PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DFK's 8/4 Training Camp Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Was able to make it today too. Yesterday's report can be found here.

SUMMARY:
-There was only 1 practice today, in the afternoon. It was similar to yesterday's schedule but longer, and with more skill-specific drills in the beginning.
-Skill specific drills included running around cones then catches for receivers, hand-offs for RB's, deep throws into trash cans for QB's, interception returns for defense, and blocking drills.
-After skill specific drills there were group drills, then punt return drills, then offense vs defense drills, including 2-minute and red zone emphasis with 1st team offense against 1st team defense.

-To start the practice, for some reason I paid attention to who ran their beginning practice 2x sideline-to-sideline sprints the hardest, since when I used to play competitively I always hustled during these things. The ones not half-assing it and finished first were Chung, Edelman, and Alexander.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
-Zoltan continues to bomb the ball deep with precision. However, I discovered the practice field is a bit misleading since it isn't a full 100 yards. If you carefully look at the yard markers it misses 10 yards somewhere. Even with the misleading markers, Zoltan's punts are very impressive and deep. The punt returners were Edelman, Tate, and Faulk. Edelman had a pretty bad drop of a punt but on other returns had one great run to daylight.

DEFENSE:
-1st team defense through all the drills were McCourty and Butler at corner, Chung and Meriweather at safety. Inside linebackers were Mayo and Spikes. Banta Cain and Cunningham at OLB. Upfront were Gerrard Warren, Wilfork, and #92 Lewis which would normally be Ty Warren's spot (who didn't practice). Bodden dressed but didn't really practice today.

-Spikes looks much taller and bulkier than Mayo despite official listings of similar size. Spikes is very vocal/fiery on the defense already, and I think it also made Mayo more vocal too and want to chime up.

-Cunningham got tons of snaps at OLB again same as yesterday, but didn't really do anything. I know others are saying he's impressed at rookie camp, but I'm not seeing much through 2 days now.

-I focused a bit on Pat Chung since he didn't practice in yesterday's PM session. He picked off Brady in the 2 minute drill. Chung was also pretty assertive on the field, the safeties and corners were constantly looking to Chung for communication, and on sidelines Chung is a pretty chatty guy with everyone. He also seems pretty goofy, he randomly broke out into dance while waiting for a drill to start.

OFFENSE:
-1st team offense all afternoon was Brady with Moss, Welker, Hernandez, Tate, and Morris. O-line was Light, #63 Dan Connolly in Mankin's spot, Koppen, Neal, and Vollmer dressed today.

-There were some receiver drills practicing routes thrown by QB's. Receivers at the X (in some sort of early practice depth chart) were Moss then Holt. At the Z were Tate then Price. Slot/Y were Welker then Edelman.

-One interesting note is at one point the team practiced handoffs out of shotgun, and all running backs plus Edelman worked on this.

-Tory Holt played much better today compared to yesterday. He had many good catches using hands with arms out, no drops. Strong crisp route running. Makes me think his performance yesterday was due to a sore leg or something.

-Randy Moss burned McCourty pretty much all afternoon, in multiple drills. One notable play was a deep bomb in which Moss badly beat double coverage from McCourty *and* Butler, caught a slightly underthrown Brady throw, and still scored.

-Price had a few bad drops today. Tate ran a wrong route in a 2-minute drill where Brady threw into open space Tate should have been in. Both still look light years better than anything Aiken does in practice at receiver though.

-In the 2-TE set plays, Crumpler was on the sidelines. That right side of the offense is enormous when Vollmer and Gronkowski are next to each other. Gronkowski is big, but Vollmer is even bigger. Hernandez continues to impress, Brady definitely looks for him a lot, and he is used in motion a lot. Crumpler still shows great hands, and has the same effect as yesterday where people are amazed that this gigantic 275-pound bowling ball has very good catching ability and agility.

-In the 2-minute drill, the offense sputtered after a poor Brady throw, then a wrong route by Tate, followed by an interception by Pat Chung. Then, Belichick put the ball on the defensive 30, said there were no timeouts in a must score situation, and the very next play Brady hit Moss for a TD over McCourty.

Didn't See:
Was looking for but didn't see Guyton, Slater, Brace, or Wright dressed for practice.

DropKickFlutie

Last edited:
Was able to make it today too. Yesterday's report can be found here.

SUMMARY:
-There was only 1 practice today, in the afternoon. It was similar to yesterday's schedule but longer, and with more skill-specific drills in the beginning.
-Skill specific drills included running around cones then catches for receivers, hand-offs for RB's, deep throws into trash cans for QB's, interception returns for defense, and blocking drills.
-After skill specific drills there were group drills, then punt return drills, then offense vs defense drills, including 2-minute and red zone emphasis with 1st team offense against 1st team defense.

-To start the practice, for some reason I paid attention to who ran their beginning practice 2x sideline-to-sideline sprints the hardest, since when I used to played competitively I always hustled during these things. The ones not half-assing it and finished first were Chung, Edelman, and Alexander.

SPECIAL TEAMS:
-Zoltan continues to bomb the ball deep with precision. However, I discovered the practice field is a bit misleading since it isn't a full 100 yards. If you carefully look at the yard markers it misses 10 yards somewhere. Even with the misleading markers, Zoltan's punts are very impressive and deep. The Punt returners were Edelman, Tate, and Faulk. Edelman had a pretty bad drop of a punt but on other returns had one great run to daylight.

DEFENSE:
-1st team defense through all the drills were McCourty and Butler at corner, Chung and Meriweather at safety. Inside linebackers were Mayo and Spikes. Banta Cain and Cunningham at OLB. Upfront were Gerrard Warren, Wilfork, and #92 Lewis which would normally be Ty Warren's spot (who didn't practice). Bodden dressed but didn't really practice today.

-Spikes looks much taller and bulkier than Mayo despite official listings of similar size. Spikes is very vocal/fiery on the defense already, and I think it also made Mayo more vocal too and want to chime up.

-Cunningham got tons of snaps at OLB again same as yesterday, but didn't really do anything. I know others are saying he's impressed at rookie camp, but I'm not seeing much through 2 days now.

-Pat Chung picked off Brady in the 2 minute drill. Chung was also pretty assertive on the defense, the safeties and corners were constantly looking to Chung for communication, and Chung is a pretty chatty guy on the sidelines with everyone. He also seems pretty goofy, he randomly broke out into dance while waiting for a drill to start.

OFFENSE:
-1st team offense all afternoon was Brady with Moss, Welker, Hernandez, Tate, and Morris. O-line was Light, #63 Dan Connolly in Mankin's spot, Koppen, Neal, and Vollmer dressed today.

-There were some receiver drills practicing routes thrown by QB's. Receivers at the X (in some sort of early practice depth chart) were Moss then Holt. At the Z were Tate then Price. Slot/Y were Welker then Edelman.

-One interesting note is at one point the team practiced handoffs out of shotgun, and all running backs plus Edelman worked on this.

-Tory Holt played much better today compared to yesterday. He many good catches using hands with arms out, no drops. Strong crisp route running. Makes me think his performance yesterday was due to a sore leg or something.

-Randy Moss burned McCourty pretty much all afternoon, in multiple drills. One notable play was a deep bomb in which Moss badly beat double coverage from McCourty *and* Butler, caught a slightly underthrown Brady throw, and still scored.

-Price had a few bad drops today. Tate ran a wrong route in a 2-minute drill where Brady threw into open space Tate should have been in. Both still look light years better than anything Aiken does in practice at receiver though.

-In the 2-TE set plays, crumpler was on the sidelines. That right side of the offense is enormous when Vollmer and Gronkowski are next to each other. Gronkowski is big, but Vollmer is even bigger. Hernandez continues to impress, Brady definitely looks for him a lot, and he is used in motion a lot. Crumpler still shows great hands, and has the same effect as yesterday where people are amazed that this gigantic 275-pound bowling ball has very good catching ability and agility.

-In the 2-minute drill, the offense sputtered after a poor Brady throw, then a wrong route by Tate, followed by an interception by Pat Chung. Then, Belichick put the ball on the defensive 30, said there were no timeouts in a must score situation, and the very next play Brady hit Moss for a TD over McCourty.

Didn't See:
Was looking for but didn't see Guyton, Slater, Brace, or Wright dressed for practice.

Awesome reporting. Thanks.

Great write-up DKF, thank you for that. Is Moss looking that great now that he is healthy or is McCourty struggling?

mucho appreciated,DKF

nice post. thanks for taking the time.

I hope that McCourty is not mentally scarred from having to cover Moss day after day. It must be trying...

I hope that McCourty is not mentally scarred from having to cover Moss day after day. It must be trying...

McCourty never really looked down about it, he seems like a good prospect who is learning (the hard way) from experiences defending one of the best in the game. Butler had him too, maybe saw a marginally better time covering him. Moss had a great practice though, he looks like he's already locked in with Brady for a great season.

Last edited:
Thanks DKF. Good stuff as usual. It was great to hear that Brady and Moss connected on that 30 yd TD at the end.

Great post DFK.

Side story for at one of the firt camps I went to 6 or 7 years ago I was watching Walter punt and thought he was on steriods because he was kicking like 60 it didn't take me long to realize the field was smaller but something was still off. He didnt have a line in front of him and I was baseing it off where he was kicking from and not where the LOS would be.

The good thing about that is when he gets into real games it's hard to come close to a brady/moss duo so everything will seem a whole lot easier for him. Kind of like using donuts on a bat when you are on deck, once you knock them off and walk up to the plate that bat feels so much lighter.

The good thing about that is when he gets into real games it's hard to come close to a brady/moss duo so everything will seem a whole lot easier for him. Kind of like using donuts on a bat when you are on deck, once you knock them off and walk up to the plate that bat feels so much lighter.

The flip side is that Moss won't have a rookie corner to pick on every week.

Excellent report, thank you very much DKF.

Great post DFK.

Side story for at one of the firt camps I went to 6 or 7 years ago I was watching Walter punt and thought he was on steriods because he was kicking like 60 it didn't take me long to realize the field was smaller but something was still off. He didnt have a line in front of him and I was baseing it off where he was kicking from and not where the LOS would be.

Really good point. They did simulate full punt returns including the snap from line of scrimmage, but it was hard to tell since the yardage markers were off too.

Last edited:
Great notes. I'm really excited about our DBs, ILBs, TEs and WRs.

By the way, have I mentioned how perfect and awesome your screen name is? Drop Kick Flutie.... absolutely genius.

Great notes. I'm really excited about our DBs, ILBs, TEs and WRs.

By the way, have I mentioned how perfect and awesome your screen name is? Drop Kick Flutie.... absolutely genius.

Why thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference