PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Kyed on what he'd do with Garoppolo if the Pats plan to extend Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying we'd do that, but the way Brady is playing and assuming nothing happens, I think he has two more good years in him and is capable of playing at a high level until 40, at least.

The problem with that is Garo is already 24, right now. What I'm hoping is that he and his agent are smart enough to take a deal to stay in town for another two years rather than risk it with a franchise where the owner, GM, and HC are not on the same page. This is such a difficult offense to learn that I'd rather Garo stay in town for another two years than take the risk and start over again with a new QB.

However, I wouldn't blame Garo if he becomes antsy about not playing anytime soon.

The good thing is that BB has intentionally played very little of him and when he has, the offense has been pretty vanilla, so Garo's market value has been forcibly depressed. He's not going to find a great deal out there with so little of his NFL game on tape.

Garappolo had better get used to holding the clipboard and collecting his paychecks, because he's signed here through the 2017 season/spring of 2018--just the same as Brady.

In other words, we can revisit this situation in a couple more years and see how things are going with both of them. If Brady's still playing lights out, it may be hard to keep Jimmy, although I agree with you that it would be nice to see a 2 year extension through the 2019 season/spring of 2020. That would almost surely guarantee a smooth transition from one to the other, with the capacity to pay the new QB should his play warrant such a raise.

The biggest question would be what kind of money to offer for that 2 year extension, but that decision likely couldn't be made without knowing what the decision with Brady is going to be after the 2017 season.

They may also engage in creative activities ("fan labor")

Sometimes I consider reading and posting here "fan labor," and when it's so late at night I expect double time. Someone get the message back to Ian :cool:

EDIT: I also consider watching either of the last 2 SB losses "fan labor," and that includes any and all discussion of the subject matter.

Not saying we'd do that, but the way Brady is playing and assuming nothing happens, I think he has two more good years in him and is capable of playing at a high level until 40, at least.

The problem with that is Garo is already 24, right now. What I'm hoping is that he and his agent are smart enough to take a deal to stay in town for another two years rather than risk it with a franchise where the owner, GM, and HC are not on the same page. This is such a difficult offense to learn that I'd rather Garo stay in town for another two years than take the risk and start over again with a new QB.

However, I wouldn't blame Garo if he becomes antsy about not playing anytime soon.

The good thing is that BB has intentionally played very little of him and when he has, the offense has been pretty vanilla, so Garo's market value has been forcibly depressed. He's not going to find a great deal out there with so little of his NFL game on tape.

I'd rather he stay as well unless the value is there in a trade however I think he'll opt to bet on himself on a one year deal to make the real coin. I would. It's a short window and as you said he's already 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back