PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon redid his deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miguel said:
$5,767,500.

Oooh - that's quite a lot. And just to be clear - that's if we cut him in 2007, not this season, correct?

To me, given all the unexpected cap room the Pats have this season with the new CBA, it seems like the team views it unlikely they will cut him next season either. Otherwise they might have kept $3 million in salary in this year's cap to spread it out.

This might be a good sign as far as they view his health and ability.

Last edited:
If they have the cash, Moulds for a year and Arrington for a few would be nice.

Attention Miguel

Miguel - if they do extend Seymour, wont his cap number for this year actually go down as they will spread this years salary as well as whatever the bonus money is for the new deal over what I would think would be a 5 year deal time frame??

Yes it will go down, I'm pretty sure.

There has gotta be SOMETHING in the works here people. No way we've cleared up all this room to just sit with our fingers in our ass. Something is in the works, and I think Seymour and Branch will be staying put. Or so I hope..

Miguel said:
I do not get it, either. The Pats just gave Dillon a $3 million option bonus.
There are 3 other possibilities, none of which I think are likely.

1.) Dillon agreed to a paycut. But why do so after getting the $3 million option bonus.
2.) Dillon agreed to a paycut with the hopes of making up the money with incentives. Ditto.
3.) Dillon agreed to become a 6/2 release. His $710,000 salary would remain on the Pats cap until 6/2. Ditto.
I don't think they will release him, but playing along :

For option #3 would this allow :

1) The Patriots to spread the cap hit across two seasons.
2) Dillon to get his money, become a FA and then get a new contract with a new team and more money ?

My perception is that (1) and (2) are correct but I could be wrong. If so it would allow the Patriots to see if they get the RB they want in the draft. If they don't, they just stick with Dillon. If they do they could move from him, spread the cap hit and allow Dillon to get more money.

Or all my facts could be wrong.

JoeSixPat said:
Oooh - that's quite a lot. And just to be clear - that's if we cut him in 2007, not this season, correct?

Yes.
To me, given all the unexpected cap room the Pats have this season with the new CBA, it seems like the team views it unlikely they will cut him next season either. Otherwise they might have kept $3 million in salary in this year's cap to spread it out.

This might be a good sign as far as they view his health and ability.
It has to be a good sign. They did the same thing with Colvin in the spring of 2004.

BelichickFan said:
I don't think they will release him, but playing along :

For option #3 would this allow :

1) The Patriots to spread the cap hit across two seasons.
2) Dillon to get his money, become a FA and then get a new contract with a new team and more money ?

My perception is that (1) and (2) are correct but I could be wrong. If so it would allow the Patriots to see if they get the RB they want in the draft. If they don't, they just stick with Dillon. If they do they could move from him, spread the cap hit and allow Dillon to get more money.

Or all my facts could be wrong.

I think that JoeSixPat has the best explanation.

I think there's going to be a young RB coming in...and it might not be in the draft.

Miguel I'm a little confused. How many years is Dillon signed too, and what are the cap numbers for those years? As you said, the first year is 700,000. Are there more years? Is it even possible for us to find out? Thanks :)

Good man Corey! Doesn't have a great year in terms of yardage, so he redoes deal. That's a team player! :D

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Miguel I'm a little confused. How many years is Dillon signed too, and what are the cap numbers for those years? As you said, the first year is 700,000. Are there more years? Is it even possible for us to find out? Thanks :)

2006 - 2,638,600
2007 - 4,429,220
2008 - 4,429,220
2009 - 4,429,220

In your opinion, do you think 07-09 are "real" years?

Boy, I hope Dillon has an iron constitution. That's one large amount of bucks for a RB over 31. And 4.5M at age 35. Gracious. Something doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even Bettis called it a career at his 34th birthday. Oh, well. Who knows. But it just DOESN'T make sense.

THEARCHIVES said:
Good man Corey! Doesn't have a great year in terms of yardage, so he redoes deal. That's a team player! :D

I'd turn my salary into guaranteed money as well. Even if I hated my job.

make it hurt them to fire me...

Sounds like a winning proposition to me

PATRIOTS-80 said:
In your opinion, do you think 07-09 are "real" years?
2007, yes.
2008 and 2009,no.

Please note that I never thought that Dillon would be on the Patriots roster after 6/1/2008.

cubedoggy said:
I think there's going to be a young RB coming in...and it might not be in the draft.

I think we all agree that a young RB of the future is a good idea - and has no negative reflection on Dillon

I think Dillon will stick around at least a couple of more years, if healthy. I don't think he's done, as some have suggested (not necessarily in this thread). I don't think you can go from running for 1,600 yards and running over people, as Corey did in '04, to being washed-up. He was hurt last year and never played at full strength. Just comparing to how tentative he looked last year makes me think he tried to gut it out and because our running game wasn't strong last year. Plus, having your two best linemen out and two rookies filling in didn't help matters.
He should be held back a bit this training camp, a la Branch, because of his age and injury concerns. He's got nothing to prove by being banged around too much in practice and exhibitions. What's he, 32 years old? He still looks in good shape and remember a couple of years ago when Curtis Martin had an off year due to unjuries and the majority thought he was all done. Then he came back and did his thing. I see something similar with Corey this year.
Regarding the extra cap space, the Pats must sign their young. They have to, even if it means paying Seymour more than they want.

bigsid05 said:
If they have the cash, Moulds for a year and Arrington for a few would be nice.
Ditto that. That would also greatly change my view of the draft. I'd then like them to use the first pick for a young WR (Chad Jackson) or one of the RBs (DeAngelo Williams or Lendell White most likely), to solidify those positions for the future.

That would be sweet. Bring in Arrington to play opposite Rosey - quite the nice QB sacking tandem. Moulds could be one of the top two WRs while Jackson develops (or bring in one of the RBs to develop for a year or so behind the Dillon/Faulk tandem). Sweeeet.

big mike said:
Ditto that. That would also greatly change my view of the draft. I'd then like them to use the first pick for a young WR (Chad Jackson) or one of the RBs (DeAngelo Williams or Lendell White most likely), to solidify those positions for the future.

That would be sweet. Bring in Arrington to play opposite Rosey - quite the nice QB sacking tandem. Moulds could be one of the top two WRs while Jackson develops (or bring in one of the RBs to develop for a year or so behind the Dillon/Faulk tandem). Sweeeet.

An Observation: Arrington has neve rbeen a high sack figure LB. His talents lie elsewhere anticipation, instincts, pursuit, and coverage.. That's why he would probably be an awesome ILB in BB's version of the 3-4. But for that he needs d-i-s-c-i-p-l-i-n-e. Vrabes would move back outside probably...

PATSNUTme said:
They wouldn't be creating all this cap space if they didn't have a plan. Keep the faith, we will see soon enough.

And no, Bob Kraft is not doing this so he can put it in his pocket. They will spend up to the cap as they always do.

This doesnt save Kraft any money. It just puts the payroll cost in a different category, so that it saves CAP money.
Spending real money and Cap money are 2 very different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back