PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the NFL do this on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a bold prediction considering the preseason means nothing and starters havent played more than a half of each game, and the Jets best defensive player hasnt even reported to camp yet. I would expect him to sign within the next few days and I think some media members have reported this as well.

Actually, It's Mangold who is supposed to get his new deal in a couple of days. Revis and the Jets are still worlds apart.

While the Jets starters haven't played more than a half each, they've been horrid. Sanchez looks worse than some High School QBs.

It is a completely different team than the one we played last November. A lot has changed since then. The Jets made their deep run in the playoffs and they also got better this off season. You have to give them credit when it is due. I still think the Pats can beat them, but it wont be easy and it definitely will not be a blow out.

The Jets got better? How? Because they added Cromartie and Tomlinson? Because they let their best RB walk? Because they've alienated their best defensive player? Because they traded Washington and drafted a kid who can't even hold his chow?

Actually, every other reporter including both local Jets reporters and national ones dispute Cawlishaw's report and say Revis and the Jets are nowhere close to a deal. Many think Cawlishaw mistook Mangold with Revis since Mangold is about to anounce a new deal with the Jets.

I wouldn't bet on Revis being signed by the first week of the season. I don't think the Jets want to give him $30-40 million in guarantees with uncertainty with the CBA and the 2011 season. I don't see a long term deal in his immediate future. If he is in, I am betting he gets a deal like one year $15 million and the Jets agree not to pick up his two year option and make him a free agent after this season.

Yes I am aware. I read the link that a previously posted linked saying the exact same thing that you did.

I do agree with you that the Jets dont want to give Revis big money in guarantees and a long term deal. I think as the season gets closer Revis will probably lessen his demands and make a deal happen, maybe settling on like you said a one year deal. I just dont think both Revis and the Jets would want him not to be on the field week 1, especially with all the team has done in the off season to make a run at a championship

The Jets got better? How? Because they added Cromartie and Tomlinson? Because they let their best RB walk? Because they've alienated their best defensive player? Because they traded Washington and drafted a kid who can't even hold his chow?

I agree. I think the Jets offseason has been way overhyped. If the Jets offense that hit the field this past Saturday might is anything like the Jets offense of the regular season, the Jets are not the same team the Pats faced last November - they are worse.

BTW, based on what we have seen so far, the Pats are not the same team that faced the Jets in November. They appear to be strong at secondary and have tons of weapons of Brady to throw two which were two of the biggest weaknesses this team had last year.

Last edited:

You are just another homer refusing that the Jets got better this off season. There is no shame in admitting that.

Yeah they let their best RB from last season walk, but Greene showed promise last year when he actually played so it isnt like they didnt have anyone to replace Jones. Adding Tomlinson definitely improves their running game. He actually looked pretty good vs the Giants.

The one position that I will say they might have got worse in is the OL. Losing Fancea is tough and they didnt really add anyone to replace him.

When a team adds Cromartie, Tomlinson, Holmes, Taylor and drafted Kyle Wilson they obviously are better than they were the year before especially when they didnt lose a significant amount of impact players.

I agree. I think the Jets offseason has been way overhyped. If the Jets offense that hit the field this past Saturday might is anything like the Jets offense of the regular season, the Jets are not the same team the Pats faced last November - they are worse.

BTW, based on what we have seen so far, the Pats are not the same team that faced the Jets in November. They appear to be strong at secondary and have tons of weapons of Brady to throw two which were two of the biggest weaknesses this team had last year.

The same goes to you as DaBruinz, you are another homer that wont give credit to the Jets where it is due. Last Saturday means absolutely nothing, you cannot take much from a preseason game when it comes to a whole unit. They still have 2 weeks to improve and the only thing that matters is how they look that first week. If you want to say that since the Jets didnt look that great Saturday means that they will be worse than last year, go right ahead it just shows how much your football knowledge is lacking.

