PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DeSean Jackson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blatant and obvious tampering. I can't see how anyone would think different.

Florio's take on the potential of tampering by the NYJ and Woody Johnson:

Jets risk tampering violation by talking about interest in DeSean | ProFootballTalk

When I first heard people saying, "Tampering!" I thought, wait a minute, the Eagles are shopping him. Then I read what Woody said.

He's interested in Jackson...they don't trade for players.

He just publicly signaled (hell, STATED) that if the Eagles release Jackson, the Jets are going after him, thereby weakening any leverage Philly might have in negotiating a restructure/pay cut. I'm not going to pretend that this stuff doesn't happen quietly behind the scenes, because it probably does (players share agents, people talk), but when it goes public, it puts pressure on teams, in this case, the Eagles and any other potential suitors to Jackson - it favors the player over the owners.

Pure and classic case of tampering.

When I first heard people saying, "Tampering!" I thought, wait a minute, the Eagles are shopping him. Then I read what Woody said.

He's interested in Jackson...they don't trade for players.

He just publicly signaled (hell, STATED) that if the Eagles release Jackson, the Jets are going after him, thereby weakening any leverage Philly might have in negotiating a restructure/pay cut. I'm not going to pretend that this stuff doesn't happen quietly behind the scenes, because it probably does (players share agents, people talk), but when it goes public, it puts pressure on teams, in this case, the Eagles and any other potential suitors to Jackson - it favors the player over the owners.

Pure and classic case of tampering.

But the goal is to trade him not restructure, since philly is thinking about cutting him if they dont get any trade offers.

Thus its benefitting philly. Some other team(raiders/browns) will make a trade for him, rather then watch the jets take him so he can play with vick

But the goal is to trade him not restructure, since philly is thinking about cutting him if they dont get any trade offers.

Thus its benefitting philly. Some other team(raiders/browns) will make a trade for him, rather then watch the jets take him so he can play with vick

You're making the same mistake Woody did - Phillly ISN'T "talking" about releasing him...some reporters are hinting that they are.

You cannot do what Woody did - clear as a bell. You can't. He signaled loudly that the Jets would aggressively pursue Jackson if he's cut, which bolsters Jackson's position to be a complete ass if he wants out and to not even talk about restructuring. He doesn't have to fear that there will be minimal interest, or heavy salary cut demands with Woody out there cheering him on.

Classic tampering. And I'm not even a Jets' hater (I don't care enough about that useless organization to hate them).

@RossTuckerNFL: Very rare that player of DJax's caliber in this situation. Can't wait for details that come out once he's an ex-Eagle.

It is strange. $$ may be part of the issue. But not 100% of the problem here

NFL Rumors - WalterFootball.com

DeSean Jackson rumors via the NFL Network and ESPN Panthers: Neither the Seahawks nor Panthers would have interest in Jackson, even if he were released. The Raiders, meanwhile, will not trade for him because they don't want to part with any draft picks.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5h
#Raiders are intrigued by DeSean Jackson, but sources say they are not inclined to give up a '14 pick. Interested in him, if he’s free.

Jeff McLane ‏@Jeff_McLane 38m
Spoke to NFL coach, who said he had no interest in DeSean Jackson, about #Eagles shopping the WR: "Has to be something there we don't know."

Ben Volk ‏@NFLBen 3h
Seahawks & 49ers have denied interest in DeSean Jackson, the Jets are telling the world they want him, and the Patriots are saying nothing.

The Seahawks/49ers/Panthers interests in Jackson have been squashed by local reporters. The Raiders/Jets are only interested if he is cut.

Alot of teams seem inclined to stay away from Jackson. Moss 2.0? :D

The Seahawks/49ers/Panthers interests in Jackson have been squashed by local reporters. The Raiders/Jets are only interested if he is cut.

I liked Moss a lot more than Jackson, for a lot of reasons (not the least of which being once-a-generation skill-set).

Having said that, I trust the Pats' front office to do what's best for the team.

I liked Moss a lot more than Jackson, for a lot of reasons (not the least of which being once-a-generation skill-set).

Having said that, I trust the Pats' front office to do what's best for the team.

Belichick also called Moss one of the smartest football players he's ever coached. I don't get that sense from DeSean Jackson.

when riley cooper is considered better for the team you know there is something off here.

Belichick also called Moss one of the smartest football players he's ever coached. I don't get that sense from DeSean Jackson.

When the financial system collapses and cash is king, DeSean is going to be shown for the genius he really is.

If he can find a better hiding place that is.. ;)

when riley cooper is considered better for the team you know there is something off here.

To be fair, I think they're choosing Maclin over DJax, not Cooper, Cooper showed his value with Foles last season as a solid #2 and a lot of the sports world wants to call Maclin and DJax clones, even if its not true.

Alright Cousin. I have a suggestion:

Trade to benefit both Teams.

Would you do a blockbuster deal and trade Jackson to the Eagles for Wilfork?
We know the Eagles would be inclined to do so.

One of the local Jersey papers that cover the Eagles proposed a Trade for picks and the throw in piece being Siliga-

Link
DeSean Jackson trade rumors: What could the New England Patriots or San Francisco 49ers give the Eagles? | NJ.com

If the Eagles could use a run stuffer and the Pats need a playmaker for Brady other than three kids, a one year wonder we hope can expand to further years, a viable player who is always hurt and a WR who might actually be a #3 or #4 we just signed....plus the good news Gronk and the bad, he is hurt too, perhaps both Teams accommodate.

Why just release these high tier players without compensation? Salaries and CAP hits are voodoo with these types of trades. Although I do not quite understand the implications as per Miguel here, what would be canceled out? Would both Teams regardless of trade, take a CAP hit or Dead Money hit?

My trade would involve multiple players to try to pigeon holes needs. This is for fun.

Willfork:
$7.5m Salary $11.6m Cap hit

Amendola:
$3m Salary $4.57 Cap hit

Tavon Wilson:
Minimal ($773,444 but a CAP hit of a ridiculous $1.15m)

for

DeSean Jackson:
$10.5m Salary $12,75m CAP hit

James Casey:
$3.985 Salary $3.975 CAP hit

Vinny Curry:
Minimal($697,000 in 2014 and slightly more in 2015)

Why the others?
NBA like perhaps...... but the Eagles would need a WR. Macklin is coming off ACL.
They also need a back up Safety. No way Wilson gets a million in 2015 here.

The Pats need a move TE and Casey was successful in Houston as that and a FB too, but miscast on the Eagles as was Vinny Curry who still had five sacks in a rotation even though he is really a 4-3 DE.

It plugs three holes going forward that need to be addressed for the Pats.

It give Vince the out he requested.

With Jackson, Amendola is expendable.

The 2013 MIA Wilson for Curry in essence is a win for the Pats and solves the Pass rush rotation.

It give the Eagles the out on Jackson they obviously requested.

The Eagles made mistakes with Curry and Casey that would be more beneficial for the Pats depth chart.

Curry might be a sleeper pick up. Forced to play the Eagles 3-4 and not as effective. Might be a star as a 4-3 DE pass rusher.

I could live with Casey as move TE and Hooman as the line TE plus a kid in the Draft until Gronk gets back. Casey=Devlin as FB? He has as much speed as AH. In 2012 he caught 34 with 3 TDs and played special Teams. He played a lot of FB so he stats are underwhelming. Diverse signing. He was not a fit in Chip Kelleys' offense.

Thoughts?

DW Toys

A lot of Jets fans are convinced they are getting him...man if he didn't go there..this would be "revis going to the pats" all over again

If he goes elsewhere...then he will suck..we never really wanted him ect

A lot of Jets fans are convinced they are getting him...man if he didn't go there..this would be "revis going to the pats" all over again

If he goes elsewhere...then he will suck..we never really wanted him ect

I'm certainly not hung up on the Patriots getting him....

BUT......

I'll definitely be taking the time to read some Jets forums if he ends up in New England. :D

So Woody Johnson expresses his interest in DeSean Jackson who is under contract with the Eagles. How is that NOT tampering??? Maybe the former Jets employee Goodell will punish them?? Not likely....
Johnson was stupid to publicly express this because it drives the price up in a trade....

Jets owner Woody Johnson confirms team's interest in DeSean Jackson | NJ.com

I think this says he's not interested. I think Woody has cash flow problems somewhere other than the Jets (could also be personal). I'll believe it when it happens.

Tampering may not occur if the owning team is running around with a big "trade for him sign". That's a guess.

I'm almost as sick of hearing about DeSean Jackson as I am the lost Malaysian jetliner. :bricks:

I'm almost as sick of hearing about DeSean Jackson as I am the lost Malaysian jetliner. :bricks:

Dude, that is just not applicable nor funny. 230 people died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes