PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dan Pires 1956 - 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hundreds attend wake for Dan Pires on Sunday

By Curt Brown
Standard-Times staff writer
June 30, 2008 6:00 AM
NEW BEDFORD — Dan Pires, who died unexpectedly last week at the age of 52, was remembered Sunday for his love of family, insightful newspaper writing and the care and respect he showed for one and all.

Mr. Pires collapsed June 25 on the track at the Dartmouth Middle School. He died at St. Luke's Hospital.

Hundreds of family and friends paid their respects at the Saunders-Dwyer Home for Funerals well into the evening on Sunday. The line extended about a hundred feet out the front door of the funeral home.

A Mass will be held at noon today in St. Lawrence Church, 565 County St. Burial will be private.

"It just goes to show that there are all kinds of ways to be rich in this world and Danny was a rich man," said Bob Unger, editor of The Standard-Times, noting the huge turnout for Mr. Pires' wake.

Mr. Pires covered the New England Patriots for more than a decade for the newspaper.

Family and friends later spoke of the respect people from all walks of life had for the soft-spoken family man.

Mike Valeri, a staff photographer with The Standard-Times, recalled an incident when he and Mr. Pires were covering the Patriots that was indicative of his huge popularity.

Mr. Valeri said he was trying to take a photo of one of the Patriots' players, who was busy working on a laptop computer. The player signaled to him that he did not want his photo taken.

He relented, however, and allowed the photo to be taken when he realized Mr. Pires, who was seated next to him, knew Mr. Valeri.

"You're a friend of Dan? O.K., you can take my picture."

Marie Alves, a cousin of Mr. Pires, said he was all about family.

"Every family has an anchor and that was Danny. He kept family alive and that's hard to do."

Kristen Manley and her sister, Dana, of Warwick, R.I., who worked at the Credit Information Bureau in Warwick, where Mr. Pires was the manager, attended the wake.

"He was more like a friend than a boss," Dana Manley said. "He was always telling stories and always had a joke."

"He always asked about everyone's families," her sister said.

They were joined at the wake by their father, Mike Manley, who was friends for many years with Mr. Pires and shared a love of sports with him.

Several of those who attended the wake expressed that they could not believe that Mr. Pires, his death so sudden, had passed away.

"It's a shock," said cousin John Alves.

He had just recently seen him and complimented him on his weight loss.

In the past 14 months, Mr. Pires had taken up a regular exercise regimen and lost 40 pounds.

"I told him, 'You look good. Keep it up.'"

Three hours after the start of visiting hours, the line still extended well outside the entrance of the funeral home, and visitors continued to pay their respects till 9 p.m.

"This is his Super Bowl right here," said cousin Evan Lessa. "He was this important to us."

"To him, there was no separation between family and friends," said John Baptista, another cousin of Mr. Pires.

They talked about vast knowledge Mr. Pires possessed regarding the Patriots.

Mr. Lessa remembered getting a behind-the-scenes account of Randy Moss' trade to the Patriots.

"That was ESPN right there. That is the man," he said.

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080630/NEWS/806300330

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 115
Funeral from the Saunders-Dwyer Home for Funerals, 495 Park St., New Bedford, Monday, June 30th at 10:45 AM. Funeral Mass at St. Lawrence Church at 12 Noon. Burial will be private. Visiting hours Sunday, June 29th from 3-8 PM.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to CIB/ Pires Education Fund, c/o Credit Information Bureau, 70 Jefferson Blvd., Warwick, RI 02888.

Directions to Our New Bedford Location

From Boston: Travel Route 24 South to Exit 12, Route 140 toward Taunton and New Bedford. At the end of the ramp, turn right onto Route 140 south toward New Bedford. Travel approximately 20 miles to the traffic signal at the end of Route 140. Turn left onto U.S. Highway 6 East. Continue 1 mile to Park Street. Turn left (north) onto Park Street and continue to its end. The funeral home is the last building on the left (west) side of the street, approximately 60 miles from Boston.

From Providence: Travel I-195 East to Exit 13A, Route 140 South toward New Bedford. Travel South approximately 1 mile to traffic signal at the end of Route 140. Turn left onto U.S. Highway 6 East. Continue 1 mile to Park Street. Turn left (north) onto Park Street and continue to its end. The funeral home is the last building on the left (west) side of the street.

From Cape Cod: Travel I-195 West to Exit 13A, Route 140 South toward New Bedford and Dartmouth. Travel south approximately 1 mile to traffic signal at the end of Route 140. Turn left onto U.S. Highway 6 East. Continue 1 mile to Park Street. Turn left (north) onto Park Street and continue to its end. The funeral home is the last building on the left (west) side of the street.
Thanks for this info Ras. I understand that Bill Belichick attended the service.

There was an updated piece added this morning:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080626/NEWS/806260337

The last part regarding a post written by Dan when Alan Greenberg died (another really nice guy) just really makes you think.....it's just unbelievable. I'm sure he never imagined that being 25-30 was middle aged...definitely makes me appreciate things a little more. Needless to say the words at the end of what he wrote are good words to live by :(

Ian
What a sad thing to happen.

I can't think of a better thing to say after reading all of the loving remarks except:

I am jealous that I did not KNOW him.

Wow. I talked to him on the phone once, and he sounded a lot younger than that.

Definitely a good guy -- notwithstanding that we were butting heads on the call. ;)

He was also a member here at the forum, so we also lost one of our own:

Ian

Are you allowed to tell us what Mr. Pires's username was here at the forum? If not I understand....

Are you allowed to tell us what Mr. Pires's username was here at the forum? If not I understand....
Almost hating to state the obvious it was :

Dan Pires

He didn't post much but at least he didn't hide behind some other name. He posted more on PatriotPlanet.

i never knew the man, nevertheless rest in peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back