PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did we target TEBOW in the first? CB doesnt look so bad now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that All access piece pretty much clears up my conspiracy theory. Not a bad theory mind you, as the truth is harder to come by on draft day than good ball player. Sorry, my bad.

Wow, reviving an old thread to showcase your own wrongness? That's rarer than an impact play by Adalius Thomas! Props to you, Jeff.

Well that All access piece pretty much clears up my conspiracy theory. Not a bad theory mind you, as the truth is harder to come by on draft day than good ball player. Sorry, my bad.

Got a link to that piece? What did they say that finally convinced you that Tim Tebow wasn't the Pats target? I watched the Pats war room footage, and it seemed fairly clear to me that Devin McCourty was 'their guy' in the 1st.

BB's courtship of Tebow worked. After all, Denver led by McDaniels bet their future on TT.

With all due respect, your theory was nuts. If Brady were 37 and we needed a new QB by 2012 then it would make sense. As we sit here today there wasn't a chance in the world we would have drafted Tebow in the first round.

With all due respect, your theory was nuts. If Brady were 37 and we needed a new QB by 2012 then it would make sense. As we sit here today there wasn't a chance in the world we would have drafted Tebow in the first round.
I hear formaldehyde sometimes leads to cognitive issues if you spend too much time sniffing it when preserving samples...

Isn't it amazing how much of a difference those All Access snippets make? We now know:

- They had no plans to take Tebow in the 1st.
- The had no plans to take Gresham in the 1st. (You can clearly hear Caserio phoning the league with the trade before pick 21 is in.)
- Bryant wasn't a consideration.
- They would have taken McCourty -- "our guy" -- at 24 if they hadn't traded down again.

So the only speculation we're left to wonder about concerns guys taken at #20 and above, particularly Pouncey, Mathews and Jackson.

We now know:

- They had no plans to take Tebow in the 1st.
- The had no plans to take Gresham in the 1st. (You can clearly hear Caserio phoning the league with the trade before pick 21 is in.)
- Bryant wasn't a consideration.
- They would have taken McCourty -- "our guy" -- at 24 if they hadn't traded down again.

Yes we now know. However, many here strongly believed that TT, Gresham, and Bryant weren't going to be considerations at all. We also believed there would be a few options at #22 (or in a tradedown scenario), of which McCourty was one.

So the only speculation we're left to wonder about concerns guys taken at #20 and above, particularly Pouncey, Mathews and Jackson.
Continuing on with this inquisitiveness, I'd guess that Pouncey and two CBs (McCourty, Jackson) were the primary targets at #22, and toss in Alualu as a tradedown option, primarily because of his early round two ranking. I don't believe RB Matthews was an option.

Yes we now know. However, many here strongly believed that TT, Gresham, and Bryant weren't going to be considerations at all.

Oh, I quite agree. The nice part is that we no longer have to argue with anybody about it. :)

Continuing on with this inquisitiveness, I'd guess that Pouncey and two CBs (McCourty, Jackson) were the primary targets at #22, and toss in Alualu as a tradedown option, primarily because of his early round two ranking. I don't believe RB Matthews was an option.

Pre-draft I had largely written off Pouncey because I fully expected him to be gone by #22. I was coming around on a DB in the 1st, but I must admit I was picturing either Jackson or Wilson. We now know they preferred McCourty to Wilson, but we'll never know about Jackson.

Alualu is interesting, but pretty heavy conjecture since they didn't target DE until round 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye