PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do the Patriots get a 'Mulligan" from you?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do the PAtriots deserve "mulligans" from their fans?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Most non serious golfer know what I'm talking about. A "mulligan" is a second shot when you screw up your first drive. Usually you get one "mulligan" per 9 holes. It's my favorite "rule.

So after what the Patriots have given to us fans over the past 7 years, are you going to give them a "mulligan" for yesterday game.That game is the golf equivelant of hitting it in the woods and have it bounce off a tree and in the pond.

I'm giving them a 'mulligan" for yesterday. Are you?

Last edited:
They don't have to get a "mulligan." It was a bad game, and they are allowed to lose. We have been so used to winning that this loss has trigged all sorts of topics which don't make sense.

Sure - with regards to rooting for them and being a fan. Now, with regards to confidence in them, not really. With SD, Denver, Indy as 3 of the next 5 I am not wholly confident we'll come out of Week 9 at .500.

No. Yesterday was an absolute disgrace. I don't care that they lost it was the WAY they lost. Now I'm not going to quit on the team or anything but I cannot just act like yesterday didn't happen and just forgive that pathetic showing.

For losing? Yes, they're allowed to lose. But for giving up while we still had a chance? Never.

Do over? I wish. Look forward to a more competitive showing against SF and SD? Yeh, that I do win, lose, or draw.

I'm such a sucker for polls :)
I gave them a mulligan even though I didn't like what I saw. It's way too early in the season to etch anything in stone and frankly with Brady out I didn't expect a smooth ride anyway.

JMO but right now I'm more interested in what they do about the situation. That will be the true tell for me. Losses are to be expected given the circumstances but in the future I hope they never look as befuddled as they did yesterday.

Who was that team? Invasion of the body snatchers :eek:

These things happen in the NFL (one team coming off an emotional victory they put a lot into facing another team coming off an embarrassing loss...upsets happen). We were just spoiled last season.

If anything, this should put how amazing last seasons 16-0 record was in perspective. We lost the SB, whatever, I'm proud of last season, and maybe it takes getting the crap beaten out of you by "one of the worst teams in the league" (I quote, b/c I disagree now) to prove how special a 16-0 regular season is.

The best way to maintain excellence is to set up a cultture that does NOT accept the idea of "mulligans"

The best way to maintain excellence is to set up a cultture that does NOT accept the idea of "mulligans"

The team isn't going to get a mulligan from BB. That's all that matters.

But the 53 don't answer to us. We, the fans, should be the good cop to BB's bad cop. Time to rally around them.

Besides, I don't see what people are getting all huff'd and puff'd about. We knew things weren't going to be easy when Brady went down. I've kind of accepted this "whatever happens, happens" approach to the rest of the season. We're the underdogs again, we're going to have to overcome a lot of adversity. it is what it is.

Last edited:
I love Mulligans

I sometimes take 2-3 per nine holes :eek:

But after that initial drive, and before I tee it up again. I usually toss out a few MF's and other pleasantries cussing my sh!t ass effort on the initial swing, and that's pretty normal. I move right along afterword. I'm not really sure why everyone is freaking out that we have a day or two of people posting dissatisfaction. Outside of the handful of people (who we all know are anyway) posting dumb "tank the season" thread, most people are just posting their dissatisfaction. It'll pass.

We just laid a turd to a division rival who we had NO business losing too. I reserve the right to bemoan a crappy effort by my team. It doesn't make me a bad fan. It makes me like every other fan of every other team. The "After all this team has done for you, how can you boo them. Your a shytty fan" posts are ludicrous.

I take the long view, in the last 35+ years, this team has broken my heart at least as many times as it's made it soar, so I guess I'll exempt myself from the "after all the good times" nonesense.

Bottom line. I loved the Pats since I knew what football was and I will love them til I draw my last breath. It doesn't not matter whether that they are great (as they have been in recent years), or they suck (like they did for many years I stuck by them).

Screw that, I'm reserving my right right to MF the crappy effort for a couple days. Have no fear, next week, I'll be right in there chuging the cool-aid and singing from the mountaintop. Living and dying by every play like I have since day 1. Thats what REAL FANS do.

Last edited:
They get one from me. I have too much respect for the majority of vets on our team, our coach and the whole organization, not to realize that they will have a more difficult season this year.

I've been watching the Patriots since Grogan was QB, with Brady out for the year and the way this was built around him my expectations have dropped and as long as do the best they can, I'm happy.

Yesterday wasn't their best, coaching or on the field and I don't expect to see that very much this year !

Last edited:
It's been 49 straight games since the Patriots were not in first place in the AFCE. Think about that- 49 games in the NFL. Amazing!

Nothing the Patriots do could make me like them less, or follow them more passionately, I don't care if they go 0-16. I was a fan before the current era of dominance, I've been a fan during, and if it ends, I still will be one.

I hate it as much as the rest when they lose, but I hated it back when they did it all the time too.

A loss is a loss. No big deal in the scheme of things. If they win 2 out of three games for rest of year they'll be in the playoffs. There's no crying in football.

No. Yesterday was an absolute disgrace. I don't care that they lost it was the WAY they lost. Now I'm not going to quit on the team or anything but I cannot just act like yesterday didn't happen and just forgive that pathetic showing.

good man....you are a clear minded, REALISTIC fan.....a rarity on here these days.....don't give me some sugar coated pile of sh## thanks.....tell it like it is....and this team didn't bother to show up last night.....and in it's purest form.....stunk........

I hope you never have children if you truly believe this.

No-shows like yesterday are unacceptable, but I'll give them a mulligan. Only one...okay, maybe two. They better show more heart the rest of the way, win or lose.

The 2000 Pats that went 5-11, but only lost one game by more than 8 points. That clearly undermanned team showed heart. I don't consider those losses mulligan-worthy.

Regards,
Chris

I totally give the players a mulligan on this one....but not sure if I can be so engratiating to the coaches. So for the coaches I will forgive but not forget, losses at home within the division are difficult enough without having to make excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes