PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Despite Critics Stevan Ridley Not Exactly 'Fumble Prone'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the conception of this rumor can be traced to some pre draft scouting reports, which reportedly said he had some fumbling issues in college. I have no idea if they are true or not. Our draftnik contingent would be better equipped to confirm or deny it.

Actually, I think you're mistaken on this. Ridley was never considered fumble-prone in college, and I just did a quick review of a bunch of his pre-draft profiles -- the only times ball security was mentioned, it was as a strength.

I don't recall anyone calling him fumble prone.

Wow, that surprises me, it's been a pretty constant drumbeat. E.g. here's just a tiny sampling of the quotes I found poking on this board :

"we can hope he fixes the fumble problems that he has had both last season and at LSU"
"Ridleys fumblitis is concerning"
"He definitely needs to get his ball security straightened out, and quick."
"Ridley needs to fix his fumblitis"

And here's a particular winner from the offseason:

"since ridley has fumblitis, and Vereen had the Ras IR bug, chances of these two seeing any meaningful playtime next year are low."

Actually, I think you're mistaken on this. Ridley was never considered fumble-prone in college, and I just did a quick review of a bunch of his pre-draft profiles -- the only times ball security was mentioned, it was as a strength.

Wow, that surprises me, it's been a pretty constant drumbeat. E.g. here's just a tiny sampling of the quotes I found poking on this board :

"we can hope he fixes the fumble problems that he has had both last season and at LSU"

"since ridley has fumblitis, and Vereen had the Ras IR bug, chances of these two seeing any meaningful playtime next year are low."

Considering the number of posts and posters here and the fact that 3 of those 5 comments seem to be saying the same thing Ridley himself has acknowledged... I wouldn't call that a constant drumbeat. Again, fans didn't bench him for the post season. Bill did. So 2 in 90 some touches in close proximity to each other was something that concerned him and needed to be fixed or straightened out. And I assume that between OTA's and mini camp and the start of TC they believe he has done that subject to evidence to the contrary.

Not mistaken, just misinformed. ;) The LSU ball security issue was mentioned often when Ridley gave up the ball twice at the end of the season. Andy Hart was banging that drum pretty hard IIRC. That blowhard misanthrope, who makes me embarrassed to also be a Tufts grad, does a lot of draft work, so it was easy to think its true

Yeah, it doesn't take much for rumor to become reality these days. Its like that All State commercial when the girl says, "I saw it on the internet so it must be true" :D

Thanks for doing some research.

Considering the number of posts and posters here and the fact that 3 of those 5 comments seem to be saying the same thing Ridley himself has acknowledged... I wouldn't call that a constant drumbeat. Again, fans didn't bench him for the post season. Bill did. So 2 in 90 some touches in close proximity to each other was something that concerned him and needed to be fixed or straightened out.

OK, so in summary nobody has called him "fumble prone," everybody just says they're concerned that he needs to work on his ball security. ;)

Anyway...I think the good news is that Ridley's general technique seems sound as far as controlling the ball goes. As a rookie (and an unusually raw one at that), the occasions when he got himself into trouble seemed to be from trying to do too much. That's a classic rookie mistake, especially for a guy who only gets a limited number of touches and feels pressure to make an impression.

Fans and mediots didn't bench him.

BJGE was the man at RB on the team last year. Even though alot of people thought Ridley was passing him on the depth chart as the season progressed, I had a feeling that come playoff time BJGE would get most if not all the important carries, and that's what happened. The fumble in the Denver game just sealed it for Ridley, but it's not like Ridley was going to be a major factor anyways in the playoffs before the fumble. I don't think it was that big a deal, and I'm not concerned about Ridley handling the ball on a full time basis going forth.

I admit that I wanted him to be better at protecting the ball this year. I also admit that I was happy with BJGE as a back because he was consistent and never fumbled as a Pat. I know BJGE wasn't great, but you could count on him.
Remember Faulk had security issues, and he was able to address and change that, so I feel it's reasonable that Ridley CAN do it. I just hope that he DOES do it. In PS#1 he (Ridley) looked better and it appeared that he was carrying the ball differently - and better.

For me, it wasn't that he fumbled the ball twice, it was because it was two games in a row headed into the playoffs. It's not his fault, but all of a sudden (after the second fumble) I'm flashing back to Maroney fumbling at the goal line against the Colts... all over again. You can't blame the loss squarely on his shoulders (The infamous 4th and 2 game in 2009), but that's a whole other conversation/thread (or 10).

I hope anyone that says he needs to work on his ball security (including myself) or has used the F-itis word can have a good laugh at themselves in Feb 2013 after he has a 1,200+ yard 1 or 2 fumble, 19 game season, and none of the fumbles he does have (if he has them) knock us out of the playoffs. I'm all for it!

Last edited:
I ran the numbers
It's a good alternate perspective Ian.

I think the benching had a lot to do with generating the rumors, which means maybe it's not all rumor. Like that was a severe response to the red zone fumble. Doesn't it make you wonder what was going through Bill's mind? That punished the team unless you consider that more fumbles were coming soon after.

How do you explain the severity of the response from the coach? It wasn't we fans that caused the big uproar. Some of us are just following the cues from the coach. Coach was pissed. Mighty pissed. Or so it seemed.

BB didn't help the matter by benching him the rest of the playoffs. Maybe he had ball control issue in practice that we didn't know about.
Noteworthy concept is that last sentence. To me this could not be about a pissed off coach who was willing to jeopardize the team to send a message. He had to have been trying to protect the team. And from what?

So your last sentence may be speculation but it does render the conspiracy into good football sense. When somebody (Bill) has an outburst like that it's for a reason. What are the possible reasons? One fumble? Doubtful.

Not so much worry about the ball your carrying
Jim Brown was off the charts carrying the ball like a loaf of bread, almost challenging DBs to try and take it away. How the hell did he do that?

Well, he was Jim Brown.

Ridley watch this guy's ball protection

This Jim Brown Highlights - HQ (Reznick Productions) - YouTube is a high quality highlight reel of Jim Brown. Ridley, don't try protecting the ball like this at home.

In fact I want to ask, "What ball protection"? This is the proverbial loaf of bread being waved around under the DB's noses. The guy did fumble a lot by today's standard but sheeeeit, the rest of that stat sheet is ridiculous.

Re: Ridley watch this guy's ball protection

This Jim Brown Highlights - HQ (Reznick Productions) - YouTube is a high quality highlight reel of Jim Brown. Ridley, don't try protecting the ball like this at home.

In fact I want to ask, "What ball protection"? This is the proverbial loaf of bread being waved around under the DB's noses. The guy did fumble a lot by today's standard but sheeeeit, the rest of that stat sheet is ridiculous.
I think with backs like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders and maybe a handful of other great backs, defenders are more worried about just tackling them instead of getting posterized by their greatness.

I think with backs like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders and maybe a handful of other great backs, defenders are more worried about just tackling them instead of getting posterized by their greatness.
Yeh, the defenders were in All Emergency mode. One made you fearful of looking like a fool, and the other made you fear getting sent to the hospital.

Probably with Earl Campbell too.

That was a great clip. Thanks for sharing it.

I remember seeing Giants games on the boob tube when I was a kid, but as soon a I saw Jim Brown play I became a Browns fan. When the Pats started in 1960 I left them and went all in for the Boston Patriots and also the AFL.

Since this is Brown film clip day, if you have a little time try this one of his little cousin Troy... Troy Brown Tribute - NFL Wide Receiver - YouTube

Thanks for the work that went into that. Looks like he cleaned up his own mess five of the ten times. Ancient history, obviously, but useful nonetheless. Thanks again.

Missouri vs Ole Miss
2nd and Goal at MIZZ 12 Ben Green-Ellis rush to the Misso8, fumble by Ben Green-Ellis recovered by Missouri Marcus Woods at Misso6, clock 06:18.

LSU vs Ole Miss
1st and Goal at LSU 2 BenJarvus Green-Ellis rush for 1 yard, fumbled at the LSU 1, forced by Jacob Cutrera, recovered by Luke Sanders at the LSU 1.

Ole Miss vs Wake Forest
2nd-3, WF3 1:55 B. Green-Ellis rushed to the right for 2 yard loss. B. Green-Ellis fumbled. B. Green-Ellis recovered fumble

Indiana vs Central Michigan
2nd and 7 at IND 28 Hoosiers fumble by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), recovered by Anthony Tyus (CMU), returned for no gain.

Ohio State vs Indiana
2nd and 19 at OSU 47 Hoosiers fumble by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), recovered by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), advanced for no gain.

Northwestern vs Indiana
2nd and 12 at IND 36 Hoosiers fumble by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), recovered by Dominique Price (NU), returned for no gain.

Indiana vs Michigan
4th and 10 at MICH 39 Hoosiers fumble by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), recovered by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), advanced for no gain.

Indiana vs Washington
0th and Goal at IND 21 Hoosiers fumble by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), recovered by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), advanced for no gain.

Michigan St vs Indiana
1st and 10 at MSU 46 Hoosiers fumble by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), recovered by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), advanced for no gain.

Penn St vs Indiana
3rd and 11 at PSU 45 Hoosiers fumble by BenJarvus Green-Ellis (IU), recovered by Jay Alford (PSU), 12 yard return.

Yes sir. Thank you for the legwork on this one.

I'm guessing that the debate in the past may have been 'how many' he lost, as that may have been the handful of times that I had remembered. Nonetheless, it's nice to see him clean up his problem and carry it over to a productive NFL career who is gaining a good reputation in that regard.

Thanks again.

personally always believed every good RB is fumble prone. The idea is to make yardage and beat the defense, keep balance. Never go down. Not so much worry about the ball your carrying,lol.
You start worring about the ball and you start loosing your abilities as a RB that got you the job in the 1st place.

But what about BJGE? Oh wait...you said 'good'. carry on...

:p

I heard announcers last season say that BJGE hasn't fumbled since high school but Mix proved that wrong...am I the only one who remembers (repeatedly) hearing the 'hasn't fumbled since high school' announcer comments?

????

Last edited:
BJGE was the man at RB on the team last year. Even though alot of people thought Ridley was passing him on the depth chart as the season progressed, I had a feeling that come playoff time BJGE would get most if not all the important carries, and that's what happened. The fumble in the Denver game just sealed it for Ridley, but it's not like Ridley was going to be a major factor anyways in the playoffs before the fumble. I don't think it was that big a deal, and I'm not concerned about Ridley handling the ball on a full time basis going forth.

I may get killed here but I thought at the time of the Superbowl that Ridley would have been a good match-up to the Giants aggressive pass rush that we knew they would bring. I was disappointed that he was not worked into the game plan at all with some screens and draws. Felt he was stronger than Woodhead and more explosive in the open field. Woodhead did a decent job but he really is not a pounding running back.

I heard announcers last season say that BJGE hasn't fumbled since high school but Mix proved that wrong...am I the only one who remembers (repeatedly) hearing the 'hasn't fumbled since high school' announcer comments?

????

Nope, I heard the same thing (maybe it was in the playoffs?) and like a fool spread the word when talking about it. Really need to work on my wikipedia skills!

You'd be surprised. I'm actually dumbfounded at the number of casual fans who actually believe it's an issue with him. That was a topic that's come up a lot in recent weeks both here and on talk radio, Twitter, etc. and the percentage of people who believe he has trouble holding onto the football was disturbing. I ran the numbers just to see how many carries he had prior to the first and came across some other things that surprised me about what an impressive rookie season he really had. Needless to say I felt the need to put this out there.

Ian

Are you suprised? If so, why?

"If you repeat a lie often enough, the people will believe it"- Joseph Goebbels

Mediot sees, mediots think it, mediots say it...again and again. Easier than doing the analysis.

"You are what you measure"- Robert Bartley

Ian Rapoport had an article on the Patriots defense on nfl.com last week talking about how bad it was.

In the middle of the article, Ian was gracious to note the defense did some good like........getting tons of turnovers and keeping the opponent from scoring much.

So Rapoport condends the unit sucks ....except for doing well in the only two decisive things a defense can do.
So that must mean except for that painting and sculpting thing....maybe Michelangelo was a pretty bad artist?

Ever consider maybe these guys just don't have the deductive and evaluative skills to ask the right questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes