PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D-Line, not Secondary, the Primary Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am i crazy for thinking bill should bring back romeo crennel after he gets fired?

Romoe and bill brought out the best in each other just like he had with parcells.

More pressure up front always helps - but the fact is that the secondary has blown tackles and lets guys get far too open.

Getting Gregory back will help, especially as he continues to heal

But Talib will be huge in largely taking the other team's #1 WR out of the picture.

They'll be fine. They went to the Super Bowl with nearly as shaky a secondary last year too.

Last edited:
The line looked tired late yesterday. somebody's got to talk to Wilfork, I read they sent Deaderick in for him and he sent him back. Love ya Vince, but you're not superman and everyone that size needs a blow. Also, Deaderick was pretty effective rushing from tackle last year, we need something there.

More pressure up front always helps - but the fact is that the secondary has blown tackles and lets guys get far too open.

Getting Gregory back will help, especially as he continues to heal

But Talib will be huge in largely taking the other team's #1 WR out of the picture.

They'll be fine. They went to the Super Bowl with nearly as shaky a secondary last year too.

That super run last year shouldn't be a positive. The patriots faced a qb who couldn't throw in the first game and basically gave up 2 game winning drives.

The DL's problem yesterday wasnt the rush, it was the backs. Jackson and Spiller are good backs and Spiller has crazy outside speed. Once he is outside he was a problem all day. So the LB's start cheating up opening up the middle for the TE. It was one of those games, every team has them, it is luck for us that we have TB to cover up days like this.

That super run last year shouldn't be a positive. The patriots faced a qb who couldn't throw in the first game and basically gave up 2 game winning drives.

Making the SB shouldn't be a positive? Wow....

Even though they gave up those drives at the end of the games, the defense looked pretty competent compared with their performances during all regular season. I think we'd all be happy if our defense can reach that level from now on.

Making the SB shouldn't be a positive? Wow....

Facing tebow was a lucky draw for the patriots and flacco drove his team down the field with ease on the final drive just like eli did the next game.

That's why it's not really a positive when the defense blew it.

Last edited:
The thing I would like to see more of is letting Spikes be aggressive and shoot gaps. He is fantastic at it and there is little more demoralizing to an offense then your RB getting blown up as he is getting the hand off. Pressure right up the middle messes with every QB in the league. So Spikes is a little slow, don't make him cover, tell him to cause pain in the backfield. Use Wilfork and Love to open lanes for Spikes seeing as they are not particularlly effective passrushers either.

Anybody here think the playcalling is the issue moreso than the guys on the field? I'm beginning to think that the 'bend don't break' mentality is the big issue. I think that we need to see more aggressive playcalling. I think opponents are willing to take the risk that there is not going to be a blitz because it rarely happens when the Patriots have the lead in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes