PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon looked good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krugman

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Didnt see this on the the other threads,folks,maybe kind of obvious,but the Dillon of old showed up for a while last night ,tough yards up the gut,I love Maroney,he looks like a great back,but remember the old guard for a minute,this guy,when healthy,is a major load for any defence,they will have to account for him,plus he is a huge blocker in the passing game re blitz pick -up.....Go Dillon!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dillon was running like a truck. But Maroney definitely looked like a Turbo Vette out there. :) Should be a good 1-2 punch.

Dillon did look good. But Maroney looked better. It's going to be a tough ego massaging job for Belichick but at some point this season I think the 18-12 split that will be led by Dillon to start the year will be led by Maroney to end the year.

BelichickFan said:
Dillon did look good. But Maroney looked better. It's going to be a tough ego massaging job for Belichick but at some point this season I think the 18-12 split that will be led by Dillon to start the year will be led by Maroney to end the year.

I'm not ready to say that.

Maroney looked faster. But Dillon looked faster then last season, and looked like a load to bring down. He moved the pile.

Just don't forget, the 2004 Corey Dillon was the best runningback in the 40 plus year history of this team.

Plus he is a great blocker in blitz pickup.

IMO Dillon will be the starter this entire season. But Maroney will get a lot of carries.

Next season will most likely be the year the roles swap.

Dillon looked awesome. Maroney will spell Dillon to keep his "old" bones fresh.

Dillion ran down the middle moving the pile with him ....they have different style and dillion`s style is a very NFL productive style as against quality defences the outsides are covered very well preventing a fast running game.

next year is well is next year even if cobbs and maroney are the future backs wait to see a power house big guy picked up to move the pile.

I seem to be the only one who saw this although one of the papers touched on it Saturday (of course it was promptly denied by the team and Dillon), but was it just me or did Dillon look like he was favoring his right arm or shoulder after his last run in the first quarter? He was on the sidelines in the 2nd half joking around so I wouldn't think it was anything serious and maybe I was just reading something into nothing. Just seemed like he was holding his arm at a weird position and gesturing to somebody on the sidelines as he walked off. I hope I'm wrong because it looked like the old Corey was back.

usmcmgb said:
I seem to be the only one who saw this although one of the papers touched on it Saturday (of course it was promptly denied by the team and Dillon), but was it just me or did Dillon look like he was favoring his right arm or shoulder after his last run in the first quarter? He was on the sidelines in the 2nd half joking around so I wouldn't think it was anything serious and maybe I was just reading something into nothing. Just seemed like he was holding his arm at a weird position and gesturing to somebody on the sidelines as he walked off. I hope I'm wrong because it looked like the old Corey was back.
He was defineately slow to get up.

I thought Dillon looked trimmer, too.

He came off the field after his last play moving his arm gingerly. I did not like that.

BelichickFan said:

I think that it's hard to say that any one player 'looked better' than another, especially in the preseason, and especially when it's two different styles of players.

Dillon looked great for what Dillon's style is. Maroney looked great for his style of play.

I think that Dillon's style is actually going to heavily improve Maroney's production. Imagine stopping the Mack Truck that is Dillon 20-25 times a game, only then to have to stop a shifty, strong, speed demon of a RB 10-15 times, all the the while worrying about future HOF QB Tom Brady and our plethora of recieving TEs/HBs, and few WRs.

It'll be a fun offense to watch, but much like the passing game, I don't think that either back will be a FEATURE back, I think that they'll complement the hell out of each other and our overall running game will be superb this season. I can only imagine how excited Faulk is now, to not only be a change-up from Dillon, but also from Maroney.

He'll be that third down reciever/backup RB, only now teams will have to worry about two other running styles in addition to his. I think if all three RBs stay healthy that they'll all three have great seasons.

It's easy to forget about Faulk, but he's a shifty, slashing back that's been very good when used on a limited basis. I think that in combo with the other two RBs he's going to be a lethal guy the few times he gets his hands on the ball. And hopefully the more limited number of touches means he'll be able to hang onto the ball more often. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
usmcmgb said:

I noticed it as well. He def seemed to be rotating the arm as though the shoulder was hurt, grabbing at it with the off hand. And he surely was slow to get up. But according to another poster Dillon has already stated that there was no injury, though I haven't seen that actually reported anywhere.

What does it say about how the team feels about Maroney, when on 3rd and 18 they hand it to him on a draw.

We used to do this with Curtis Martin to great effect. Looks like BB dusted off the ole playbook.

R

A stinger

Dillon got a shoulder stinger on the play where he came out rotating the arm. It didn't look very serious, but I'm sure he'll get treatment this week for it.

Say what you will about the running styles of Dillon and Maroney, but one fact stood out in my book, the first string OL really handled the Atlanta defense. The Atlanta defense did a lot of knifing and our OL, did an excellent job of riding them and leaving some nice holes for the RBs.
Best game I've seen out of Neal in over a year. And Mankins is becoming a monster. I think the presence of Light, really helped from a mental standpoint.

I wish we had seen more of Cobb running the ball. I think he has some potential. I saw him pick up a couple blocks and although he's tiny, he did better than I expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: A stinger

Ochmed Jones said:
Dillon got a shoulder stinger on the play where he came out rotating the arm. It didn't look very serious, but I'm sure he'll get treatment this week for it.

Say what you will about the running styles of Dillon and Maroney, but one fact stood out in my book, the first string OL really handled the Atlanta defense. The Atlanta defense did a lot of knifing and our OL, did an excellent job of riding them and leaving some nice holes for the RBs.
Best game I've seen out of Neal in over a year. And Mankins is becoming a monster. I think the presence of Light, really helped from a mental standpoint.

I wish we had seen more of Cobb running the ball. I think he has some potential. I saw him pick up a couple blocks and although he's tiny, he did better than I expected.
Bump - read this post carefully folks. Go Pats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft