PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doug Gabriel Tidbit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

grapedog

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
From the links on the main Patsfans.com site...

Seau Makes a blanket statement

a good tidbit...

"Belichick said the Patriots worked on specific situations at practice, which he feels will be especially critical against the Jets, and added that receiver Doug Gabriel, acquired from the Raiders Sept. 2, has picked up the offense well"

grapedog said:
From the links on the main Patsfans.com site...

Seau Makes a blanket statement

a good tidbit...

"Belichick said the Patriots worked on specific situations at practice, which he feels will be especially critical against the Jets, and added that receiver Doug Gabriel, acquired from the Raiders Sept. 2, has picked up the offense well"

I hadn't noticed that quote. Thanks, that's good news. Now if only he and Chad can get those honey cured hams working properly...

That article was GREAT! A must read... full of interesting morsels...

I liked what BB had to say about Seau:

"The other day, Monday after the game, I was walking by the meeting room -- and this was before 6 a.m. -- and he was already in there watching film," Belichick said. "He's a football guy. He's into it."

Belichick said Seau has been fun to coach.

"He has a lot of energy on the field and he loves football," Belichick said. "He just wants to do it right, wants to win, and you can't ask any more than that."

--- Looks like Junior is serious about proving he is not washed up... he has found a team that works hard to be the best and he seems to be taking to that attitude very well. I think this guy is going to really help us this year... I think he is going to be better than Ted Johnson had he hung around this long.

Seau's quicker/faster than ted johnson.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
That article was GREAT! A must read... full of interesting morsels...
I liked what BB had to say about Seau:
"The other day, Monday after the game, I was walking by the meeting room -- and this was before 6 a.m. -- and he was already in there watching film," Belichick said. "He's a football guy. He's into it."
Belichick said Seau has been fun to coach.
"He has a lot of energy on the field and he loves football," Belichick said. "He just wants to do it right, wants to win, and you can't ask any more than that." Looks like Junior is serious about proving he is not washed up... he has found a team that works hard to be the best and he seems to be taking to that attitude very well. I think this guy is going to really help us this year... I think he is going to be better than Ted Johnson had he hung around this long.
Junior may stick around past this year. he's played for so few playoff-level teams that right now he must be really happy.

Re: Seau's quicker/faster than ted johnson.

ilduce06410 said:
Junior may stick around past this year. he's played for so few playoff-level teams that right now he must be really happy.
Maybe if we lose, and thats quite a big maybe.

But if we were to win the Super Bowl what a high note he would go out on.

Wonderful! Clearly Junior is dead serious about wanting a championship.

I think the Pats' success over the last few years is a two-edged sword. It helps to attract veteran players who have played well, but who have never won a ring, like Seau, but it is also a factor in losing good players who want big dough for being a part of that success and might also have developed a bit of a "been there, done that" attitude.

We have added a hungry vet who was at some point in his career a Pro bowler in each of the last two superbowl years. I excluded the 2001 season because I don't think New England was thought of as the best place to try and win a championship.

2003 we added Harrison in 2004 we added Dillon and last year we added noone. Hopefully Seau will fit the trend of 03 and 04.

mgcolby said:
We have added a hungry vet who was at some point in his career a Pro bowler in each of the last two superbowl years. I excluded the 2001 season because I don't think New England was thought of as the best place to try and win a championship.

2003 we added Harrison in 2004 we added Dillon and last year we added noone. Hopefully Seau will fit the trend of 03 and 04.

Although I agree, in '01, NE was not necessarily the place to be, we did add a Pro Bowl talented player that year, that was a solid addition, Bryan Cox.

Pat the Pats Fan said:
Although I agree, in '01, NE was not necessarily the place to be, we did add a Pro Bowl talented player that year, that was a solid addition, Bryan Cox.

I was going to add him but it went against my premise. I don't believe he came here thinking that this was the best place to go to try and win a championship.

grapedog said:

Before we get too excited here, we all know that BB sometimes says nice things about players that he doesn't really mean. Remember Grammatica was kicking great and Monty Beisel had made great progress, except that they didn't make the team.

Hoodie said:
Before we get too excited here, we all know that BB sometimes says nice things about players that he doesn't really mean. Remember Grammatica was kicking great and Monty Beisel had made great progress, except that they didn't make the team.

Both those things were true. Gramatica was kicking well...but Gostokowski was kicking better. Beisel did improve a lot...but he still wasn't very good.

mgcolby said:
I was going to add him but it went against my premise. I don't believe he came here thinking that this was the best place to go to try and win a championship.

I agree, Cox didn't come here thinking he would go to the Super Bowl, but I think it was our first glimpse of Hoodie's M.O. to mix experience with youth.

Pat the Pats Fan said:
I agree, Cox didn't come here thinking he would go to the Super Bowl, but I think it was our first glimpse of Hoodie's M.O. to mix experience with youth.

Good point and I think you are absolutely correct. You could throw a number of players into that category phifer, hamilton etc.. It is the same way Parcells rebuilt the Pats and the Jets and what he is trying to do in Dallas. Bring in older guys that either played in your system or can adapt to your system quick and have them show the younger guys the ropes. The key to longevity (other than staying around to sustain what you built) is drafting well and letting the young guys get older to let the cycle continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call