PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Current Depth Chart

Patriots Roster Reaction 2013

While not official until the team announces it tonight at 6pm, and the roster being very much in flux until at least Tuesday, the Patriots have cut down to 53 players, and we have reports on who those players were. Using those reports, we can conclude that the initial roster for the Patriots entering 2013 is as follows:

QB: Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett
RB: LeGarrette Blount, Brandon Bolden, Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Leon Washington
FB: James Develin
WR: Danny Amendola, Josh Boyce, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Mark Harrison (NFI), Matthew Slater, Kenbrell Thompkins
TE: Rob Gronkowski, Michael Hoomanawanui, Zach Sudeld
OL: Marcus Cannon, Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins, Chris McDonald, Nate Solder, Will Svitek, Sebastian Vollmer, Ryan Wendell

DE: Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanan, Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich
DT: Armond Armstead (NFI), Tommy Kelly, Joe Vellano, Vince Wilfork
LB: Steve Beauharnais, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Dont'a Hightower, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Jeff Tarpinian
CB: Kyle Arrington, Marquice Cole, Alfonzo Dennard, Logan Ryan, Aqib Talib
S: Nate Ebner, Steve Gregory, Duron Harmon, Devin McCourty, Adrian Wilson, Tavon Wilson

K: Stephen Gostkowski
P: Ryan Allen
LS: Danny Aiken

A few thoughts...

* In the end, it seems that Tim Tebow's character and potential didn't shine enough to outweigh his play on the field. He's a great guy and I wish him all the best, but he simply isn't NFL QB material.

* Despite rumblings, both Bolden and Washington make the team... for now. Additionally, James Develin makes it as a FB/H-Back hybrid, similar to Hooman. 6 RBs is a lot, so I have to wonder if someone will be shipped out / shut down due to health.

* The Wide Receivers are as we expected them to be. The top 3 will likely consist of Amendola, Thompkins and Edelman, with Dobson and Boyce sprinkled in accordingly as they continue to develop. They just aren't as game ready as the other 3, which isn't a knock on their potential whatsoever.

* Tight End is a big question mark. Gronkowski could return in weeks 3-6, but until then Sudfeld and Hooman are left to carry the load. That's not going to cut it. I fully expect a veteran addition in the coming days. Perhaps a Clay Harbor or Tony Moeaki

* The Offensive Line #1-7 is solid, though the #8 spot held by Chris McDonald is tenuous. I wonder if a veteran becomes available will McDonald be let go.

* Defensive End was a surprise to me, as the projected #3,4 and 5 ends were all released. Bequette and Buchanan flashed in game #4, and the staff must feel comfortable with their ability as backups. Ninkovich and Jones are not leaving the field unless injury hits. I still think a veteran addition here would help.

* Defensive Tackle is another question on this roster. Wilfork and Kelly can be a dominant tandem, but Vellano is not adequate depth by any stretch. In my opinion, he is best suited for practice squad. I fully expect the team to add a veteran or two.

* There are currently 7 bodies at linebacker, and the thought here is that it at least 1 too many. If additions are made, one of Tarpinian or Beauharnais could be let go. Otherwise, this is the strongest and deepest position on the defense.

* The ideal top 3 at Cornerback would be Talib, Dennard and Arrington, but Dennard's status could be in question in the coming days, which will likely put Arrington in a starting role to start the season. This group is a little better than what it has been in previous years because of Talib, but it's still a very thin and unreliable group. A veteran could be added if Dennard is jailed or suspended.

* 6 Safetys is a lot for an NFL roster, and there are rumblings that Adrian Wilson is dealing with a hamstring injury. He could be IRd, kept, or released. Something to keep an eye on. Ebner is a good special teamer but otherwise contributes nothing. Same for Tavon Wilson. This group needed to improve from last year and it hasn't unless you count McCourty changing positions. This could be a liability.

* The big surprise on special teams is Allen beating out Mesko. Both are talented, and only time will tell on if this was the right move.

Re: 3PM Roster

I have included Morris since I have seen not seen him on any cut lists. He should be gone by 4 PM.

We have the obvious need to add an OG/C and a DT.

3PM 53 MAN ROSTER

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (6) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Washington, Bolden, Develin
WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater
TE (3) Sudfeld, Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
C (1) Wendell
G (3) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon
T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Bequette, Buchanan
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Vellano
ILB(4) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais, Tarpinian
OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (6) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Cole, Ryan, Morris
SS (3) Wilson, Wilson, Ebner
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon
ST (2) Gostkowski, Mesko = Allen

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2013

In the grand scheme of things, I don't see any improvements from last year in our secondary... <sigh>

Re: 3PM Roster

Please feel free to correct.

53 MAN ROSTER (4PM SAT)

QB (2) Brady, Mallett
RB (6) Ridley, Vereen, Blount, Washington, Bolden, Develin
WR (6) Amendola, Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Edelman, Slater
TE (3) Sudfeld, Gronkowski, Hoomanawanui
C (1) Wendell
G (4) Mankins, Connolly, Cannon, McDonald
T (3) Vollmer, Solder, Svitek
DE (4) Jones, Ninkovich, Bequette, Buchanan
DT (4) Wilfork, Kelly, Forston, Vellano
ILB(4) Spikes, Fletcher, Beauharnais, Tarpinian
OLB(3) Mayo, Hightower, Collins
CB (5) Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Cole, Ryan
SS (3) Wilson, Wilson, Ebner
FS (3) McCourty, Gregory, Harmon
ST (2) Gostkowski, Allen

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2013

I also had forgotten McDonald.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't see any improvements from last year in our secondary... <sigh>

In terms of personnel, I agree.

Though if the front 7 can generate more pressure and create more turnovers, it has a chance to be better (statistically, anyway).

This defense is not built to be an elite unit. If you want that, you gotta tank and hit on some top 10 picks to build around.

In terms of personnel, I agree.

Though if the front 7 can generate more pressure and create more turnovers, it has a chance to be better (statistically, anyway).

This defense is not built to be an elite unit. If you want that, you gotta tank and hit on some top 10 picks to build around.

Couldn't agree more

Re: Patriots Roster Reaction 2013

I have no problem with the roster structure except the obvious need for an additional DT.

I am fine with keeping the extra special teamers: Tarpinian, Beauharnais and Ebner. We do not need more than 5 position linebackers or 5 position safeties. We l=only need 4 position safeties, but Harmon is IMHO a developmental position.

While not official until the team announces it tonight at 6pm, and the roster being very much in flux until at least Tuesday, the Patriots have cut down to 53 players, and we have reports on who those players were. Using those reports, we can conclude that the initial roster for the Patriots entering 2013 is as follows:

RB: LeGarrette Blount, Brandon Bolden, Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, Leon Washington
WR: Danny Amendola, Josh Boyce, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Mark Harrison (NFI), Matthew Slater, Kenbrell Thompkins
OL: Marcus Cannon, Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins, Chris McDonald, Nate Solder, Will Svitek, Sebastian Vollmer, Ryan Wendell

LB: Steve Beauharnais, Jamie Collins, Dane Fletcher, Dont'a Hightower, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Jeff Tarpinian
S: Nate Ebner, Steve Gregory, Duron Harmon, Devin McCourty, Adrian Wilson, Tavon Wilson

A few thoughts...

* In the end, it seems that Tim Tebow's character and potential didn't shine enough to outweigh his play on the field. He's a great guy and I wish him all the best, but he simply isn't NFL QB material.

* Despite rumblings, both Bolden and Washington make the team... for now. Additionally, James Develin makes it as a FB/H-Back hybrid, similar to Hooman. 6 RBs is a lot, so I have to wonder if someone will be shipped out / shut down due to health.

* The Wide Receivers are as we expected them to be. The top 3 will likely consist of Amendola, Thompkins and Edelman, with Dobson and Boyce sprinkled in accordingly as they continue to develop. They just aren't as game ready as the other 3, which isn't a knock on their potential whatsoever.

* Tight End is a big question mark. Gronkowski could return in weeks 3-6, but until then Sudfeld and Hooman are left to carry the load. That's not going to cut it. I fully expect a veteran addition in the coming days. Perhaps a Clay Harbor or Tony Moeaki

* The Offensive Line #1-7 is solid, though the #8 spot held by Chris McDonald is tenuous. I wonder if a veteran becomes available will McDonald be let go.

