PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

D & C locked out of WEEI, might be an opportunity for a Pats Apologist...

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to quit whining about this issue... From day 1, they have billed themselves as "Guy Talk Radio." They have openly stated they will talk sports, as well as news issues of the day. That's the format of the show. Period. All too often this criticism comes from people who just don't align politically.

To quote Mike Tyson: "If you don't like it, change the channel."

LOL. Too often the praise comes from people who DO align politically. I don't like hearing politics on sports radio, left or right.

As for "changing the channel", I would, but there are very little other sports talk options in this area. From my perspective, those that like Callahan's political rants should just turn the dial to 680. The channel should conform to the audience, not the other way around.

If someone could show some clear evidence that the politics on D&C is good for business and not just the self indulgent rantings of one politically charged man, then fine, your point would have validity.

LOL. Too often the praise comes from people who DO align politically. I don't like hearing politics on sports radio, left or right.

As for "changing the channel", I would, but there are very little other sports talk options in this area.
Well then I guess we'll just have to live with the idea that we can't get sports talk 24/7/365...
If someone could show some clear evidence that the politics on D&C is good for business and not just the self indulgent rantings of one politically charged man, then fine, your point would have validity.
I think the fact that they are allowed to do it clearly implies people "in the know" believe it is good for ratings. Believe you me, those people study these sorts of things quite intently. If WEEI's producers thought the political nonsense was hurting ratings, they'd put the kibosh on it right away.

I think the fact that they are allowed to do it clearly implies people "in the know" believe it is good for ratings. Believe you me, those people study these sorts of things quite intently. If WEEI's producers thought the political nonsense was hurting ratings, they'd put the kibosh on it right away.

Isn't this entire discussion based on the premise that it seems WEEI and D&C have a different opinion on their worth? To me, what signals that D&C's politics isn't necessarily a welcome thing with producers is that anytime there is a sub on the show - and the last few months, that has been pretty much every day - there is literally zero political talk. I don't think there has been a single minute of politics since Callahan left. Don't mistake this for glee that Callahan is gone as I certainly hope that there is no truth to the rumors that Callahan's sickness is more serious than once thought and hopefully his absence is non-health related (contract related).

Last edited:
Isn't this entire discussion based on the premise that it seems WEEI and D&C have a different opinion on their worth? To me, what signals that D&C's politics isn't necessarily a welcome thing with producers is that anytime there is a sub on the show - and the last few months, that has been pretty much every day - there is literally zero political talk. I don't think there has been a single minute of politics since Callahan left. Don't mistake this for glee that Callahan is gone as I certainly hope that there is no truth to the rumors that Callahan's sickness is more serious than once thought and hopefully his absence is non-health related (contract related).

It's a contract negotiation. Brady and the Patriots had one of those, too, you know.

It's a contract negotiation. Brady and the Patriots had one of those, too, you know.

FYI: Today's Globe stated that D&C were "told not to come back" by EEI and may be moving to 99.5 (currently classical, considering moving to all sports).

So, it's not just a contract negotiation, it appears reports that EEI is parting ways with (or firing, depending on how you look at it) D&C appear accurate.

The good news here is that we'd have another sports talk station in this area, which would be great. The even better news is that it seems to suggest that rumors that Callahan's health issues were more serious than thought are unlikely to be true - as it seems he is perfectly healthy enough to get back to work with Dennis, albeit on a different station. So, whether you love or hate Callahan's politics, it's certainly nice to hear he will be back on the air and that presumambly he is in good health. Granted, I'm making some assumptions there.

Last edited:
Isn't this entire discussion based on the premise that it seems WEEI and D&C have a different opinion on their worth?
Well, they are in a contract dispute, yes. But you're making it sound like D&C started doing politics in May '07 and were both off the air within weeks. They've been doing the politics thing for years and years, so obviously it is met with some approval by the higher ups.
To me, what signals that D&C's politics isn't necessarily a welcome thing with producers is that anytime there is a sub on the show - and the last few months, that has been pretty much every day - there is literally zero political talk. I don't think there has been a single minute of politics since Callahan left.
You're joking, right..? You must not listen to much WEEI in the morning... Steve DeOssie has done some rants that make Callahan seem like a calm, cool, collected, and level headed columnist.

FYI: Today's Globe stated that D&C were "told not to come back" by EEI and may be moving to 99.5 (currently classical, considering moving to all sports).

So, it's not just a contract negotiation, it appears reports that EEI is parting ways with (or firing, depending on how you look at it) D&C appear accurate.
Well, last year at this time it looked like the Red Sox were leaving Entercom too. Until something official is announced, everything is up in the air and anything could happen. Plus here we have the added variable of Callahan's health, which no one seems to know how serious it is or isn't.

Last edited:
Well, last year at this time it looked like the Red Sox were leaving Entercom too. Until something official is announced, everything is up in the air and anything could happen. Plus here we have the added variable of Callahan's health, which no one seems to know how serious it is or isn't.

Not sure about the Callahan's health angle, as it is rumored that he had throat cancer, would be pretty hypocritical if this was an issue in light of the ongoing Jimmy Fund Telethon.. imo it is all about the money.. and unless they sign they are gone.

Last edited:
Well, they are in a contract dispute, yes. But you're making it sound like D&C started doing politics in May '07 and were both off the air within weeks. They've been doing the politics thing for years and years, so obviously it is met with some approval by the higher ups.

But with Callahan off recently, and the lack of politics on the show since then, perhaps the higher ups have had a chance to see that the show can exist without daily political discussions.

You're joking, right..? You must not listen to much WEEI in the morning... Steve DeOssie has done some rants that make Callahan seem like a calm, cool, collected, and level headed columnist.

I listen to EEI every morning and afternoon. Radio sucks, and I have no iPod, so EEI is my only and best option. While DeOssie has similar political views to Callahan, he offers them up much, much less frequently, and his rants are normally sports related. On top of that, his rants are entertaining, ie, his verbal beatdown of Dakota. I have nothing against rants...I just don't like having my entire 45 minute commute consumed with Dennis & Callahan talking nothing but politics...which happened far too often.

Last edited:
isn't it the job of a sports talk station to talk sports?

Not in morning drive, ever since the first big all-sports station in the country, WFAN in New York, hired Imus. He made enough money to pay for the rest of the (at the time) money-losing operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back