PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Pires 1956 - 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked Dan Pires. One of those guys who genuinely seemed to do it for the love of the game.

RIP that man.

An update (as reported by SouthCoastToday.com):

"Dan had taken off some weight over the past year and was looking quite fit and trim in recent months. He was found unresponsive at the Dartmouth Middle School track this morning, according to Dartmouth police, who said a passerby who administered CPR was unable to revive him.

Police do not suspect foul play."

This just makes it even more tragic...I'm speechless.

Ian

Wow how horrible. Certainly puts sports in perspective. RIP and best wishes to his family.

Last edited:
Yes...that is so so sad....I have seen him chatting with MrsB a great deal..and I KNOW others as well knew him. VERY sad...Although I never met him...I did enjoy his writing...Why is it the good guys usually go down like this. Condolences to his family.

Yes... very, very sad. I still can't believe that this is true. Dan would stop and talk to me every day at camp and was not only a great reporter but a "regular guy" and Pats fan as well. I'll miss his smile and chatting about the Pats. My heart aches for his family. Camp will not be the same....

I am still struggling to wrap my mind around this -- Danny and I spoke, or emailed, or texted nearly every day, and often more than once a day, and in fact had exchanged texts and spoke just yesterday. He was one of my best friends, and a friend to many of the other reporters as well as several Patriots present and past.

He indeed had lost over 50 pounds in the last year-plus, determining to get into better shape after Alan Greenberg passed, also far too soon. Danny didn't want to die in the same way, and it breaks my heart to know that he did.

My days covering the Patriots will never be the same.

shalise

Just takin' time out to say I love U, because yesterday is gone, today is almost over and tomorrow isn't promised.
-- from a text Danny sent to many of his friends, June 19

Last edited:
He had some good inside sources.. gone too too soon..

Sorry to hear that,RIP.

I am very sorry to hear this. Prayers to his family and friends alike.

Gone too soon, our condolences to his young family and friends.

That's awful. You really never know, I guess. My condolences.

Just takin' time out to say I love U, because yesterday is gone, today is almost over and tomorrow isn't promised.

Wow Shalise! If that doesn't give you chills nothing will. June 19th? Wow!

Sympathies to Dan's family and friends.

Dan was one of a kind.

I met him through our mutual love of futbol, rather than football. On my first day writing about the New England Revolution, Dan was the first person who introduced himself to me. He showed me around the stadium (...I had never been there), and he introduced me to pretty much everyone he knew, and I think he knew just about everyone. In short, he took a lot more time to help out the new guy than he really had to.

To this day, I don't know anyone who has a bad thing to say about Danizinho as we on the soccer beat called him. Always had a joke or a funny story to share, and he was as down to Earth as they come.

Just a great, great guy who's gone far too soon. Hearing the news today literally took my breath away. Even now, I still feel sick to my stomach.

Last edited:
RIP Dan ... my prayers and sympathy to his family and friends.

Thanks for sharing your writing with us Patriot's fans Dan.

Just got in a few minutes ago and saw this news about Dan.

Like a punch to the stomach. Never knew him, but had e-mailed him a few years ago with compliments on his writings - he e-mailed me back and was very humble and appreciative. Seemed like a very well-grounded person.

My sincere best wishes to his family.

Last edited:

That is incredible.

RIP Dan... condolences to family and friends.

Wow Shalise! If that doesn't give you chills nothing will. June 19th? Wow!

Sympathies to Dan's family and friends.

It is eerie...I guess some part of him knew, and he made sure to tell us his feelings.

So sad for so many reasons. Sigh.

An update (as reported by SouthCoastToday.com):

"Dan had taken off some weight over the past year and was looking quite fit and trim in recent months. He was found unresponsive at the Dartmouth Middle School track this morning, according to Dartmouth police, who said a passerby who administered CPR was unable to revive him.

Police do not suspect foul play."

This just makes it even more tragic...I'm speechless.

Ian

This is just so sad. :(

Wow that hurts. And so young, my condolences to the family.

A sincerely good guy. I actually had some pretty lively debates with him at the Planet. He could certainly take some criticism and hold his end, he was no phony.

That's just awful news. God Bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back