* Defensive End was a surprise to me, as the projected #3,4 and 5 ends were all released. Bequette and Buchanan flashed in game #4, and the staff must feel comfortable with their ability as backups. Ninkovich and Jones are not leaving the field unless injury hits. I still think a veteran addition here would help.

* Defensive Tackle is another question on this roster. Wilfork and Kelly can be a dominant tandem, but Vellano is not adequate depth by any stretch. In my opinion, he is best suited for practice squad. I fully expect the team to add a veteran or two.

* There are currently 7 bodies at linebacker, and the thought here is that it at least 1 too many. If additions are made, one of Tarpinian or Beauharnais could be let go. Otherwise, this is the strongest and deepest position on the defense.

* The ideal top 3 at Cornerback would be Talib, Dennard and Arrington, but Dennard's status could be in question in the coming days, which will likely put Arrington in a starting role to start the season. This group is a little better than what it has been in previous years because of Talib, but it's still a very thin and unreliable group. A veteran could be added if Dennard is jailed or suspended.

* 6 Safetys is a lot for an NFL roster, and there are rumblings that Adrian Wilson is dealing with a hamstring injury. He could be IRd, kept, or released. Something to keep an eye on. Ebner is a good special teamer but otherwise contributes nothing. Same for Tavon Wilson. This group needed to improve from last year and it hasn't unless you count McCourty changing positions. This could be a liability.

* The big surprise on special teams is Allen beating out Mesko. Both are talented, and only time will tell on if this was the right move.

Re: Patriots Roster Reaction 2013

A few thoughts...

This look good as I haven't seen McDonald cut anywhere.
Only question is Morris. I saw an article where he was told he was
being cut on 8/30 but he is not currently listed on NFL.com cut list.

So far, depth chart looks like

Code:
Offense
LWR           80          Amendola, Danny U/SL           11          Edelman, Julian 09/7      82        Boyce, Josh 13/4                                                     
RWR           85          Thompkins, Kenbrell CF13       17          Dobson, Aaron 13/2        18        Slater, Matthew 08/5              
LT            77          Solder, Nate 11/1                                                                              
LG            70          MANKINS, LOGAN 05/1            64          McDonald, Chris CF13                                                                
C             62          Wendell, Ryan CF08                                                                
RG            63          CONNOLLY, DAN SF07             61          Cannon, Marcus 11/5                                                                
RT            76          Vollmer, Sebastian             74          SVITEK, WILL U/Atl                                                                
TE            87          Gronkowski, Rob                47          Hoomanawanui, Michael      44          Sudfeld, Zach CF13                                           
QB            12          BRADY, TOM 00/6                15          Mallett, Ryan 11/3                                                      
RB            22          Ridley, Stevan 11/3            38          Bolden, Brandon CF12       46          Develin, James SF12           35                                
RB            34          Vereen, Shane 11/2             33          WASHINGTON,LEOn CC/Sea     29          Blount, LeGarrette T/TB 

Defense
LDE           50          Ninkovich, Rob SF09            92          Bequette, Jake 12/3                                                   
LDT           75          WILFORK, VINCE 04/1                                                                          
RDT           93          KELLY, TOMMY CC/Oak            64          Vellano, Joe CF13                                           
RDE           95          Jones, Chandler 12/1           99          Buchanan, Michael 13/7                                           
SLB           54          Hightower, Dont'a 12/1         91          Collins, Jamie 13/2                                                     
MLB           55          Spikes, Brandon 10/2           52          Fletcher, Dane CF10        45          Beauharnais, Steve 13/7                                           
WLB           51          Mayo, Jerod 08/1               53          Tarpinian, Jeff CF11                                                                
LCB           31          Talib, Aqib T/TB               23          Cole, Marquice SF12        26          Ryan, Logan 13/3                                 
SS            28          GREGORY, STEVE U/SD            24          WILSON, ADRIAN CC/Arz      30          Harmon, Duron 13/3                                           
FS            32          McCourty, Devin 10/1           27          Wilson, Tavon 12/2         43          Ebner, Nate 12/6                                
RCB           37          Dennard, Alfonzo 12/7          25          Arrington, Kyle SF09       35

Special Teams
P              6          Allen, Ryan CF13                                                                
PK             3          Gostkowski, Stephen 06/4                                                                                     
LS            48          Aiken, Danny W/Buf

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back