PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Declaring / Not Declaring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue with you but if you can't see something as clear as this its pretty obvious you're hopeless.

There isn't anything for you to argue. You were talking from a point of hindsight with your statement. I called you on it. You clearly didn't understand and still don't.

Thanks for bringing nothing.

Jerel Worthy in

Brandon Jenkins out (there goes a 34 OLB candidate)

Alshon Jeffrey in

And one of my early favourites and a potential safety conversion, Stephon Gilmore is in the draft.

Landry Jones is not coming out.

Landry Jones is not coming out.

Since Barkley and Jones are now out of the draft, I wonder if the second tier QB's start to make a run up draft boards similar to what happened with Ponder and Gabbert last year?

If a guy like Weedon rises to mid first round level, then that makes one more player available to us, since it is doubtful we would take a QB in round one.

Of course teams could look at Dalton and the Bengals and just let a QB fall to them in round two, but this league is so QB hungry that I can;t see that happening.

Do any of the teams with young QB's that flamed out or in the process of flaming out this season go QB in the first this draft? Browns, Bucs, Vikings, Jags and Denver for example.

Since Barkley and Jones are now out of the draft, I wonder if the second tier QB's start to make a run up draft boards similar to what happened with Ponder and Gabbert last year?

If a guy like Weedon rises to mid first round level, then that makes one more player available to us, since it is doubtful we would take a QB in round one.

Of course teams could look at Dalton and the Bengals and just let a QB fall to them in round two, but this league is so QB hungry that I can;t see that happening.

Do any of the teams with young QB's that flamed out or in the process of flaming out this season go QB in the first this draft? Browns, Bucs, Vikings, Jags and Denver for example.

I can see Tannehill going to the Seahawks in the first, he's ideal for their "point guard" QB requirement. The other really interesting one is Brock Osweiler of Arizona St, around whom there are rumours of coming out. Incredible upside that I think a lot of teams will want to have on their roster, even teams like Dallas or Houston who can afford to sit him for a couple of years whilst he continues his QB education.

GBN are reprting that Peter Konz will be entering the draft:

Wisconsin junior C Peter Konz has reportedly decided to leave school and enter the 2012 draft. The 6-5, 315-pound Konz is considered to be the top C in college football and a possible late first round pick this coming April.

Just how interested would we be? Or does Ben Jones (late second) or Michael Brewster (3rd) offer better value?

QB Osweiler, WR Stephen Hill (great speed, ? hands & route running), RB's B. Pierce & D. Wilson to enter the draft. More fodder for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Just how interested would we be? Or does Ben Jones (late second) or Michael Brewster (3rd) offer better value?

Favorable scouting report on Brewster from NFP (Bunting, I presume). Sounds generally like someone Dante could work with. Also, IIRC, there was some discussion last draft wrt blocking schemes played in college that favored Solder over Carimi for the Pats. Wondering if there's a similar scheme-difference applicability with (someone like) Brewster vs. Konz.

He would be an instant starter and provide 5 years of solid service. Nice safe pick, could play guard if needed.

Wisconsin junior C Peter Konz has reportedly decided to leave school and enter the 2012 draft. The 6-5, 315-pound Konz is considered to be the top C in college football and a possible late first round pick this coming April.

I prefer Konz and Jones to Brewster.. I think that Konz would be a great starting center for the Pats cause he's got a mean streak. As does Jones.. Brewster is technically sound, but doesn't have that mean streak..

At the beginning of the year, I wanted Konz in the late first. After seeing us go through four centers and still win, I am not as insistent on an early-round talent as center; I'd prefer to go defense.

Still, if Konz is somehow available in the mid-late second, I think we should add him to the squad.

At the beginning of the year, I wanted Konz in the late first. After seeing us go through four centers and still win, I am not as insistent on an early-round talent as center; I'd prefer to go defense.

Still, if Konz is somehow available in the mid-late second, I think we should add him to the squad.

That's kind of my feeling, too. The Pats #2, #3 and #4 all seemed at least competent in passpro while the #2 guy for a couple other teams that had injury issues with their #1 OC didn't seem to perform even as well as McDonald.

OTOH, the Pats' ground game up the middle seemed relatively weak and inconsistent after Koppen went down (which probably hurt BGE's performance more than that of any other Pats' RB), so it's possible that Connolly, Wendell and McDonald don't quite have the run-blocking chops.

McDonald could develop in that department, I suppose - though he DID miss more than a couple key run-blocks at the LoS that I saw, he's relatively green and may have more upside in Dante's eyes than we know. At 6'4"+/316, he also seems built a bit stouter than Koppen and Wendell - he's probably about the same size as Konz, a bit taller than Ben Jones and a bit heftier than Brewster.

But both Connolly and Wendell have been around for awhile, so, if they're not up to Koppen's level in run-blocking up the gut by this point, perhaps they aren't destined to get there. Both Connolly and Wendell are UFA, AFAIK, as is Koppen. I think it's entirely possible that Connolly gets offered a disproportionately large contract to start elsewhere, so I'm leaning toward the OC/OG ranks being thinned by him leaving. There may even be a better chance that Koppen sticks for one more contract.

Leaving aside, for the moment, potential constraints regarding blocking-scheme differences (Dante apparently runs a significantly different scheme than what Wisconsin does and I don't know about Ohio State and Georgia) . . .

Konz, based on scouting write-ups, seems like the best prospective overall addition to the group, BUT - I, too, am not thrilled with the possibility that the Pats might have to spend a first-rounder to get him. After all, Dante has done pretty damn well for the OC position with a 5th-rounder (Koppen) and 3 UDFAs. Also - and I do NOT intend to start some Dowling-like mythology about Konz being "injury prone" - Konz apparently has had some chronic ankle issues (which, could, of course, also drop him into the 2nd round).

Jones is rated as a somewhat more solid OC prospect than Brewster by NFP, although, from what I've read, Jones has played mostly OG, so Center would represent a position change for him. If he's successful, OG/OC versatility would be a major plus, though I'd want to wait until I read reports rating his transition from observers at his all-star game practices. Another factor, though, is that BB/Dante might not be keen on spending even a (currently projected) 2nd/3rd-round pick under such circumstances. They might be just as happy with someone like, say, OG/OT Kelvin Beachum (6'3"/306, Southern Methodist) in the 4th round or later if they're going to take a "transition" player. Bunting give Beachum a nice report and we may get a chance to see him in the Shrine Game.

Brewster, then, seems a very acceptable selection - smart/aware, technically very sound, sufficiently athletic, good size/strength and currently projected as a late-2nd to late-3rd.

Assuming that BB doesn't finish draft weekend having made only six selections, there may be some "high-value options" beyond Konz.

RB. Edwin Baker of Michigan State.

His numbers declined precipitiously this year with the beast Le'Veon Bell and a bit of the case of fumble-itis.

However, his strength and speed are not far off Richardson's.

Baker is a legitimate 4.4 speedster with impressive strength in the weight room. Although short at 5'8", he's a bit over 200 pounds of rock muscle. So he's an upgrade over Danny Woodhead IMHO.

It's too bad we threw away our late round picks on wasted FA pickups like Fat Albert and OchoStinko.

Edwin Baker is a more impressive physical specimen than his predecessor, Javon Ringer, now with the Titans, a fifth-rounder I believe.

I'm happy to wait another year before drafting our C of the future, because I think the best C in college football is playing LT for the Alabama Crimson Tide in the National Title game, and he has already said he is returning to school for the 2012 season. So I will happily wait another year for Barret Jones, although I think his stock could rise dramatically next year because he may actually be playing C for Alabama.

I'm happy to wait another year before drafting our C of the future, because I think the best C in college football is playing LT for the Alabama Crimson Tide in the National Title game, and he has already said he is returning to school for the 2012 season. So I will happily wait another year for Barret Jones, although I think his stock could rise dramatically next year because he may actually be playing C for Alabama.

WHOA. :eek:

That's pretty BOLD, my bold friend!! :rocker:

Frankly, I wouldn't make that play ~ at least not on my current level of understanding ~ as I don't see any "Center" experience on his Resume...but I am REALLY excited about the notion of drafting him next year...but at O Guard.

Man, I would LOVE to read a persuasive Argument from you ~ for your Credit, my friend, is Good :cool: ~ about why you think he's going to Center, and why you think he'll be good, there. Is there nobody else besides Vlachos?? If not, it'd be very interesting, indeed, to see how he does...:cool:

OTOH, the Pats' ground game up the middle seemed relatively weak and inconsistent after Koppen went down (which probably hurt BGE's performance more than that of any other Pats' RB), so it's possible that Connolly, Wendell and McDonald don't quite have the run-blocking chops.

McDonald could develop in that department, I suppose - though he DID miss more than a couple key run-blocks at the LoS that I saw, he's relatively green and may have more upside in Dante's eyes than we know. At 6'4"+/316, he also seems built a bit stouter than Koppen and Wendell - he's probably about the same size as Konz, a bit taller than Ben Jones and a bit heftier than Brewster.

But both Connolly and Wendell have been around for awhile, so, if they're not up to Koppen's level in run-blocking up the gut by this point, perhaps they aren't destined to get there. Both Connolly and Wendell are UFA, AFAIK, as is Koppen. I think it's entirely possible that Connolly gets offered a disproportionately large contract to start elsewhere, so I'm leaning toward the OC/OG ranks being thinned by him leaving. There may even be a better chance that Koppen sticks for one more contract.

Leaving aside, for the moment, potential constraints regarding blocking-scheme differences (Dante apparently runs a significantly different scheme than what Wisconsin does and I don't know about Ohio State and Georgia) . . .

Konz, based on scouting write-ups, seems like the best prospective overall addition to the group, BUT - I, too, am not thrilled with the possibility that the Pats might have to spend a first-rounder to get him. After all, Dante has done pretty damn well for the OC position with a 5th-rounder (Koppen) and 3 UDFAs. Also - and I do NOT intend to start some Dowling-like mythology about Konz being "injury prone" - Konz apparently has had some chronic ankle issues (which, could, of course, also drop him into the 2nd round).

Jones is rated as a somewhat more solid OC prospect than Brewster by NFP, although, from what I've read, Jones has played mostly OG, so Center would represent a position change for him. If he's successful, OG/OC versatility would be a major plus, though I'd want to wait until I read reports rating his transition from observers at his all-star game practices. Another factor, though, is that BB/Dante might not be keen on spending even a (currently projected) 2nd/3rd-round pick under such circumstances. They might be just as happy with someone like, say, OG/OT Kelvin Beachum (6'3"/306, Southern Methodist) in the 4th round or later if they're going to take a "transition" player. Bunting give Beachum a nice report and we may get a chance to see him in the Shrine Game.

Brewster, then, seems a very acceptable selection - smart/aware, technically very sound, sufficiently athletic, good size/strength and currently projected as a late-2nd to late-3rd.

Assuming that BB doesn't finish draft weekend having made only six selections, there may be some "high-value options" beyond Konz.

Unless I'm mistaken, Jones has played exclusively ~ or virtually so ~ at Center for Georgia...Could you be thinking of Brother Wilfork's Barrett Jones, the Guard who moonlights as a Tackle??

Ben Jones has the perfect build for the job, and commands exceptional Launch Velocity, as well as superior anchoring Strength and decent Power...Furthermore, he's proven to be durable, and is extremely battle tested, having banged heads with the DT's of the SEC for the last 4 years...I'm on the fence as to whether'r not I'd pull the trigger on'm in the late 2nd...Should he drop to the mid 3rd, I'd be all over'm.

Mike Brewster, I've cooled on. I still see'm as a solid Center, but "solid" holds no interest for me at this position that is absolutely critical to our Championship Quest.

As a Center, Peter Konz should make an excellent Guard. Pass.

Honestly, I don't think very highly of this crop of Centers, nor last year's. I'd rather replace Koppen sooner rather than later, but the position is so important to me ~ #3 on the entire roster, in my book, perhaps even #2 ~ that I'd rather not take half measures: I would prefer our next move at Center be to draft an elite Prospect, which is why I was so fervent about the too-tall yet athletically freakish and dominant Marquis de Pouncey, 2 years ago...The problem is that I don't see any "elite" Center prospect in this year's class, nor do I have the eye to discern any in the pipeline...So I may well end up advocating for Ben Jones, as I do find his arsenal a pretty damned impressive one...and who better to elevate this guy's game to the next level then Dante the Great?? :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back