Yeah, we are a better team than we were the last time we played the Jets as well. The Jets improved this off season more than we did. We didnt do anything in free agency, the only real significant addition is McCourty. The Jets added players that have already proven themselves in the league. The Pats are just banking on players improving from last year because of experience. The Jets had a more successful off season than the Pats did, but that doesnt mean that the Jets will be better than the Pats this year, the players still need to perform on the field.

You are just another homer refusing that the Jets got better this off season. There is no shame in admitting that.

Yeah they let their best RB from last season walk, but Greene showed promise last year when he actually played so it isnt like they didnt have anyone to replace Jones. Adding Tomlinson definitely improves their running game. He actually looked pretty good vs the Giants.

The one position that I will say they might have got worse in is the OL. Losing Fancea is tough and they didnt really add anyone to replace him.

When a team adds Cromartie, Tomlinson, Holmes, Taylor and drafted Kyle Wilson they obviously are better than they were the year before especially when they didnt lose a significant amount of impact players.

They also want to put the ball more in Sanchez's hand who still is an immature QB who is streaky and prone to really bad decisions now with a weaker line. I am not convinced that Greene as the primary back and LT as the change of pace is an upgrade or even status quo to Thomas Jones as the lead back and Greene as the back up. I don't trust either Greene or Tomlinson over a 16 game schedule.

Cromartie and Wilson have played well so far, but they haven't really faced great passing offenses. Eli Manning was the best Qb they have faced and he was without his best WR.

Jason Taylor has done nothing so far. I haven't heard anything out of the guy positive or negative. So far in two preseason games, he has has had only one tackle and that was an assist. No sacks. I don't think that is a great sign that he will make an impact on the Jets.

Holmes is an upgrade, but since Sanchez seems scared to throw down field both preseason games, we don't know if he will help the team. So far this preseason he has had 4 catches for 55 yards, but none of them were passes by Mark Sanchez (all were by Kellen Clemens against the Giants' second defense).

The same goes to you as DaBruinz, you are another homer that wont give credit to the Jets where it is due. Last Saturday means absolutely nothing, you cannot take much from a preseason game when it comes to a whole unit. They still have 2 weeks to improve and the only thing that matters is how they look that first week. If you want to say that since the Jets didnt look that great Saturday means that they will be worse than last year, go right ahead it just shows how much your football knowledge is lacking.

Yeah, we are a better team than we were the last time we played the Jets as well. The Jets improved this off season more than we did. We didnt do anything in free agency, the only real significant addition is McCourty. The Jets added players that have already proven themselves in the league. The Pats are just banking on players improving from last year because of experience. The Jets had a more successful off season than the Pats did, but that doesnt mean that the Jets will be better than the Pats this year, the players still need to perform on the field.

And you are an insufferable bastard who biatches about everything the Pats do and preaches doom and gloom year after year, game after game, play after play. So Brandon Spikes, Aaron Hernandez, Gronkowski, and Brandon Tate aren't new players this year? And look to make some impact? Yes, Tate was here last year, but injured.

As for additions, how many Super Bowls has Daniel Snyder won so far? The Jets are taking the Snyder approach picking up big named washed up players and problem children. I have yet to see a team be successful doing that in recent history. Just because they added names doesn't mean they will be better. They could be, but I don't think it is a guarantee. The Redskins has shown a lot of talented indiviuals does not equate into a great team all the time.

Last edited:
They also want to put the ball more in Sanchez's hand who still is an immature QB who is streaky and prone to really bad decisions now with a weaker line. I am not convinced that Greene as the primary back and LT as the change of pace is an upgrade or even status quo to Thomas Jones as the lead back and Greene as the back up. I don't trust either Greene or Tomlinson over a 16 game schedule.

Cromartie and Wilson have played well so far, but they haven't really faced great passing offenses. Eli Manning was the best Qb they have faced and he was without his best WR.

Jason Taylor has done nothing so far. I haven't heard anything out of the guy positive or negative. So far in two preseason games, he has has had only one tackle and that was an assist. No sacks. I don't think that is a great sign that he will make an impact on the Jets.

Holmes is an upgrade, but since Sanchez seems scared to throw down field both preseason games, we don't know if he will help the team. So far this preseason he has had 4 catches for 55 yards, but none of them were passes by Mark Sanchez (all were by Kellen Clemens against the Giants' second defense).

Again with all the preseason stats, they mean nothing. Guys are only on the field for one or two series a game. How can you knock on Taylor for not getting a sack when he is only playing 2 series'? Holmes will most definitely improve the team. How many plays have he and Sanchez actually been playing at the same time? Greene and Tomlinson will be fine. They can hold up over a full season because each doesnt have to be on the field every play. You are looking too much into preseason and stats, they have little to no barring on what will happen during the year. Randy Moss doesnt have a TD this preseason, by your logic he is going to have a tough year, and since Brady hasnt connected on a deep ball he is going to struggle throwing that this year

And you are an insufferable bastard who biatches about everything the Pats do and preaches doom and gloom year after year, game after game, play after play. So Brandon Spikes, Aaron Hernandez, Gronkowski, and Brandon Tate aren't new players this year? And look to make some impact? Yes, Tate was here last year, but injured.

As for additions, how many Super Bowls has Daniel Snyder won so far? The Jets are taking the Snyder approach picking up big named washed up players and problem children. I have yet to see a team be successful doing that in recent history. Just because they added names doesn't mean they will be better. They could be, but I don't think it is a guarantee. The Redskins has shown a lot of talented indiviuals does not equate into a great team all the time.

The Pats added those players but they all have the same thing in common; they havent done anything in the league yet. They are all rookies with the exception of Tate who pretty much is a rookie concidering his injury last season. All of the Jets players that they added are proven players in the league. We dont know what all of those players are like, it is really tough to count on all those rookies to have significant impacts.

The Jets went to the AFCCG last year and then added all of these players. How many times did the Redskins go to the NFCCG and then add a good amount of players the next off season? I am a die hard Pats fans and hate the Jets, but I am also rational and give credit where it is due

Again with all the preseason stats, they mean nothing. Guys are only on the field for one or two series a game. How can you knock on Taylor for not getting a sack when he is only playing 2 series'? Holmes will most definitely improve the team. How many plays have he and Sanchez actually been playing at the same time? Greene and Tomlinson will be fine. They can hold up over a full season because each doesnt have to be on the field every play. You are looking too much into preseason and stats, they have little to no barring on what will happen during the year. Randy Moss doesnt have a TD this preseason, by your logic he is going to have a tough year, and since Brady hasnt connected on a deep ball he is going to struggle throwing that this year

Ummmm... You do realize that Taylor is a back up and has played extended time with the twos and hasn't done anything against back up players. He has been an invisible man in training camp too. I think any honest Jets fan would be a bit concerned that he might not be much of an improvement. Considering some Jets fans are talking Adalius Thomas again, they seem to be. The guy is going to be 36 in two weeks. It isn't inconceivable that he could have hit the age wall in a defense that might not suit his skills.

As for the Moss and Holmes comparisons, it isn't the same. Moss has shown some good stuff with the ones even if he hasn't gotten a TD. Holmes hasn't. The word in training camp is that the passing offense has been pretty ineffective with flashes of explosiveness. Sanchez is completing about 50% of his passes and throwing a bunch of picks with the occassional beautiful pass. Pretty much what he has shown in the preseason so far.

You don't know if either Greene or LT can hold up for a whole season. Both have spotty injury history (at least recently . Greene was sidelined by bruised ribs and his running style opens him up to injuries. So far Greene has not been impressive this preseason (11 rushes for 36 yards). LT has shown a fewflashes, but not been consistent. As you pointed out, the o-line could be down graded and a weaken o-line could make the running game worse even if the RBs are upgraded.

I am not looking too much into the preseason. It is all we have so far. I clarify that in my posts and say if it is any indication.

I mean you are using the preseason to argue LT being an upgrade since the LT of the last two years is certainly not an upgrade and the only thing that disproves he isn't washed up and three steps slower than he used to be. Cromartie is the same thing. He has been mediocre since 2007 and the Cromartie of the last two years is not much of an upgrade over Lito Sheppard. You seem to want to only look at the preseason when it supports your argument.

The Pats added those players but they all have the same thing in common; they havent done anything in the league yet. They are all rookies with the exception of Tate who pretty much is a rookie concidering his injury last season. All of the Jets players that they added are proven players in the league. We dont know what all of those players are like, it is really tough to count on all those rookies to have significant impacts.

The Jets went to the AFCCG last year and then added all of these players. How many times did the Redskins go to the NFCCG and then add a good amount of players the next off season? I am a die hard Pats fans and hate the Jets, but I am also rational and give credit where it is due

So since Cromartie and LT had peaked in 2007 and had huge drop off in production since, they are proven studs? Since Jason Taylor has dropping in talent and will be 36 on September 1st, he is a proven stud. You seem to include Kyle Wilson

The Jets should have been an 8-8 team and out of the playoffs. They backed in and caught lightning in the bottle. Doesn't mean they are even good enough to get back into the playoffs. They were mediocre most of the year and very good for two and a half games. The 2007 Giants were a team like that and two years later, they were in shambles. The 2008 Cardinals were like that and were close to winning a Super Bowl and were only 10-6 in one of the weakest divisions in football the following year. The Pittsburgh Steelers backed into the playoffs in 2005 and beat the unbeatable Colts on the way to a Super Bowl win and then went 8-8 the next year. Heck the 2001 Patriots were such a team. They won the Super Bowl and went 9-7 and missed the playoffs the next year and struggled mightily on defense.

We don't know if this Jets' team is building on a team that should have been .500 or was a strong playoff team that got to the Championship game. Far too soon to tell. People just assume they are the team that went to the AFCCG and not the team that even Rex Ryan though was eliminated from the playoffs in week 15. They could have found their grove when they hit the playoffs or they were just lucky to get in and snuck up on a few teams that played like they were just happy to be there (you can definitely say that about Cincy).

I'm not sold on the Jets. I think they were the 8-8 team that caught lightning in the bottle, but I admit I could be wrong. Many people thought that about the 2001 Patriots and they were kinda right because that team did go 9-7 and missed the playoffs the next year. It wasn't until Belichick retooled the team and revamped the entire secondary minus Law to get the 2003 and 2004 team.

Last edited:
Ummmm... You do realize that Taylor is a back up and has played extended time with the twos and hasn't done anything against back up players. He has been an invisible man in training camp too. I think any honest Jets fan would be a bit concerned that he might not be much of an improvement. Considering some Jets fans are talking Adalius Thomas again, they seem to be. The guy is going to be 36 in two weeks. It isn't inconceivable that he could have hit the age wall in a defense that might not suit his skills.

As for the Moss and Holmes comparisons, it isn't the same. Moss has shown some good stuff with the ones even if he hasn't gotten a TD. Holmes hasn't. The word in training camp is that the passing offense has been pretty ineffective with flashes of explosiveness. Sanchez is completing about 50% of his passes and throwing a bunch of picks with the occassional beautiful pass. Pretty much what he has shown in the preseason so far.

You don't know if either Greene or LT can hold up for a whole season. Both have spotty injury history (at least recently . Greene was sidelined by bruised ribs and his running style opens him up to injuries. So far Greene has not been impressive this preseason (11 rushes for 36 yards). LT has shown a fewflashes, but not been consistent. As you pointed out, the o-line could be down graded and a weaken o-line could make the running game worse even if the RBs are upgraded.

I am not looking too much into the preseason. It is all we have so far. I clarify that in my posts and say if it is any indication.

I mean you are using the preseason to argue LT being an upgrade since the LT of the last two years is certainly not an upgrade and the only thing that disproves he isn't washed up and three steps slower than he used to be. Cromartie is the same thing. He has been mediocre since 2007 and the Cromartie of the last two years is not much of an upgrade over Lito Sheppard. You seem to want to only look at the preseason when it supports your argument.

The play of any players this preseason has nothing to do with my argument. You are saying that because the Jets new players/offensive hasnt been outstanding this preseason you are saying that the signings wont make the Jets any better than they were last season. My point is that they will make the Jets better because they have proven themselves in the league. Yeah, they are all veterans and some nearing the end of their career but look at the Pats during their SB years, a lot of their players were nearing the ends of their careers.

Jason Taylor is definitely isnt what he was back during the prime of his career but he sure isnt going to hurt a team. The Jets didnt sign him to get 8 sacks a season, they signed him to provide leadership and be a quality backup for their defense. If the Pats signed Taylor this off season I think you wouldnt be talking about him hitting the wall, you would say it was a good very low risk signing, which is the case for him and the Jets.

Have you attended Jets training camp? Do you know exactly what has happened? Every team has its ups and downs in training camp. Holmes is with his first year with the Jets and Sanchez is only in his 2nd year, they arent going to click right away. The Jets offensive isnt really built on an explosive passing attack, its more focused on their running game.

LT and Greene is a lot better than Jones and Washington. I dont need to use the preseason to argue that. LT still has some years left and for once he is healthy going into a season. Greene ran well when he was given the opportunity last year. The Jets offensive is better than last year, there is no way around that. Sanchez isnt a rookie anymore, they are improved at WR and added one of the best RBs of the decade.

So since Cromartie and LT had peaked in 2007 and had huge drop off in production since, they are proven studs? Since Jason Taylor has dropping in talent and will be 36 on September 1st, he is a proven stud. You seem to include Kyle Wilson

The Jets should have been an 8-8 team and out of the playoffs. They backed in and caught lightning in the bottle. Doesn't mean they are even good enough to get back into the playoffs. They were mediocre most of the year and very good for two and a half games. The 2007 Giants were a team like that and two years later, they were in shambles. The 2008 Cardinals were like that and were close to winning a Super Bowl and were only 10-6 in one of the weakest divisions in football the following year. The Pittsburgh Steelers backed into the playoffs in 2005 and beat the unbeatable Colts on the way to a Super Bowl win and then went 8-8 the next year. Heck the 2001 Patriots were such a team. They won the Super Bowl and went 9-7 and missed the playoffs the next year and struggled mightily on defense.

We don't know if this Jets' team is building on a team that should have been .500 or was a strong playoff team that got to the Championship game. Far too soon to tell. People just assume they are the team that went to the AFCCG and not the team that even Rex Ryan though was eliminated from the playoffs in week 15. They could have found their grove when they hit the playoffs or they were just lucky to get in and snuck up on a few teams that played like they were just happy to be there (you can definitely say that about Cincy).

I'm not sold on the Jets. I think they were the 8-8 team that caught lightning in the bottle, but I admit I could be wrong. Many people thought that about the 2001 Patriots and they were kinda right because that team did go 9-7 and missed the playoffs the next year. It wasn't until Belichick retooled the team and revamped the entire secondary minus Law to get the 2003 and 2004 team.

I never used the word stud for any of those players. When you add 4 or 5 of proven veterans you are going to get some improvement. None of them will be MVPs but they will all definitely contribute, thus making the Jets better.

Give the Jets credit, yeah they caught a break with the Colts and somehow got into the playoffs, but once they got there they made the best of it and played 2 really solid games and beat 2 good football teams. That definitely gave them something to build on for this season. They had a very good off season and have given themselves a good chance of improving themselves this year.

I never used the word stud for any of those players. When you add 4 or 5 of proven veterans you are going to get some improvement. None of them will be MVPs but they will all definitely contribute, thus making the Jets better.

Give the Jets credit, yeah they caught a break with the Colts and somehow got into the playoffs, but once they got there they made the best of it and played 2 really solid games and beat 2 good football teams. That definitely gave them something to build on for this season. They had a very good off season and have given themselves a good chance of improving themselves this year.

I do give them credit. I gave the 2001 Pats credit too and they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs in 2002. I gave the 2005 Steelers credit and they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs in 2006. Even Mike Felger who loves to bash the Pats and hype the Jets for getting big name players says he has no idea what type of team the Jets will have and isn't high on them.

As for guys like Cromartie, there is a reason that the Jets get them for next to nothing. He is Lito Sheppard 2.0. He might be a bit better, but like Sheppard he is a player who has played mediocre football the last few years who everyone thinks will have a re-emergence in New York.

The Dolphins could have had Taylor for next to nothing since he wanted to play for them and not the Jets and they passed eventhough they knew that means he would sign with the Jets. That says a lot. BTW, Ryan is on record saying that Taylor will have double digit sacks as a pass rush specialist. Personally, I think Taylor at this age is better suited for a read and react defense than an attack defense.

As for these guys contributing, contributing may make the Jets better, but possibly not significantly. I think a guy like Holmes may be a curse because the Jets are more committed to pass the ball more and Sanchez has yet to prove he can be successful carrying the offense and throwing the ball more than 19 times a game (the Jets are 1-8 when he throws 20 or more times a game).

The play of any players this preseason has nothing to do with my argument. You are saying that because the Jets new players/offensive hasnt been outstanding this preseason you are saying that the signings wont make the Jets any better than they were last season. My point is that they will make the Jets better because they have proven themselves in the league. Yeah, they are all veterans and some nearing the end of their career but look at the Pats during their SB years, a lot of their players were nearing the ends of their careers.

Jason Taylor is definitely isnt what he was back during the prime of his career but he sure isnt going to hurt a team. The Jets didnt sign him to get 8 sacks a season, they signed him to provide leadership and be a quality backup for their defense. If the Pats signed Taylor this off season I think you wouldnt be talking about him hitting the wall, you would say it was a good very low risk signing, which is the case for him and the Jets.

Have you attended Jets training camp? Do you know exactly what has happened? Every team has its ups and downs in training camp. Holmes is with his first year with the Jets and Sanchez is only in his 2nd year, they arent going to click right away. The Jets offensive isnt really built on an explosive passing attack, its more focused on their running game.

LT and Greene is a lot better than Jones and Washington. I dont need to use the preseason to argue that. LT still has some years left and for once he is healthy going into a season. Greene ran well when he was given the opportunity last year. The Jets offensive is better than last year, there is no way around that. Sanchez isnt a rookie anymore, they are improved at WR and added one of the best RBs of the decade.

I haven't attended any Jets camp, but I found this new great invention called the Internet. Perhaps you haven't heard about it yet because it is so new, but it is great and all the beat writers actually give recaps of what they saw in camp including things like how many passes Sanchez completes in the amount of times he throws and how often he is intercepted.

So you don't need the preseason to know that Greene and LT are better. Apparently, you don't even need facts or any shread of tangible evidence to know that. Greene was mediocre in the regular season last year and he was given chances. The only games he shined were in a blow out in Oakland after Jones did all the work and against the Colts' back ups. As for LT, the guy has not been a decent back in two years.

Last edited:
I do give them credit. I gave the 2001 Pats credit too and they went 9-7 and missed the playoffs in 2002. I gave the 2005 Steelers credit and they went 8-8 and missed the playoffs in 2006. Even Mike Felger who loves to bash the Pats and hype the Jets for getting big name players says he has no idea what type of team the Jets will have and isn't high on them.

As for guys like Cromartie, there is a reason that the Jets get them for next to nothing. He is Lito Sheppard 2.0. He might be a bit better, but like Sheppard he is a player who has played mediocre football the last few years who everyone thinks will have a re-emergence in New York.

The Dolphins could have had Taylor for next to nothing since he wanted to play for them and not the Jets and they passed eventhough they knew that means he would sign with the Jets. That says a lot. BTW, Ryan is on record saying that Taylor will have double digit sacks as a pass rush specialist. Personally, I think Taylor at this age is better suited for a read and react defense than an attack defense.

As for these guys contributing, contributing may make the Jets better, but possibly not significantly. I think a guy like Holmes may be a curse because the Jets are more committed to pass the ball more and Sanchez has yet to prove he can be successful carrying the offense and throwing the ball more than 19 times a game (the Jets are 1-8 when he throws 20 or more times a game).

That is what this whole argument was about, at first you said that the Jets are not better than they were last year. Now, you just said they they "may" be better. I guess you finally kind of realize that with all the signings that they Jets made they will be better this season. The Patriots are a better team too and so are the Dolphins. All this means that it will be a very competitive AFC East and an exciting season.

That is what this whole argument was about, at first you said that the Jets are not better than they were last year. Now, you just said they they "may" be better. I guess you finally kind of realize that with all the signings that they Jets made they will be better this season. The Patriots are a better team too and so are the Dolphins. All this means that it will be a very competitive AFC East and an exciting season.

First, better than 8-8 is a long way to go to be dominant assuming the jets were the Jets of the regular season and not the playoffs. These additions may make the Jets better, but they may not offset the losses of guys like Faneca or Jones. So if Holmes makes the passing game better, but the loss of Jones and Faneca makes the running game worse; will it make the team as a whole better. I still don't love the LT addition for them or the Cromartie one (he might make some great plays here and there, but he will give up big ones). I actually liked the Jason Taylor addition for them when it happened, but so far the guy seems lost in the shuffle.

Personally, I see the Jets right now as around 7-10 wins. If the breaks go against them this season, seven wins. If the breaks go with them, ten or possibly eleven wins. I still think they are closer to the team in the regular season than the one in the post season and nothing I have really seen has really swayed me in any way. I would be concerned about the mental toughness of the Jets if I was a fan since everything I have seen or read is that they are not the most focused bunch in training camp.

I think people are overrating this division as a whole including the Pats (at least on this board). I am encouraged with what I see and I like the Pats' chances to win the division, but I am still not convinced that this division will produce more than one playoff team. I think the Pats can win 11 games if everything goes right, maybe 12. If everything goes wrong, it could be a 9 win team. I think the elite teams of the conference will come from another division though.

Last edited:
The NFL schedule is definitely not random.

They take many things into account, the first of which is not to schedule the Jets and Giants with the same home date/time.

Another thing that they look at is the road schedule. You won't see at team with 4 road games in a row.

They also take travel into consideration. For example, just think back to 2008 when the Pats had to play the NFC West and AFC West divisions. That included road games to Oakland, Seattle, San Diego, and San Francisco. If you recall, the schedule had them making two trips out west by playing back to back games on the coast(first San Diego/San Francisco, then Seattle/Oakland).

I don't think the Jets will be better at anything outside of WR. Jason Taylor is about as washed up as it gets. And I was saying that when there was supposedly interest in the guy from the Pats. I didn't want him here. He was always a liability against the run but his pass rushing skills greatly diminished over the last couple of years. He's just with the Jets hoping for a Super Bowl at this point. Their offense revolved around the run last season and they lost their best run blocking offensive lineman and replaced him with a rookie who isn't even taking snaps with the first string in preseason games.

They lost Thomas Jones and replaced him with Shonn Greene (who I like), but also lost the most dangerous third down man in the division (who looks good with Seattle so far) and replaced him with Joe McKnight, who never impressed at USC and looks to be a bust waiting to happen. Contract negotiations appear to be going swimmingly with their young franchise center... not so much with their All-Pro CB whom the defense revolves around. They will either pay him something approaching $16M/year (which will handicap the salary cap when a new CBA is agreed upon) or they will lose him.

So, outside of Santonio, I'm not sure how they got better. Even then, Holmes will be out of the line-up when they will need him the most, which is early in the season. On top of that, Sanchez has looked absolutely terrible with what little time he has seen in the preseason and has his OC pretty much begging him to forget about bad throws. With all of this in mind, I'm not really sure how the Jets have gotten better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News