Defending the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots defense will provide big test for Redskins

The Patriots’ defense is good: The numbers don’t do them justice, in part because they’re skewed by teams moving the ball in the second half after trailing by double digits. New England averages a 10-point lead at halftime. So the first-half numbers -- when it’s still a ballgame -- matter and in the first two quarters, the Patriots rank fifth in points allowed, fourth in yards per play, eighth in yards per carry allowed and fourth in total yards. They’re not infallible by any means, but they are very good.​

We've got a long way to go, but the defense is actually doing it's job when it matters, and that bodes well for the future.

Patriots defense will provide big test for Redskins

The Patriots’ defense is good: The numbers don’t do them justice, in part because they’re skewed by teams moving the ball in the second half after trailing by double digits. New England averages a 10-point lead at halftime. So the first-half numbers -- when it’s still a ballgame -- matter and in the first two quarters, the Patriots rank fifth in points allowed, fourth in yards per play, eighth in yards per carry allowed and fourth in total yards. They’re not infallible by any means, but they are very good.​

We've got a long way to go, but the defense is actually doing it's job when it matters, and that bodes well for the future.

One could interpret that to mean that the patriots defense is good when teams are still trying to run the ball. In the second half the patriots defense is exposed because teams decide to pass more.

Was just browsing through PFF and only one player in the NFL has a situational grade* above 100 currently. Can you name him?

* Situational grade means a specific role i.e. Pass blocking, or Run Defense or Pass Rushing etc rather than the overall grade.

Dont'a Hightower is the only person graded above 100. He gets that grade for his pass rushing.

Was just browsing through PFF and only one player in the NFL has a situational grade* above 100 currently. Can you name him?

* Situational grade means a specific role i.e. Pass blocking, or Run Defense or Pass Rushing etc rather than the overall grade.

Dont'a Hightower is the only person graded above 100. He gets that grade for his pass rushing.

Can you screenshot that? I wanna go post it on r/nfl for all those Pats hating assholes.

Can you screenshot that? I wanna go post it on r/nfl for all those Pats hating assholes.

Unfortunately I can only see grades by position so all I can screenshot is how Hightower compares to other linebackers.

One could interpret that to mean that the patriots defense is good when teams are still trying to run the ball. In the second half the patriots defense is exposed because teams decide to pass more.
Exposed? No. We usually have a big lead and go to a prevent defense.

Only marginally. NY and Indy passed worse in the second half, Miami had one decent drive throwing but did nothing over the final 20 minutes, Pitt moved the ball equally well throughout and while Dallas had more success, they had no choice but to and still only scored 3 points.

Buffalo is the only game that supports the idea that teams would move the ball more easily if they just threw the ball early and often.

Hightower also has an insane 32 solo tackles out of a total of 38 total tackles. One man wrecking crew.

Only marginally. NY and Indy passed worse in the second half, Miami had one decent drive throwing but did nothing over the final 20 minutes, Pitt moved the ball equally well throughout and while Dallas had more success, they had no choice but to and still only scored 3 points.

Buffalo is the only game that supports the idea that teams would move the ball more easily if they just threw the ball early and often.

Pass rush combined with bad Qb play

And even then, 70 of Pittsburgh's passing yards came on a garbage time drive that resulted in a TD with two seconds left.

Hightower also has an insane 32 solo tackles out of a total of 38 total tackles. One man wrecking crew.

I believe he's our best defensive player. Collins is close but I personally give the edge to Hightower. McCourty, Sheard, Chandler Jones and (maybe) Patrick Chung are fighting it out for 3rd best.

But you just said they were exposed once teams started passing. Are you now saying they would have been exposed? What defense is going to perform well when the opposing QB plays great and isn't pressured?

If I was someone who liked to dance I would ask you to teach me those sweet dance moves

But you just said they were exposed once teams started passing. Are you now saying they would have been exposed? What defense is going to perform well when the opposing QB plays great and isn't pressured?

Just a baseless claim by him.

But in all fairness, we have yet to go up against an elite passer (Roethlisberger was hurt by his team's poor play and coaching blunders) and the Bills sorta lit up our defense in the 4th quarter during Week 2, where we gave up the most points we've had all season long.

There are legitimate concerns about the defense. I'm not excited about what the CBs if Butler gets hurt, and you can imagine a deep receiving corps finding some favorable matchup. (this is why I think the Wash game is going to have some valuable teaching moments).

I just think the hyperbole takes away from Mum's points.

But in all fairness, we have yet to go up against an elite passer (Roethlisberger was hurt by his team's poor play and coaching blunders) and the Bills sorta lit up our defense in the 4th quarter during Week 2, where we gave up the most points we've had all season long.
....and the game was pretty much over when Roeth started getting garbage-time chunk plays.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but on a per play basis the run and pass D are giving up less yards. The run D especially.

Just some other defensive tidbits from PFF:

• Patrick Chung is their 4th highest rated Patriot this season behind Brady, Gronk and McCourty
  • They love our safeties in coverage. Harmon (3rd), Chung (4th) and McCourty (5th) only trail Malcolm Jenkins and Charles Woodson amongst all NFL safeties in pass coverage.
  • Harmon is the 6th best player on the team (offence and defence) according to them.
  • Hightower (12th) and Collins (14th) don't grade out super high amongst linebackers. Hightower is punished for his coverage and Collins for his run defence. But in terms of pass rush, Hightower is the highest graded linebacker and Collins the 5th highest.
  • Easley gets a high grade, the rest of the interior DL don't.
  • Chandler Jones is the 32nd highest ranked Edge defender. Sheard is ranked above him.
  • Coleman, Butler and Ryan are all in the top 63 CBs. Logan Ryan is graded the highest at 37.

True, but both those games also happened before the front seven had solidified.

There are legitimate concerns about the defense. I'm not excited about what the CBs if Butler gets hurt, and you can imagine a deep receiving corps finding some favorable matchup. (this is why I think the Wash game is going to have some valuable teaching moments).

I just think the hyperbole takes away from Mum's points.

I agree. I think this game will be a bit frustrating for some Pats fans.

WASH is all based on short passing and quick throws.

I think they'll be in a ton of short zone and not so much man.

It'll be interesting to see how they use DJ. They'll put Malcolm on him but have Harmon over the top.

Garcon loves to sit in spots.

The Pats' offensive play will dictate how disciplined the WASH offense stays as Cousins is still a young QB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye