PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ditka and Hoge pick the Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
He picked the Steelers and the Colts, but picked the Pats in the Dallas game. Actually, all 9 of them picked the Pats in the Dallas game.

Golic picked against us the most -- 3 times. Hodge and Allen picked against us 2 times. Schlereth and Wickersham picked against us once. Salisbury, Jaws and Accuscore picked us for all games, although Jaws doesn't pick MNF.

Poor Wickersham screwed himself by taking the Jets in Week 1. Trying to get to cute, I'd say.

Great so Dorka will be 0-3 this post-season.
He hasn't been right yet, why start now.

I get that we are fans, but there are an awful lot of excuses in there to deny what actually is a true fact: Of the 4 opponents the Patriots played twice this year, they didn't play as well in the second matchup three times.

I'm not saying this means will lose, or that there aren't answers for this. But it's not ridiculous that a commentator would point to the fact.

Who is making excuses? Hoge's point is that teams figured the Pats out the second time around, there is far more to it and it is not the only reason why the Pats won closer games the second time around. I am pointing out why his theory is flawed to argue that he can automatically assume that the Giants will continue the trend.

My point was and still is that there was more that went into those games than the opposing team figured out how to play the Pats tougher the second time around.

Last edited:
I guess that depends how you define playing well. The Patriots held the Jets, Miami, and San Diego to lower point totals in the second meeting, and as was mentioned actually improved their performance against Buffalo.

The lower scores of the games are pretty easily explained by weather (particularly the second Jets game), and the improved play of the Chargers. I still consider the 28-7 win over Miami impressive, considering we barely tried to score in the second half.

That's my point. Not making excuses. Saying it is oversimplifying the facts by saying that teams play the Pats tougher the second time around because they figured them out in the first meeting.

I am sure that opposing teams do learn a lot to do or not do the second time around, but so do the Pats and every other team that plays another team more than once. But I do not think that was the only reason the outcomes of the second game was closer in two of the four cases.

That's my point. Not making excuses. Saying it is oversimplifying the facts by saying that teams play the Pats tougher the second time around because they figured them out in the first meeting.

I am sure that opposing teams do learn a lot to do or not do the second time around, but so do the Pats and every other team that plays another team more than once. But I do not think that was the only reason the outcomes of the second game was closer in two of the four cases.

I'd agree with all that. But I actually do agree that it's better for the Giants that they played us already, and may actually be a bit more beneficial for them having seen us than it is for us having seen them.

The weather in all 4 of the second games was significantly colder. The weather for the SB will be warmer than the weather in week 17. One could make the argument the Pats will play better against the Giants in the SB because the weather will be warmer. It's as credible as Hoge's argument.

Last edited:
why does ditka have to go out of his way to make himself look like an idiot..

I'd agree with all that. But I actually do agree that it's better for the Giants that they played us already, and may actually be a bit more beneficial for them having seen us than it is for us having seen them.

The Giants will probably benefit from playing the Pats already, but will that offset the things that will be working against them the second time around including:

- Probably playing in pristine conditions in a dome rather than the swirling winds of the Meadowlands
- The return of Neal, Kazcur, and Kyle Brady
- The Pats not being preoccupied with getting Brady and Moss the TD records
- Belichick having two weeks to prepare for the Giants and has gained first hand knowledge himself of his opponent on Sunday
- A lot of young players on the Giants with next to no one with Super Bowl experience vs. a more seasoned Patriots with a lot of the team with Super Bowl bling.

Ditka I don't really care...but Hoge constantly has picked against the Pats and every time he's been dead wrong. You'd think he would just learn. But there is likely a bias.

Great so Dorka will be 0-3 this post-season.
He hasn't been right yet, why start now.

Does anyone know how many times he has picked against them in the regular season?

Last edited:
Ditka I don't really care...but Hoge constantly has picked against the Pats and every time he's been dead wrong. You'd think he would just learn. But there is likely a bias.

Again -- I may have missed it -- but Hodge picked against the Patriots twice this year, out of 18 games.

People seem to be repeating it pretty often, but why is there a sense the he's "constantly" picked against the Pats?

Costas should be banned from picking games. He always picks games on stupid reasons and rarely on who he really thinks will actually win the game. He also said that he was also picking the Giants because if they win, he will get a lot of credit for picking them when conventional wisedom is to pick against them. It was pretty clear, he thinks the Pats will win.

Costas = minion... put glasses on him, and he looks similar to Rick Moranus.

Mike Ditka, Sunday NFL Countdown analyst
Giants 31-28. I haven’t picked the Patriots all year, so why should I start now?

From ESPN.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference