PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Bank's First Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I think that we are undervaluing the fact that our secondary has a high injury rate so talent and depth are crucial..

You cannot count on Wheatley/Whilite to be it.. for #2 or #1 especially w/ hobbs up FA in 2010.. we are going to get another first round pick for Cassell.. in the 18-23 range.. as well as having (2) #'s and (2) #3's .. I think that BB is going to load up on Speed and Depth in LB and CB ..

I see him grabbing a guy like Mike Brown or Dewan Landry via FA.. to go w/ Merriweather and Rodney.. and picking up a guy like Nic Harris in round 3

I am not saying they wont draft someone but I don't think there is a need for a DB in the first rd even if we pick up an extra first. My point wasn't that our secondary is set my point was that it is pretty stocked with young talent and would be much better served getting a Solid vet or 2. I do agree we got hit with the injury bug in the secondary last year and in years past but you can only have so much depth at a position because of roster limits which is again why I say a vet is more important we need a guy who knows what he is doing and not someone who is going to be learning on the job.

I am not saying they wont draft someone but I don't think there is a need for a DB in the first rd even if we pick up an extra first. My point wasn't that our secondary is set my point was that it is pretty stocked with young talent and would be much better served getting a Solid vet or 2. I do agree we got hit with the injury bug in the secondary last year and in years past but you can only have so much depth at a position because of roster limits which is again why I say a vet is more important we need a guy who knows what he is doing and not someone who is going to be learning on the job.

Understandable.. but I don't see them being big players during FA.. I think they are going to lock up guys like Wilfork / Mankins / Hobbs / Seymour etc.. not trying to mess around in 2010 w/ uncapped year.. so it is possible that they can go out and get a decent FA CB .. but I think they will be pricey.. and I think they are done w/ the Delta Oneal's of the world..

I would rather have a stable of 4 or so stud CB's competeting for jobs rather than hoping that Wheatley / Hobbs / and Whilite make it through the year healthy..

Pats Top 3 CBs (Combine measurements)

Ellis Hobbs - 5092 186
Terrence Wheatley - 5095 187
Jonathan Wilhite - 5094 185

My Favorite CBs (early stage)

Projected Round 1
D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt 5097 184

Projected Round 1-2
Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest 5087 193

Projected Round 2-3

Mike Mickens, Cincinnati 5110 176

Projected Round 4-5
Joe Burnett, Central Florida 5096 185

Note: There are at least a dozen CBs ranked through round 4 listed at 5-11 or taller. Of course, most of them aren't that good.

With his athletic ability, play at CB, and overall versatility, DJ does seem like the type of player BB would heavily consider drafting. We'll see where he's slotted to go after draft season workouts though.

Last edited:
I would rather have a stable of 4 or so stud CB's competeting for jobs rather than hoping that Wheatley / Hobbs / and Whilite make it through the year healthy..

So thats it let go of 2 of the 3 Hobbs, Whilhite, and Wheatly and bring in 4 or so studs who don't get hurt. Sounds easy enough. I know you didn't say let go of them but where does the stable fit in if not.

Of course your statement is true but its also out there as far as reality. If you could find this staple of studs whats to say they wont get hurt too. While none of the 3 are clear cut ones they all seem to be pretty good and would be OK with any of them starting next to a true # 1 CB so for lack of a true # 1 I like these guys.

Last edited:
NFL Mock Draft 2009, Version 1.0, Picks 21-32 - Don Banks - SI.com

Alphonso Smith Wake Forest 5-9 190

I would like to know what Patriots fans would feel about getting another smurf cornerback? I just get the feeling if the Patriots draft one he will be 5-9 or shorter.

People better warm up to the guy, as from everything I've read about CBs, he def. seems like he best fits the Pats system. Wouldn't shock me at all to see his name called, esp. if the Pats get an extra first or early second for Cassel.

Everything I read on the guy he sounds great, I couldn't care less about his height. Just make sure he isn't isolated on an endzone fade route vs. a 6'3 guy and you're fine.

So thats it let go of 2 of the 3 Hobbs, Whilhite, and Wheatly and bring in 4 or so studs who don't get hurt. Sounds easy enough. I know you didn't say let go of them but where does the stable fit in if not.

Of course your statement is true but its also out there as far as reality. If you could find this staple of studs whats to say they wont get hurt too. While none of the 3 are clear cut ones they all seem to be pretty good and would be OK with any of them starting next to a true # 1 CB so for lack of a true # 1 I like these guys.

Sorry If I made it out to seem that I wanted to replace all of them.. thats not what I meant..

I meant adding another 2 via draft to the stable of Hobbs/Wheatley/Whilite.. In contex to Whilite/Wheatley and 2 new draft picks fighting for #2 and slot DB..

Hope this helps..

Last edited:
NFL Mock Draft 2009, Version 1.0, Picks 21-32 - Don Banks - SI.com

Alphonso Smith Wake Forest 5-9 190

I would like to know what Patriots fans would feel about getting another smurf cornerback? I just get the feeling if the Patriots draft one he will be 5-9 or shorter.

I love this pick. Smith has everything that BB looks for in a CB.

- Superior Ball Skills
- Super quick twitch
- Equally adept at zone or man coverage
- Decent in run support
- Instincts
- Intelligence

However BB can find guys almost exactly like Smith in later rounds; Burnett for example. So why would BB use a first rounder on a CB? It does not make sense, especially if Smith is just going to play in our soft zone defense.

This defense needs a guy that can dirty the jersey of the opposing team's QB, either pressure or sack on a regular basis. Not even CB Mike Haynes could cover receivers for 5 plus seconds.

I love this pick. Smith has everything that BB looks for in a CB.

- Superior Ball Skills
- Super quick twitch
- Equally adept at zone or man coverage
- Decent in run support
- Instincts
- Intelligence

However BB can find guys almost exactly like Smith in later rounds; Burnett for example. So why would BB use a first rounder on a CB? It does not make sense, especially if Smith is just going to play in our soft zone defense.

This defense needs a guy that can dirty the jersey of the opposing team's QB, either pressure or sack on a regular basis. Not even CB Mike Haynes could cover receivers for 5 plus seconds.

I think BB's playing soft zone out of necessity. If he had a guy, like Asomugha or the earlier incarnation of Champ Bailey, who could play in the receiver's hip pocket, I'm sure he'd love to go with some kind of man. I don't know if Smith is that guy, but if so, take him.

I like our corners....

20150_Australian_Football_Smurf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye