PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Ball Pro Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ball will be drafted late but I don't think by the Patriots. He will stick with a team and become a very good posession reciever.

Now, the one from UNH that I'd like to see the Patriots take is Corey Graham. He will make it either as a CB or FS and be a solid starter by his second or third year, maybe sooner.

Ball will be drafted late but I don't think by the Patriots. He will stick with a team and become a very good posession reciever.

Now, the one from UNH that I'd like to see the Patriots take is Corey Graham. He will make it either as a CB or FS and be a solid starter by his second or third year, maybe sooner.

Any reason why? Or just going on a hunch?

If we're going local defensive products Daren Stone is your man. I think he's a no brainer and will develop into a very good SS, in the right system.

Last edited:
If we're going local defensive products Daren Stone is your man. I think he's a no brainer and will develop into a very good SS, in the right system.

Right, Stone is a guy that I would grab in the 6th. With Graham and Stone, we would have 2 good safety prospects, one at FS and the other at SS.

Any reason why? Or just going on a hunch?

I just don't see the Patriots going for a posession type reciever this year. Before teh FA signings , I was hot on Gonzales. I think of they go for one it will be a roll of the dice for a "red zone' type or a burner.

David Ball= football savy
the kid just plays the game
hes the kinda guy that would line up at safty and corner
then come out and jump on special teams
5th round pick would be ok
say what you want about his speed
bethel johnson ran faster than super man
he was a bust

he prob is the best route runner in this draft besides c. taylor from aub tigers
i would love to have him on my team

say what you want about his speed
bethel johnson ran faster than super man
he was a bust
So what? Are you trying to say that speed is not important for a WR? It is very very important, second only to ability to catch the ball.

Bethel was not a bust because he was fast. It takes more than speed. But that doesn't take anything from the fact that one of the major determiners of a WRs success is still speed, and that running a 4.7 40 will never get a WR to elite levels.

I like Ball, but his slowness is a big negative, and with all Bethel's faults, in the end Bethel Johnson's career is still likely to be more successful that David Ball's, who is probably the next Chas Gessner..

I like Ball, but his slowness is a big negative, and with all Bethel's faults, in the end Bethel Johnson's career is still likely to be more successful that David Ball's, who is probably the next Chas Gessner..

Gessner, ouch! Yes, speed will be an issue for Ball. But those quickness numbers are exceptional for a guy who stands 6'1" 196. Compare to the following WR:

5'8" 195
40: 4.65
Vert: 30"
Broad: 9'5"
Shuttle: 4.01
Cone: 7.09

The quickness numbers are the only thing on that list that looks like an NFL receiver, and yet Wes Welker has done just fine.

Everybody knew that Ball would run a lousy 40, but I can't imagine everybody anticipated those change-of-direction scores. So I think I'm with SeanBruschi54 on this -- Ball's pro day performance may well have helped him rather than hurt him.

From GBN Report:

Think those 40 times will scare most teams off?

Nope. I think he will be a 4th/5th rounder. His 3 cone and shuttle are amazing. Which means that he will make the breaks he needs to get open.

He'll be a possession receiver.

Nope. I think he will be a 4th/5th rounder. His 3 cone and shuttle are amazing. Which means that he will make the breaks he needs to get open.

He'll be a possession receiver.

...just not for the Patriots.

I think they will take a run at him if he has value espcally if he falls the the early 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes