PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots4Ever

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel much more comfortable with the offense moving the chains now that Doug Gabriel has shown a bit of talent and consistency for us? Himself,Watson,and Troy Have really began to develop a bit of reporte with Tommy.I find myself excited everyweek having the opportunity to watch the guy play.He seems to be a real Steal...

Last edited:
I'm really beginning to like the guy, good brain, good hands, and always looks open. A typical 'Patriot' if you know what I mean.

BritPat said:
I'm really beginning to like the guy, good brain, good hands, and always looks open. A typical 'Patriot' if you know what I mean.

I definately Know what you mean Mate.Welcome to the Boards!

Cheers buddy.

A friend of mine out in the Oakland area told me that the trade was a steal for the Pats. We know that Randy Moss wasn't happy when they lost Gabriel. The guy comes to us with a lot of praise. Makes you wonder what the heck the Raiders were thinking in allowing this obviously-rising receiver to go for such a small price.

amazinPats said:
A friend of mine out in the Oakland area told me that the trade was a steal for the Pats. We know that Randy Moss wasn't happy when they lost Gabriel. The guy comes to us with a lot of praise. Makes you wonder what the heck the Raiders were thinking in allowing this obviously-rising receiver to go for such a small price.

That still confuses me. The 5th round isnt a throw away round but still a very low price for a potential #1 WR.

amazinPats said:
I think everyone knew it was a steal for a 5th rounder. That was practically giving talent away.

I like him for the fact that he's a legit wr and can get open, seems to have good understanding of the open zones. plus he makes the safeties creep away from the line of scrimage. reche no longer has to take the teams #1 cb which opens up more opportunities from him. i think he'll lead to more opportunities for watson and the 3rd wide out. plus it will open up running room becuase teams can't stack the box.

desi-patsfan said:
That still confuses me. The 5th round isnt a throw away round but still a very low price for a potential #1 WR.

Desi,As part of the 1000 poster club.You need a more exciting Signature :cool:

amazinPats said:

Never discount pure stupidity as a reason something happened.

especially in the worst team in football, and one the most purely managed and coached.

PlattsFan said:

especially in the worst team in football, and one the most poorly managed and coached.

PlattsFan said:

mgteich said:
especially in the worst team in football, and one the most poorly managed and coached.

agreed. that trade was just plain dumb by the raiders. but I also agree that you look for reasons when al davis makes a move this stupid. he gave a talent away. my how the mighty have fallen!

I think losing gruden was dumb.
I think hiring callahan was dumb.
I think hiring shell was dumb.
I think signing moss was dumb.

the raiders won't be good again for a while.
nice!

As a footnote:

Name: Doug Gabriel
College: Central Florida Number: 11
Height: 6-2 Weight: 213
Position: WR Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2003
40 Time: 4.52
Projected Round: Stock:
Rated number 31 out of 90 WR's

Combine Invite: yes
Height: 6022
Weight: 213
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'8"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.16
3-Cone Drill: 7.05
Wonderlic: 12

All I can say is, Thank you Al Davis! I hope you enjoy your 5th rounder. Gabriel at the very least is worth a 3rd rounder, I would have gave a mid/late 2nd.

Patriots4Ever said:
Does anyone else feel much more comfortable with the offense moving the chains now that Doug Gabriel has shown a bit of talent and consistency for us? Himself,Watson,and Troy Have really began to develop a bit of reporte with Tommy.I find myself excited everyweek having the opportunity to watch the guy play.He seems to be a real Steal...

A friend of mine (season ticket holder) said that Gabriel made no attempt to block downfield in the Denver game. Anyone else at the game notice the same thing?

kurtinelson said:
A friend of mine (season ticket holder) said that Gabriel made no attempt to block downfield in the Denver game. Anyone else at the game notice the same thing?

no, but maybe that's why they traded him.
but I think BB will be able to get him to do that.
it might take a little while.
his teammates will get on him for that here.
maybe not in oakland.

I really think that this WR core has very good potential both this year and down the road:

This year: 1) Gabriel 2) Caldwell 3) Brown 4) Jackson (HOPEFULLY moving up from 4 to 3 to #2 throughout the season)

Next year and Beyond: 1a) Gabriel 1b) Jackson 3) Caldwell 4) ??? maybe one of these guys they are trying out now?

Sure there is/was going to be transistion and growing pains without two starters from last year, but I think that this WR core has much more potential than what the two we lost had already peaked at

You are free to have your opinion. Personally, I think it far from clear that the 2007 group of Gabriel, Jackson and Caldwell will be as good as the 2005 group of Branch, Givens and Brown. I would mention that the 2005 patriot passing game was #1 in the league. I will note that I do not disagree with any of bb's wider receiver moves, and I certainly expect a couple of more before we solidify the 2007 squad. Gabriel was a steal if we gave up a 3rd.

kptmorgan04 said:
I really think that this WR core has very good potential both this year and down the road:

This year: 1) Gabriel 2) Caldwell 3) Brown 4) Jackson (HOPEFULLY moving up from 4 to 3 to #2 throughout the season)

Next year and Beyond: 1a) Gabriel 1b) Jackson 3) Caldwell 4) ??? maybe one of these guys they are trying out now?

Sure there is/was going to be transistion and growing pains without two starters from last year, but I think that this WR core has much more potential than what the two we lost had already peaked at

ATippett56 said:
As a footnote:

Name: Doug Gabriel
College: Central Florida Number: 11
Height: 6-2 Weight: 213
Position: WR Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2003
40 Time: 4.52
Projected Round: Stock:
Rated number 31 out of 90 WR's

Combine Invite: yes
Height: 6022
Weight: 213
40 Yrd Dash: 4.52
20 Yrd Dash: 2.70
10 Yrd Dash: 1.62
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 9'8"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.16
3-Cone Drill: 7.05
Wonderlic: 12
Wow that is a Wonderlic comparible to Vince Young's........ I guess i'll just leave it at that... I like Gabriel a lot.

Keegs said:
Wow that is a Wonderlic comparible to Vince Young's........ I guess i'll just leave it at that... I like Gabriel a lot.

I thought Young's was 6 or something.

Until he got to re-do it.

NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back