PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Saints have a new weapon? or a bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's b/c I am a U fan but I love this guys potential. Will he hit it? With Brees and Shockey in the fold I feel the answer will be yes. He strikes me as a guy you may not see initially on the fold getting a bevy of reps but as you mentioned with guys like Meachem, I believe the saints will coach em up and get him ready for mid of yr 2, yr 3. I also go to Hofstra and saw Colston and met him a bunch when I first got there so I am part time Saints fan w/ Colston :). Colston never struck me as a big project as Graham, it was more so his athletic ability was viewed as limited. I guess he manages to perform with his lackluster athleticism experts :)

pretty cool insight K-Ro. What Im getting from you is that graham is physically better than colston as a athlete, but colston was already very far along in NFL maturity when we got him off UFA. Graham has tools physically beyond colston, but lacks experience and or the ability to use them without proper coaching. Is that accurate?

pretty cool insight K-Ro. What Im getting from you is that graham is physically better than colston as a athlete, but colston was already very far along in NFL maturity when we got him off UFA. Graham has tools physically beyond colston, but lacks experience and or the ability to use them without proper coaching. Is that accurate?

Indeed that is accurate, if you can find it go check out combine video of Colston. This guy was outperforming all receivers and tight ends in the multiple receiving drill looking for if you can run, spot the ball and pluck it. Just irked the Jets didnt take him:mad:

Unfortunately with the saints if you don't make the grade they will cut you even if you are drafted, so this kid could walk after training camp.

Example is we drafted pittman as a RB and got P.Thomas as a UFA, payton cut pittman after training camp and went with P. Thomas.

While it might call into question his drafting/scouting ability you have to have to admire Payton's cold decision making based on performance. That being said, I love the idea of a UDFA making the roster and taking the place of a guy drafted high.

Anyway, talk to whomever you know at the Saints and tell them what I said about the rings (I think Brees already does something similar) and high-level Judo guys to teach blocking technique. That being said, it would be kinda neat if you cut him and we grabbed him, he really is an interesting prospect.

Hi Pherein, I'm not in a position to say much about Graham either.

I just want to say though that I liked the pickups late of Matt Tenant, a Boston Eagle and Sean Canfield.

I was afraid to even mention Canfield anywhere and just hoped that the Patriots would get him on the last round but Payton nabbed him a couple of picks before. I rate Canfield very highly, I think he is a pure passer and he will learn a lot sitting behind Drew Brees. He reminds me a lot of the young Tom Brady. Maybe he doesn't make it but the guy has an fantastic arm, imo the best in the draft.

he seems like he'll be mostly a Dallas Clark type player in the short term to me. Will be called on to catch passes moreso than take on LBs

Hi Pherein, I'm not in a position to say much about Graham either.

I just want to say though that I liked the pickups late of Matt Tenant, a Boston Eagle and Sean Canfield.

I was afraid to even mention Canfield anywhere and just hoped that the Patriots would get him on the last round but Payton nabbed him a couple of picks before. I rate Canfield very highly, I think he is a pure passer and he will learn a lot sitting behind Drew Brees. He reminds me a lot of the young Tom Brady. Maybe he doesn't make it but the guy has an fantastic arm, imo the best in the draft.

hey eagle eye, miss you man good to hear from you, hope all is well.

Took a little time to look up your Canfield info. wow hes really good thanks for the insight , as always, your a step ahead, thanks for posting helped me allot.

Last edited:
While it might call into question his drafting/scouting ability you have to have to admire Payton's cold decision making based on performance. That being said, I love the idea of a UDFA making the roster and taking the place of a guy drafted high.

Anyway, talk to whomever you know at the Saints and tell them what I said about the rings (I think Brees already does something similar) and high-level Judo guys to teach blocking technique. That being said, it would be kinda neat if you cut him and we grabbed him, he really is an interesting prospect.

hey snake:)

you guys look beast this year. I hope we dont cut him to help your already great roster, we need all the help we can get for the pre-season game, yikes.

he seems like he'll be mostly a Dallas Clark type player in the short term to me. Will be called on to catch passes moreso than take on LBs

Hey Tucker,
yea I think you pegged it also, hes not a good blocker at the moment thow. Hope that can change, but thanks, as always the good natured Pats fans help me think out of the box and relate great insight, thanks, I was just confused about this pick.

Last edited:
Jimmy Graham is a nice prospect from a pure athletic standpoint but he lacks polish and experience. Don't expect him to morph into Dallas Clark overnight. It might take 2-3 years before you see anything out of him, and as you said, he's going to be buried behind the depth chart with Shockey as your starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back