PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did the Pats know they'd play more 4-3 in April (for the draft)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill is totally rebuilding his Defense. His preferred Defense is multiple leaning toward the 3-4; but situational flexibility and multiple is key. Just happens right now he has more good linemen than he has healthy LBs. So he is minimizing the LBs play.

I really think his base is becoming there 4-2-5. Followed by the 4-1-6, this first half of the season. Add one more draft to finish the Defensive rebuilding and Bill will be free to go back to 3-4, 4-3 and the Big Safety formations as the need is appropriate.

I strongly agree with both of the statements I've highlighted above.

It's kind of fun to see all the teams in the league jump on the 3-4 bandwagon, and BB rebuilding our defense. He is a master at adapting to personnel strengths. With all the demand for classic 3-4 players, it's going to be harder and harder to find players who fit into the classic 3-4 mold.

Last offseason focused on rebuilding the secondary. I think we are pretty much set there, especially if we can somehow re-sign Leigh Bodden. Assuming Chung and Butler develop, we will be in very good shape there.

We have a lot of talent in the front 7 with Wilfork, Warren, Thomas and Mayo, but still need a couple more pieces to complete the rebuilding. More experience should help Guyton, Pryor and Brace, and I am assuming a healthy McKenzie will be of value. But we can clearly use more pass rushers, another 3-4 DE, a 3-4 SILB, and perhaps another multi-purpose LB.

I am excited about the upcoming draft given 4 first day picks. I think that BB will target the kind of guys you talk about who can provide situational flexibility and multiple fronts. Guys like Derrick Morgan, Sean Weatherspoon, Brandon Spikes, Rolando McClain, Corey Wootten and Eric Norwood. There's a lot of defensive talent likely to be available, and we should be able to get some good ones.

I think most people here are over simplifying when they say 4-3 or 3-4. Note that among our DEs are guys like Burgess and Tully. Tully was an OLB in the 3-4 for us, but plays as a DE in the 4-3. Burgess was expected to transition to OLB in the 3-4. Look at a guy like Colvin or McGinest in the past as well. They both could have been DEs on pure 4-3 teams (though Colvin would have been a lighter, Freeney-esque, DE).

The only reason we are thinking we are seeing anything different now is that we have less versatile players than McGinest, Vrabel, Colvin, etc, playing those spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News