PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Current Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiianPatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
What list of current free agents would you like to see the team sign? This can be for the full season, training camp & the 90 man roster, or even the likes of UDFA's that you think would be good candidates for the practice squad.

Just trying to come up with something besides more deflated ball BS.

There are really only a few guys that I'd be interested in right now, and all three of them are long shots who have some type of mystery or ailment surrounding them. That said, for the right price any of the three could contribute to the 2015 squad.

OL---Jake Long

OL---Evan Mathis

DL---Red Bryant

There are really only a few guys that I'd be interested in right now, and all three of them are long shots who have some type of mystery or ailment surrounding them. That said, for the right price any of the three could contribute to the 2015 squad.

OL---Jake Long

OL---Evan Mathis

DL---Red Bryant

I'm not a big fan of Long at this point, since his body is basically held together with duct tape. Either of the other two are definitely intriguing, though. Considering that Mathis is a FA because he wasn't willing to play for what the Eagles were paying him, though, he's probably not in the cards for us. Unfortunate, too, since he would be a significant immediate upgrade to the OL.

I'm not a big fan of Long at this point, since his body is basically held together with duct tape. Either of the other two are definitely intriguing, though. Considering that Mathis is a FA because he wasn't willing to play for what the Eagles were paying him, though, he's probably not in the cards for us. Unfortunate, too, since he would be a significant immediate upgrade to the OL.

Yeah, Bryant is still a decent run stuffing big body, and would likely come on a cheap(er) type of deal. I'm a bit surprised to see him go unclaimed for such a length of time.

Mathis has always seemed like a pipe dream for the reasons you've mentioned. People have brought up the prospect of him wanting to play for a contender for less money, but I have my doubts.

Mathis is only still a FA because his asking price is too high.

OL---Jake Long

OL---Evan Mathis

DL---Red Bryant

I read a piece on NEPatriotsdraft.com where it was talking about a possible surprise, Belichick veteran trade candidate being Sebastian Vollmer. If this were the case, I think Jake long would be a good insurance policy.

I would love to have Mathis, I think everyone would. He would be perfect to have while we groom our 2 new guards. Obviously it would have to be at the right price. I wouldn't want him if it affected our ability to re-sign Hightower and possibly Jones. I do think it would greatly help us in our division, and also at a shot at repeating.

As far as running backs go, I would love to have Ahmad Bradshaw. If he could stay healthy, he would easily be the best overall back on our team. I think with the way we use a RBBC approach, he would make a great fit for the team, he might just be able to stay healthy for once. I still can't believe he hasn't been signed by a team yet, when healthy, he is easily a top 15 back in this league. To me, that upside alone makes him a good candidate.

For WR's, I wouldn't mind seeing James Jones get a shot. I still think he has a little left in the tank, and could still put up Lafell like numbers if reunited with an elite QB like his time in GB. He didn't have a really bad year last year on the raiders despite being their #1 WR, which at this point in his career he is much better suited as a #2. If either Edelman or Lafell were to go down at any point in the season, I think he would probably fill in fairly nicely.

My last dark horse is Colt Lyerla. Ive always had a pipe dream of the team giving him a shot, and pairing him up with Gronk. I know he's had his issues, but the mistakes he made aren't on the level where I don't think he deserves at least one more shot in the NFL. I read a article where he said he's been training and plans on giving the NFL one more shot this coming season. His athletic upside and versatility alone, make him a candidate for the Practice squad. Give the man a chance!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference