PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Tyms Pro Day Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just seems to ooze poise and talent. It's hard to believe that, based on what we've seen, he hasn't stuck somewhere else.

I hope its just a delayed case of putting it all together. I just have confidence that he can do well against anyone, how aggressive he is going after the ball is a rare trait, and when you combine that with 6'3" and a 4.4x you have some good potential.

I think he'll be good at contested balls against any DB, he doesn't seem like he really needs to be open, he'll just fight for it, and apparently win, at least so far.

He just seems to ooze poise and talent. It's hard to believe that, based on what we've seen, he hasn't stuck somewhere else.

I hope its just a delayed case of putting it all together. I just have confidence that he can do well against anyone, how aggressive he is going after the ball is a rare trait, and when you combine that with 6'3" and a 4.4x you have some good potential.

I think he'll be good at contested balls against any DB, he doesn't seem like he really needs to be open, he'll just fight for it, and apparently win, at least so far.

What we don't know is if this is one of those players who can dominate against guys who are good enough to get to a camp but not good enough to play in the league. There are tons and tons of those guys and they do tend to have a track record that looks like his.
Not saying it is the case, but it is certainly possible.

BTW - his idol is Randy Moss

Moss helped mentor Tyms in San Francisco for a season.

BTW - his idol is Randy Moss

Moss helped mentor Tyms in San Francisco for a season.
Yeah I read that as well. Explains the TD celebration he does. Moss, with all his faults, I could see him as a good mentor. Tyms also played with Josh Gordon in Cleveland, hopefully some of Gordon's GOOD qualities rubbed off on him.

I'd like to see Brady throwing to him.

What are the chances next preseason game Tyms will be out there with the 1st team?

Also, Brady isn't throwing to him in training camp/practice, is he?

I'd like to see Brady throwing to him.

What are the chances next preseason game Tyms will be out there with the 1st team?

Also, Brady isn't throwing to him in training camp/practice, is he?

I remember reading something in the last week about Brady throwing to Tyms, I don't recall if it was complete or not, but he's at least has some reps with Brady. I'd really like to see him get some chances against a starting defense next week.

Having 3 6'3 guys isn't a bad thing, as long as they can use their size to get open. It's not like we're sacrificing shifty guys who use quickness to get open, we'd only be sacrificing Boyce, who may look like a flash of lightning on the track, but wearing pads he looks like he's chained to cinderblocks.

Edit: And i'm really tired of that gif of him juking a cleveland scrub out of his shoes.

Tyms and Boyce should start the next game with Brady. Every other WR is making the team, so its really between those 2 for the last spot. Sink or Swim. So far Tyms is swimming, Boyce just looks like he's treading water.

dobson, tyms, lafell, thompkins, edelman, amendola.....plus a healthy gronk, god willing......this group has potential

When a movie is made about him, will be called "Against all Odds II.".. pretty remarkable story for kids who are usually considered to be throwaways in society, remember a story about how he was abused in foster care as well.

Every year there is that one UDFA that we found or has been drifting around the NFL and this year there seems to be two(Butler)... it is all good that this team so deep in talent continues to find these "diamonds"... hope he makes it and hope he is an inspiration for an oft maligned group of kids.

As much as I've been impressed with him, I'm not sure how the numbers fit. He's not an inside receiver and neither are Dobson, Lafell and Thompkins. Edelman can play all over the place and Amendola is mostly an inside guy. Boyce can play inside and outside but hasn't performed up to Tyms level but the comparison is irrelevant I think. Tyms is really competing for a spot with the first 3 I mention.

I have maintained from the begining of OTAs that receiver was last years problem. It is on its way to a strength. It also is helping to resolve an alternative to the TE [ non] 'Problem'.

As much as I've been impressed with him, I'm not sure how the numbers fit. He's not an inside receiver and neither are Dobson, Lafell and Thompkins. Edelman can play all over the place and Amendola is mostly an inside guy. Boyce can play inside and outside but hasn't performed up to Tyms level but the comparison is irrelevant I think. Tyms is really competing for a spot with the first 3 I mention.

That being said, don't think there's any question he doesn't make the roster since he doesn't count against it for the first four games, and who knows what injuries might happen between now and then; Amendola anyone? Oops.. Uh oh, I just jinxed him. I'll go stand in the corner now.

His numbers are awfully good, similar to Thompkins, competitive with Watkins. The thing that sets him apart is his VJ of 39.5. Watkins' was 34, Thompkins' 33.5. Dobson was 35.

I have no idea where he'll go from here but athletically he's the real deal.

Things look tough for him right now, because of the three outside guys competing with him, two look pretty good and seem to be on a good page with Brady (LaFell and Thompkins) and the other (Dobson) is likely to be given a real chance once he's healthy. Tyms is helped by the fact that he can be carried for four weeks without a roster spot, but really he's depending on one of the following happening in those four weeks:

1) One of the players who looks good now doesn't translate to the regular season
2) One of those outside receivers gets hurt enough to go on IR, freeing up their spot.

I'm not even sure that Edelman or Amendola getting hurt would help, as I don't view him as a replacement for an inside receiver. Maybe LaFell kicks inside and Tyms gets snaps that way, but it's a lot of moving parts needed for him to get his real opportunity.

I'm rooting for the kid, he has intriguing talent, but a lot's going to have to go right for him, AND he's going to have to continue improving against better competition. We'll see.

It would be interesting to hear from any Dolphins, Browns, 49ers fans as to why he was cut from those teams.

I would chalk that up to a combination to the guys playing in first of him entrenched in their roles as well as sure he had athletic ability but he wasn't refined.

I would say that not all teams are as willing as the Pats and Hawks to let undrafted free agents have a equal shot as a spot as the more decorated player would get the nod.

Tyms coming here or Seattle would be the best thing to happen to his career.

Now you also need to look at the facts that this man has been cut and cut and cut so alot of guys would quit but he has just worked harder and wanted it more.

This is the kind of player Belichick loves and it's going to be very hard for him to be unseated.

In all honesty you have to give a nod to our coaching staff because they have really molded these unheralded players Thompkins and Tyms.

Hats need to go off to them as well as the player himself.

The first day Tyms hit the practice field with us I remember a reporter saying he looked like he belonged and I truly believe he does and he will make the most out of his opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back