Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should QBs get to throw the ball any way they like it?

• Yes

Votes: 82 70.1%
  • No the ball should be one way for everybody

Votes: 35 29.9%

• Total voters
Just go at the haters with comments like "Yeah, I wish Brady would deflate MY balls!". I have found that shuts people up pretty quick, cause they just don't know how to respond. Try it, it's fun!

The issue isn't whether or not deflating the balls gave any benefit. It's that the Pats MAY have circumvented the rule that prohibits them from tampering with the balls after said balls have been inspected and authorized as in tolerance spec by league officials.

IF the Pats are shown to have done this then they should be penalized. Given their past transgressions and the severity of them as it pertains to fair competition (on the leagues 2nd grandest stage - championship weekend), I would imagine any issued penalty would be very severe.

The Panthers/Vikings did the same thing and didn't receive much punishment. There were reports about the Jets, Broncos and now the Browns filming/stealing signals from other teams with cameras or in Cleveland's case cellphones in the stands. There was no outcry from the media or punishment from the league. Why are the Patriots being or should be held to a different standard? Why are referees not being punished for deciding the outcomes of games (DAL/DET game or DAL/GB game), does Goodell believe a public apology or acknowledgement is enough to please poor Cowboy fans. That was probably their last chance at ever getting close to a SB in the next ten years, especially if Romo is still QBing. Why aren't the referees being questioned for these "deflated" balls being used during the game? How come we hear about old Ray Lewis getting jacked up on deer/roid spray over the years and then the story dies just like that. They still allowed him to play in the SB that year, no punishment and nothing else from the media. If Brady was on that spray, he'd be done as far as the media is concerned.

The double standard between the Patriots and the 31 other teams is what annoys me about the media and the NFL. Sad part is the Seahawks will probably be calling the Pats cheaters during their media day pressers.

I am far less concerned about this than I had been. Reasons are:

1) I know that PSI drops with temp. Patriots could have used warm air or warmed the balls to make the 12.5 knowing they would decrease to get to the point Brady likes them and this would be completely legal as it is not forbidden by the rules

Guesses
2) I don't think the reffs probably did a good job looking at them before the game
3) I have read but don't know as fact, that the ball boys are paid by NFL not Patriots so even if they did doi anything it would be an NFL employee
4) I have also read, though do not know myself, that the Patriots use old balls up to 14 years old and who knows how well a 14 year old ball holds air after who knows how many games. If the reffs let it is that is that. This isnt crazy as my own football I toss around is older than that.

I am leaning towards there is not much the NFL can do without a smoking gun. Yes the Patriots will be smeared but this seems like an NFL issue not Patriots.

I would love for it to be 1. That would be pretty awesome, and as you said, not technically against the rules.

You wan`t to know something interesting? I am able to get Canadian Sports TV persepctive on this topic through TSN which is partly owned or somehow affiliated with ESPN. They use similiar formats and graphics, yet their announcers seem to be able to report sports and not be overly dramatic or emotional about it.

So, they find this topic comical, as in this is the biggest joke non story ever type of comical reaction, where-as its USA counterpart ESPN just grabs it and milks it for all it can or at least I assume, as I stopped watching ESPN after spygate...anyone wan`t to confirm? Can only imagine what the ESPN Hackjobs are saying on this topic...Mike Reiss not included of course.

Forgive me for the dumb question (English not my native language), but what does PR stand for?!
Public relations? That's the best I could come up with.

Yeah, PR = public relations.

As a long time Pats fan I am disappointed by the Spygate issue and now this, but having suffered through years of poor play I will gladly celebrate the years of dominance under the black cloud.

I would put money on the fact the other team do the same type of think as the Pats, but due to the Pats 15 year dominance people are pissy about it. When the Pats beat Seattle I will happily celebrate under my black cloud.

I'm really starting to wonder if something much bigger is in play here, and the fingers point all the way to the top at the league itself. Especially hearing about Rodgers and other QBs around the league.

To keep it short... could it be possible that the NFL in their never-ending pursuit of big offense and big passing -deliberately tells its officials to let rules like this slide for only the top QBs in this game? Having one set of rules for the best QBs and another for ordinary QBs?

I say yes it absolutely could. It would certainly explain the inability (unwillingness?) of the refs to tell there was a problem with the footballs. And giving Irsay confidence to catch the Patriots with their pants down on this.

If the Patriots are punished, it better be for cheating and not as a facade to cover up the way the league does business. If it's the latter I expect Kraft to announce a massive lawsuit right afterward.

Maybe Mark Cuban was right...

B75Oy0LCYAABwVC.png

Just go at the haters with comments like "Yeah, I wish Brady would deflate MY balls!". I have found that shuts people up pretty quick, cause they just don't know how to respond. Try it, it's fun!
lol, funny since he has deflated so many haters balls over the years.

I'm listening to Francesa on the fan right now. First uses " I thought this would go away yesterday". Yeah right, he harped on it all day long yesterday. Now he's going off saying that the colts should get a first round pick from the US, the owner should come down on Bellichick,. What a **** he is. he has such an agenda. Work in the New York fan base into a frothy foam. I wish him unwell

Francesa would cut this person off before they could finish their first sentence, but I'd love someone to ask him if he wants the Giants to return the '86 and '90 SB titles because Belichick was there. And how he feels about Belichick learning how to film signals from his buddy Parcells.

Anyone catch Mike Freemans article on Bleacher Report? It's only br and it's over reactionary, but it still left me feeling a bit depressed seeing what he said.

For whatever is worth, here is the general opinion so far on the issue. From ESPN, at least.

wWhjjt5.jpg

Only fans over 60% are Washington (Seahawks) and Indiana (Colts) fans, as well as fans in Nevada (no idea which fans dominate the area). Surprised to see NY and Ohio fans at 51% only.

But whatever, the fact that some people think Patriots' success is tarnished for this, before reaching a final report on the investigation, speaks to volume how serious should we even take their opinion.

Anyone catch Mike Freemans article on Bleacher Report? It's only br and it's over reactionary, but it still left me feeling a bit depressed seeing what he said.
I read it and it seems like a complete trash job compared to everything else he has written.

I haven't seen it, but given your tone I guess it's negative. Which is interesting, because a few days ago he had a great rebuttal of Cameragate and Cameragate whiners. So he's not necessarily one of the haterz.

The fact that opposing NFL players and head coaches see this a non issue shows how much the story is overblown by the media and of course opposing fans. Pats players have laughed it off as well let's wait til the full report comes out and see what really happened either way my team is in the Superbowl through their hard work and resiliency **** all the haters

Anyone have a guess at when they release an official statement?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back