PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins, two other teams negotiating with Jason Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what to make of this blurb. My thought is that if the reporter really had anything, he would have published it as a headline, rather than, just that, a blurb. The term "negotiating" could mean a lot of things. Taylor sat down with the Dolphins before the draft, and this entire time could be seen as ongoing negotiations. It seems that no other Dolphin beat writer has mentioned anything, with the only post-draft reference being Ireland saying Taylor was an "acorn" to be decided upon.

I am starting to get down on Taylor because he doesn't seem to have the fire like Junior Seau or some of the other free agents that have come this way. Clearly Miami is not championship caliber and he is content in staying closer to home. How much passion is he going to bring to this organization that is ready NOW to win a championship?

Re: Dolphins, two other teams negotiating with Jason Taylor.

I expect Taylor to return to Miami.

I do too. In fact, I felt that ever since the first report I heard about him "talking" to Miami. His family never left the city, his foundation is there and, for all I know, he probably loves the year-round good weather. Would you leave South Beach to play in the NE winter?:p

In my opinion, if Taylor returns to Miami, he's a freakin' tool! Last year, Taylor wanted out so badly so he could go to a contender. Well, he got his wish, but he didn't get traded to a contender. Now he has the choice to sign with anybody and the thought that he would want to go back to Miami is mind boggling. I understand his family lives there, I'm talking about playing for a certain team. He mind as well retire because Miami isn't going to win a super bowl anytime soon.

Last edited:

There's a subtle difference between contender and favorite. We were the favorites in SB 42, but the 11-5 Giants won the game. Dolphins were an 11-5 playoff team last year, so if JT feels he's going to get a better role for himself there, I don't think the contender argument is going to work against that.

Or he might come to the conclusion the 2008 Dolphins played way above their heads and aren't likely to duplicate the 11 wins in 2009. I could see the Dolphins going either way this year. 11 wins or below .500.

Or he might come to the conclusion the 2008 Dolphins played way above their heads and aren't likely to duplicate the 11 wins in 2009

That's certainly the conclusion that I've come to. They're not sneaking up on anybody this year with that wildcat garbage, and their defense will be exposed by the Pats and the Jets (oh yeah, I went there).

Last edited:

Or he might come to the conclusion the 2008 Dolphins played way above their heads and aren't likely to duplicate the 11 wins in 2009. I could see the Dolphins going either way this year. 11 wins or below .500.

Firstly, I don't think Taylor's head is in the game right now.....too many other diversions. He was a BUST in Washington and has refused any preseason workouts. I do not see him coming here. Lastly, do you really see Miami racking up 11 wins this coming season against a TOUGH schedule not the creampie/joke schedule they played last year? They will be hard pressed to break .500 next year.....Maybe 9-7 at best ......

If Jason Taylor does not want to come here so be it, will live and die with Tully, Crable and Woods..

Firstly, I don't think Taylor's head is in the game right now.....too many other diversions. He was a BUST in Washington and has refused any preseason workouts. I do not see him coming here. Lastly, do you really see Miami racking up 11 wins this coming season against a TOUGH schedule not the creampie/joke schedule they played last year? They will be hard pressed to break .500 next year.....Maybe 9-7 at best ......

Taylor was a bust because he suffered an injury that likely would have killed him if he didn't have emergency surgery? How do you figure that one? The fact that he was back out playing as quickly as he was is astounding. When he came back, though, Zorn didn't use him regularly.

Taylor, like many veterans, have their own training regimen. After umpteen years in the league, Taylor knows what needs to be done to get himself ready.

From an outsiders perspective, sure, I agree. Athlete's have a way of thinking they can make the difference themselves sometimes. Perhaps he feels that the Dolphins + him are over the top.

I don't know really, I just don't think he's going to dismiss the Dolphins as a contender in HIS mind, not mine.

Given Matt Light's moves in the Sobe commercial and Taylor's Dancing with the Stars experience can't we just have a dance-off?

A few things, what hurt Taylor last year was competiting in Dancing with the Stars. I heard Jerry Rice talk about it when it was announced Taylor would participate and Rice said even then that it would hurt his 2008 season because Taylor would lose too much weight. Taylor may have been in football shape last year.

Also, Taylor was in Washington by the end of the first week of camp. As long as he is conditioning to play football, he shouldn't have a problem.

As for him being a bust in Washington. I think it is because I don't think he can be a hands in the dirt 4-3 DE anymore. No matter where he goes, he is better suited to be an OLB in the 3-4. Like Willie Mac, I think his production will rebound and he will be able to extend his career. He probably will never get close to the 2007 DPOY performance he had, but he should be far more productive than last year as long as he goes to Miami or New England.

I still think that Miami is a smoke screen. I still can't get passed Breer's comment during WEEI's draft coverage. If you missed it, he basically said that Joey Porter would become a big problem if Taylor came back. When Taylor was there it was TAYLOR who played on the weak side, and Porter on the TE side. Remember this was the year Taylor was the DPOY while Porter was a bust in Miami. When Taylor defected to the Skins, Porter became the weakside OLB and lo and behold lead the league in sacks. According to Breer, he never liked playing on the TE side, and was vocal about it. If Taylor came back to Miami, Porter would sh!t bricks, because he'd resist going back to the TE side, and that's where Taylor plays. It would be real a can of worms for the Dolphins, so that's why Breer thinks any move by the Dolphins to sign Taylor is a PR smokescreen.

Guys, if its true, it just makes too much sense. GOD I hope its true. ;)

I think that if JT comes to New England, BB will find ways to maximize his ability. He's got the best chance to win here and the Pats will be a better team with him, so I hope we get him. If we don't, it's not the end of the world. And I wouldn't call anybody a 'tool' for choosing to be with their family. It all depends on where his priorities lie though. If you recall there was a certain WR who passed on playing with NE because his wife didn't like the area.

There's a subtle difference between contender and favorite. We were the favorites in SB 42, but the 11-5 Giants won the game. Dolphins were an 11-5 playoff team last year, so if JT feels he's going to get a better role for himself there, I don't think the contender argument is going to work against that.

Everyone knows that MIA was only a playoff team last year due to Tom Brady being injured all season and MIA springing a gimic offense on everyone that took half the season to finally adjust for.

They were a fading star by the end of the season and I don't anticipate a change to that this season, especially if Brady stays healthy. We will sweep them on our way to the division title and the playoffs.

So yes, I think the "contender" argument has some weight behind it. It's not enough to eek into the playoffs, JT wants a ring. Do you really think the Dolphins have a good chance of delivering that? I don't

*** Update: Read Sicilian's response to a similar post. Maybe in Taylor's mind they are a contender... at least with him on board. I get it now. I would disagree with Taylor's assessment, but his opinion is the only one that matters in this case. ***

Last edited:

*** Update: Read Sicilian's response to a similar post. Maybe in JT's mind they are a contender... at least with him on board. I get it now. I would disagree with JT's assessment in that case, but his opinion is the only one that matters in this case. ***

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the Dolphins were widely considered on par with the Patriots. Far from it :D

I really do think it's going to come down to his family. If he really feels he needs to be closer to them for half the games, he'll choose Miami. If they'll understand he wants to play in the best situation for him, I think he'll choose New England.

Of course, money is the big X factor, and I have no idea where $$ rank on his priority list right now.

The Patriots still have a "strong interest" in free agent Jason Taylor, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Taylor is expected to make a decision within the next week or two, with the Pats and Bucs as the most likely destinations. The Dolphins haven't shown much interest in bringing the former All-Pro back to Miami.
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Related: Dolphins, Patriots, Buccaneers

Miami Dolphins: Patriots show strong interest in Jason Taylor; Dolphins' interest not serious -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

"Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland, who said Sunday night after the draft that he's "always looking for pass rushers," was asked about the team's interest in Taylor. "We haven't talked about it too much, to be honest with you," Ireland said. "That's one of our acorns sitting on the ground. We haven't made a decision."

One of our acorns sitting on the ground?? I doubt Taylor has any interest in going to a team that can't decide whether he is worthy of their attention. They've apparently developed an arrogance in Miami, apparently. I can't wait to see them brought back to earth this year. I'd put my money on the Pats with Taylor.

One of our acorns sitting on the ground?? I doubt Taylor has any interest in going to a team that can't decide whether he is worthy of their attention. They've apparently developed an arrogance in Miami, apparently. I can't wait to see them brought back to earth this year. I'd put my money on the Pats with Taylor.

Probably just public posturing, that said, I put it at 70-30 he comes here. its probably going to come down to money, how low will he go in other words.

Brady needs to get involved...they have been friends for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back