Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should QBs get to throw the ball any way they like it?

• Yes

Votes: 82 70.1%
  • No the ball should be one way for everybody

Votes: 35 29.9%

• Total voters
That would only serve to further taint the image of the NFL even more... do not see that when they are on the biggest stage..

I wasn't born yesterday Darryl

See a block in the back anywhere on the Tyree catch?

eli-eludes-topper.jpg

I would just like to take a moment to take Roger "flag football" Goodell for this current controversy.

Think about the NFL before it became flag centric. Can you imagine this controversy happening 10-15 years ago? Would a little bit of football air even have raised an eyebrow back then? Someone would punch you in the throat for just suggesting this bs.

What have we become. Thanks for this, Roger. We are truly a product of your new system.

Last edited:
Ben Volin @BenVolin · 12m12 minutes ago
The "sauna theory" is that #Patriots inflate their footballs to 12.5 inside a sauna (or with hot air) knowing they will naturally deflate

Unbelievable.. Volin that fat, useless duck finally put the "hot air" explanation together. Something people here and the rest of the internet were saying since Tuesday. Pulitzer !

Folks - I'm convinced the science explains at least some deflation. The question is: how much did they deflate? Did NFL record PSI measurements or just see the gauge below 12.5 and freak out? Furthermore, Volin says they were checked twice. I hope the refs realize each time you stick a needle into a ball and check its pressure, you will lose some air.

The problem is the NFL has no frame of reference since they've never tested a ball mid-game before.

Are Pash & Wells competent enough to realize science demands a PSI drop? Are they independent enough that they could conclude the NFL never considered basic science as an explanation, since they were tipped off and predisposed to assuming Patriot guilt from the onset?

This investigation could work to our advantage. Right now I see 3 possible endings:

1) The PSI drop is greater than we imagined. Patriots "cheated" - and tampered with the balls. NFL has been collecting legitimate evidence on it for days and laying low. They are about to go MSP to Aaron Hernandez out of the blue on us, and our collective optimism is unjustified. Brady's reputation & career damaged irreparably.

2) The PSI drop is about what science expects, and renders the idea of further tampering ludicrous. The gauge readings were not that exact and the refs only recorded a binary "pass/fail" on the tests. Naturally, the Patriots were going to fail those tests at half-time, the science demands it. The discrepancy with the Colts balls has to do with the nature of the initial pumping of the balls, temperature and pressure they were pumped to. The NFL has never conducted a halftime inspection before so did not know what to expect. But the NFL was too dumb to realize this - however the competent investigators are not. The investigation works to our advantage and reveals this basic fact. NFL has huge egg on its face and has to essentially fully exonerate Pats.

3) PSI drop is explained by science, but investigators are too tunnel visioned to ever realize it. They focus purely on human tampering - never find evidence (b/c there wouldn't be any!!) Patriots face some or no punishment. Court of public opinion convicts Brady. Career & rep irrepably damaged. Facts/science never enough to convince stupid people.

I was watching espn and there was a blurb saying they still believe it was deliberate.

And poor Tom had to answer not one but TWO questions from that *** Borges. I think Tom did very well in an impossible situation. Just before the presser some guy asked FandM why they were so negative toward the Pats. Felger, that pos said "that's my job." IT IS?

Jerry Thornton is now my new hero. Holley is still my hero. Good non-scandal scandal stuff here.
http://media.weei.com/a/101236285/how-much-more-balls-take-can-we-possibly-take.htm

I have really felt the same as Holley. People are nuts. Rationality is out the window.

I have really felt the same as Holley. People are nuts. Rationality is out the window.

As is the voice of reason... "the Pats have to be cheating".

2) The PSI drop is about what science expects, and renders the idea of further tampering ludicrous. The gauge readings were not that exact and the refs only recorded a binary "pass/fail" on the tests. Naturally, the Patriots were going to fail those tests at half-time, the science demands it. The discrepancy with the Colts balls has to do with the nature of the initial pumping of the balls, temperature and pressure they were pumped to. The NFL has never conducted a halftime inspection before so did not know what to expect. But the NFL was too dumb to realize this - however the competent investigators are not. The investigation works to our advantage and reveals this basic fact. NFL has huge egg on its face and has to essentially fully exonerate Pats.

You know that'll never happen. Even if that's what the investigators turn up, the NFL will never, ever let it see the light of day.

I was watching espn and there was a blurb saying they still believe it was deliberate.

Of course they do. Why would they let science get in the way of their fun?

You know that'll never happen. Even if that's what the investigators turn up, the NFL will never, ever let it see the light of day.

The league would be foolish to ignore science that anybody with basic equipment could replicate. The blowback on them would be even greater than it would be if Brady had lied, for instance.

I'm fairly confident the truth will come out - my only question is if the investigators will pay it enough mind to realize it. But if the NFL discovers this was much ado about nothing and Patriots were not at all at fault, there's too much at stake for them to stifle that.

I wasn't born yesterday Darryl

See a block in the back anywhere on the Tyree catch?

eli-eludes-topper.jpg
How about the chokehold O'Hara has on one of our rushers. There was about 3 blatant penalties that could have been called on that play. Makes me sick! Ref is just standing there watching it all!

Why don't they fill the balls with nitrogen, wouldn't this solve the temp differential problem

They should fill them with Hydrogen for a Gronk spike

Why don't they fill the balls with nitrogen, wouldn't this solve the temp differential problem
No. Nitrogen responds to the laws of nature the same as air (air is 78% nitrogen)

I believe nitrogen still expands, just maybe not as much. We use it in aircraft tires and other applications. Definitely affected by the cold, but don't know the difference. It may not be enough to matter at low pressures, or small containers. Mythbusters checked helium and that didn't matter. But, in all likelihood they don't use it because they know it's not a big deal.

I just finished reading War and Peace. Then I started reading this thread......

The league would be foolish to ignore science that anybody with basic equipment could replicate. The blowback on them would be even greater than it would be if Brady had lied, for instance.

I'm fairly confident the truth will come out - my only question is if the investigators will pay it enough mind to realize it. But if the NFL discovers this was much ado about nothing and Patriots were not at all at fault, there's too much at stake for them to stifle that.

That's what the looking for validation from the media types have to ask.

If the league just came out and admitted the truth- they don't actually check the footballs......can you imagine the reaction from the nut job crowd about how the league cheats for the Patriots?

The league needs a way out. The investigators will come up with recommendations for improved security and testing.

Actually, maybe they do. I wonder if that is the big issue. A nitrogen filled ball will still have a pressure change with temperature, less, but it still happens.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back