PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defending the Pats Offense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Good thread the other day about could BB stop the Pats offense...I'm curious as to how you would try to defend them.

I think I would make them dink and dunk all the way and play the pass heavy, but Brady is obviously very adept at working like that. Play it almost like the Pats played the Rams in Super Bowl 36. I don't know how else you're supposed to do it, because blitzing is quite risky especially if the Pats are keeping 7 in to block and Moss can beat double coverage anyway.

Blitz Brady to all heck and have your CBs all but tackle the receivers and how they don't get called for penalties...and then hope your blitz gets there quick enough. Even then Welker will recognize and hopefully get free quickly.

Not that I want to give any advice to opponents...but I think that's the best way to go about slowing the Pats.

The Colts actually match up well, unfortunately in that their cover 2 doesn't allow the deep balls with one-on-one and yet they will often get pressure with just 4 rushers.
To beat Indy, you really do have to dink and dunk (avoid throwing the deep ball), run the ball effectively and score TDs.
Certainly can be done, but requires patience from the offense.

I agree with the previous post. The defense would need to be aggressive and put the pressure on Tom-maybe show some different looks and try to confuse. But I've got to hand it to our O-Line-they're pretty decent and I think we'll get better. We have some young guys that are still developing.

One way to counter the speed of Indy's Dlineman is to use their aggressiveness against them-maybe some sceens etc (the dink-dunk) offense-again like the prev. post..
I don't think we've even seen half of what our offense is capable of!
Tom's very good at the hurry up shotgun pace and we have som many weapons this year that can open up quickly with heavy blitzing.

Practice makes perfect and we'll see peeks of new stuff coming up depending on who we play.

There is no way to beat our offense as long as our defense continues to be consistent- I see at least 4 TD's per game. I hope we use Gost as little as possible

To contain the Pats, enter Kenny Mayne line here, you have to have the players cause they way they are playing one scheme isnt gonna stop them. these guys are like water and they adapt to different situations. but if you have the players I would play in a cover 2 shell and blitz my middle LB from different sides to help keep brady on his toes. if he completes anything over the middle it wont go far. Meanwhile he wont be able to run effective enough to keep the ball long. Make him dink and dunk you to the endzone.

What would BB do to defend this offense?
First he would stop the run.
Secondly, he would make you move in small chunks. Mix in beating up recievers, with over the top coverage. Make them complete short passes. On 3rd down, blitz them to death.

I think it would be great to see our 1st team O and second team D vs our 2nd team O and first team D. On the one hand, I think our D would have their hands full, but on the other hand our D is very hard to score on.

Maybe until the NFC can offer up a legit SB team, they should do this, with the AFC team playing itself in the SB. (To premept the flaming posts I AM KIDDING)

I'd try to take away the pass first. Don't let any big plays. In the past, defenses didn't have to worry about that. Now they do. Make us do long drives and hope for penalties/turnovers. Kind of like what teams do to the Colts. Look at it this way. Do you want to give Maroney 5yds? Or, maybe give a big chunk in passing game to; Moss/Welker/Watson/Stallworth? Make us go in 3-5 yd increments.

a.) Take away the pass and make them earn the yards. Hope offense can keep up.

b.) Blitz like hell with confusing yet ultimately weak coverages

Hmmmmm Defending the Pats offense.
OK Well for one we are averaging 38 points a game thats pretty good. The offensive line gives the quaterback plenty of time to throw and opens up some holes in the run game. We have the good balance between run and pass and don't turn the ball over much. And Oh yeah our quaterback is pretty good to. Well that was easy.

On 3rd down, blitz them to death.
I was thinking this, but imagine blitzing the Pats and leaving both Welker and Moss in man-coverage? Yikes! These guys can run slants as well as anyone and if there's no safety in sight, put up 6 for the Pats on the scoreboard.

I think the way to defend the Pats offense is to keep them off the field (like NY did to Buffalo in SB25). Of course this requires an ability to bleed out first downs against a very tough Pats D. Easier said than done.

Regards,
Chris

1) Get a credible pass rush vs. the Pats' O-line (which nobody has been able to do so far)
2) Go with the 3-4 with four freak-of-nature linebackers who can take the short yardage away from Welker, Watson, and Maroney consistently

Hmm, those seem kind of contradictory, eh?

If all else fails,

3) Sweep the leg.

Yes, you'll be disqualified, but the topic was about defending the Pats, not winning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft