PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defending against the NYJ Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
great points
keep em coming!

Re: Defending the NYJ Offense

Spike is more effective in 1st and 2nd downs but i still think spike was very effective playing behing some 330LB DT and now he will be behing 300LBDT .He has not practiced / watched film /coached for 4 weeks. No one know what he did for 4 weeks away from the team. I will have to hold judgement.He seems so immature.

Keller- A reason i said we need more from guyton and mayo. Guyton drops so fast and has some big wing span a reason he snaps Interception. He run with keller and cover shallow areas.Also mayo dropping shallow and near LOS guyton drops even deeper complimenting mayo.Also a reason i slants and seam routes. Its not only keller but he brings edwards also in the seam as those are easier throws.

the Keller bit is right on SATZ!

Right now Smith isn't practicing with a groin injury. Which would mean no wildcat and less scary returns. Cromartie is fast but he doesn't scare me as much as a healthy Smith. I don't see the Pats special teams rolling over like the Colts did in such a crucial situation. I actually relish the idea of the team getting to hit Cro early and often (the more Cro returns means the more we are scoring).

Woody is officially done and Brandon Moore hasn't practiced because of a bad back. They already have one awful guard in Slauson; if they have to play a backup that can't unseat that guy then I see Vince having a big day inside.

Smith and Moore will be big guys to watch in the coming days; this is why the bye is so huge.

Exactly.
I've spent the last couple days re-watching all the Jets' games since the 2nd Pats game, and everything beyond 10 yards is at least a good foot above the receivers head.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with his ailing shoulder?

We're pretty safe on the passing game unless Rex can sign this guy...

Mr_Fantastic_Statue.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding Tomlinson, his YPC has gone down each month :

Sep 5.6
Oct 4.7
Nov 3.4
Dec 3.3

Also despite a solid 4.2 YPC on the year, his average in games below 40 degrees is 3.7 (whether it's the whether or the carries that has brought down the numbers, he's facing both issues this week - cold and lots of carries on an old body).

Add in the loss of their second best run blocker and our thin DL will have an easier time in this matchup than they otherwise might.

I'm not remotely concerned about the medium to deep passing game, Sanchez is mediocre, worse in bad weather, scared to death of Gillette and we should get a solid pass rush with Cunningham back and what guys like Moore have added.

I do expect the Jest to have some success in the short area, to Keller, swings to LaGirlian, etc, but they won't score enough points that way unless our offense melts down.

Last edited:

Sep 5.6
Oct 4.7
Nov 3.4
Dec 3.3

Also despite a solid 4.2 YPC on the year, his average in games below 40 degrees is 3.7 (whether it's the whether or the carries that has brought down the numbers, he's facing both issues this week - cold and lots of carries on an old body).

Add in the loss of their second best run blocker and our thin DL will have an easier time in this matchup than they otherwise might.

I'm not remotely concerned about the medium to deep passing game, Sanchez is mediocre, worse in bad weather, scared to death of Gillette and we should get a solid pass rush with Cunningham back and what guys like Moore have added.

I do expect the Jest to have some success in the short area, to Keller, swings to LaGirlian, etc, but they won't score enough points that way unless our offense melts down.
In the 2nd half of the season Ldt averaged a meager 3.3 per carry, and he and Greene COMBINED for just 690 yards, 85 a game.
Conversely BJGE ran forover 600 himslef, at 4,6 a pop and Woodhead added over 300 and a 6.1 yards per rush.
The running games havent even been close since the mod point of the season.

I wanted to start this thread to get input/ideas etc. on preparation for the Jets.

This board always has great info from a knowledgeable fan base and I'm curious to see what things we can do defensively to shut out the Jets.

I'd like any tips or additional info on how we should plan for the Jets.

My observations:

Cromartie on KR's is scary. He's a big target but very fast and doesn't dance around. We have to hit him early or he'll have success. Graham is not Gostkowski- he doesn't kick as deep and Rex knows this.
When he's a CB we can exploit the quick inside slant w/ Welker/Edelman/Branch/Woodhead...name your poison. Welker could beat him all day. But I'm not focusing on offense just D.

B. Smith and the Wildcat formation is another offensive/STthreat.

The Jets showed again that they can run efficiently.
This helped Sanchez in the 2nd half by taking pressure off him (passing) and by exploiting the Colts protection of the middle of the field. This ate up clock and kept Manning off the field. LT needs to be accounted for. Broken plays resulted in short dishes from Sanchez to LT in an uncovered open field. LT can hit the edge hard too so we'll need our ILBS and DB's to get in on EVERY play-especially to hit hard on EVERY play.

Braylon Edwards is a big, braggadocios drama queen who has talent. I would like to see him shut down like Reggie Wayne. Throw to Keller-I don't care-Keller won't win the game.

Crotchery has always been a 3rd and long threat always making clutch plays (I don't want to see D. Tyree type stuff)

also we have S. Holmes. Who do you think will cover him?

We saw extra tackles/TE's etc...from Snottenheimers offense....the Wildcat as I mentioned above-What are your ideas or input on how to snuff these guys?

We saw an erratic Snachez at times when the heat was on. He can scramble and I'm hoping this will generate at least 2 INT's for our defense. Tipped passes, fumbles etc...I'll take them. The Jets were lucky last night-they could have been picked more than once. This is good news for us...because Sanchez is not Manning and Bill preps for QB's pretty well.

Most importantly our D needs to STOP the RUN!

What are your ideas/opinions/premonitions/etc?

Here's to a brutal and violent game:cool:
I hope we shut 'em down!

YouTube - public enemy - shut'em down ( HQ )
i think keller is more dangerous than edwards. if sanchez is throwing deep or to the sidelines consistently its better than right up the middle to keller.

Personally, I would consider doing it exactly like they did it last time. The Pats were in sub packages most of the game with five or more DBs on the field. The Jets had a great rushing game against the Pats (31 carried for 152 and 4.9 YPC), but only scored 3 points. Sanchez was picked 3 times because he will make a lot of mistakes.

I think this is highly likely, with an additional wrinkle or two. The 15 and 24 packages were pretty effective, which is lucky for us because that is what we will need to do anyway what with the thin DL squad we have. I hope that we will see more of the line shift after the intial protection is called. That seems to really throw off Sanchez's timing and complicates how he calls the mike. We mess with his head there too by having either ILB walk up the A gap or going with a reduced line- makes it hard for him to decide who's the mike.

I think this is highly likely, with an additional wrinkle or two. The 15 and 24 packages were pretty effective, which is lucky for us because that is what we will need to do anyway what with the thin DL squad we have. I hope that we will see more of the line shift after the intial protection is called. That seems to really throw off Sanchez's timing and complicates how he calls the mike. We mess with his head there too by having either ILB walk up the A gap or going with a reduced line- makes it hard for him to decide who's the mike.

i think i read somewhere mayo saying that this is what they did vs sub runs in the 2nd game where they moved their alignments to somewhat confuse them.

Exactly.
I've spent the last couple days re-watching all the Jets' games since the 2nd Pats game, and everything beyond 10 yards is at least a good foot above the receivers head.

I'm wondering if it's an issue with his ailing shoulder?

Good input. Hopefully our DB's will keep this in mind

I am wondering when some defensive coordinator will decide to take the easy slants away from Sanchez. Because that's the only pass the guy can throw with any consistency.

Sep 5.6
Oct 4.7
Nov 3.4
Dec 3.3

Great points....
We can really get in LT's head if we shut him down-which I think we can. Crom and he brought the piss attitude from the Chargers. So, he hates the cold? It would be a great opportunity to muscle the ball out of his hands!

Glad Cunningham is back....he'll make and impact along w/ Moore for sure.

It really is impossible if we dont TO the ball and consistently drive and score. They def. can't throw 40pts on us.lol

I am wondering when some defensive coordinator will decide to take the easy slants away from Sanchez. Because that's the only pass the guy can throw with any consistency.

Several other observations have noted that on this thread. Thats something I really haven't thought about. Maybe Sanchez gets hit and taken out of the game....his throws are scary and so aren't our DB's!!! INT's!

i think keller is more dangerous than edwards. if sanchez is throwing deep or to the sidelines consistently its better than right up the middle to keller.

Agreed.
Kellers the go to big target that Snaches likes

spike is back w/ mayo and i hear guyton will be a great matchup for keller.
our ilbs will be a big part of the d

I think the Patriots will concern themselves morewith shutting down the inside lanes when they hit the RZ - remember that Spikes pick?

There were 3 other Patriots in a better position than the Jets WR to catch that ball - when space gets limited Sanchez will panic.

It's Cotchery,,,,Jericho Cotchery.

No it's not. It's definitely Crotchery. Jericho Crotchery. And he catches or drops passes from Jets QB Mark Snatchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News