PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cowher to Rex:" I wouldn't awake a sleeping giant..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
personally i don't think it's a good idea to poke any team, because it's senseless

but with rex he obviously does it to take all spotlight off his players

i think that's worked out for them

I wouldn't be too sure about that as I posted in a different thread quotes from some Jets players. I think Rex's antics are taking some of the media spotlight off of the team but at the same time putting an extreme amount of pressure on his players. The last part I think will ultimately be the downfall and they [players] will crumble under the pressure.

:bricks:

C'mon guys. Everyone knows BB is Gandalf with his grey hoodie.

Bill.jpg

4354720632_ee397d20ea.jpg

And here he is with Danny Woodhead:

frodogandalf21.jpg

You didn't just think all those short guys were a coincidence, did you? Hobbit power. All in the plan....

And I think this makes Goodell Sauron and Rex the fat Balrog. Mostly because BB gets to yell, "You shall not PASS!"

138px-NasmithGandalfBalrog1.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too sure about that as I posted in a different thread quotes from some Jets players. I think Rex's antics are taking some of the media spotlight off of the team but at the same time putting an extreme amount of pressure on his players. The last part I think will ultimately be the downfall and they [players] will crumble under the pressure.

:bricks:

Rex is one of those guys that you love him when he's on your side, and hate him when he's not. He speaks his mind and doesn't just throw out the usual cliches, which is refreshing.....to us. For Pats fans who are predisposed to hate the Jets as well as are used to the Bellichek "say nothing/grumpy" approach, its reasonable to hold this guy in contempt. After all, Bellichek is one of the best coaches in history and Ryan is the exact opposite of everything that Bellichek is, at least when it comes to the media. For Jet fans, considering we just came out of regime that tried (and failed) to emulate Bellichek's ways, you can imagine why we love this guy. Every coach needs to have their own persona. Rex is who he is and it comes out. Mangini, OTOH, basically only saw how Bellichek ran a team and tried to copy his persona, which ultimately was/is a disaster.

JMO, but all is talking won't really make that much of a difference come game time. The Jets love playing for Rex and embrace his bravado. The Pats love playing for BB and embrace his stoicism. I doubt Brady will play any harder, dive instead of slide, etc. solely on account of a perceived slight from Rex. He hates the Jets, regardless. If the Pats run away with this one, I fully expect Brady to take a shot downfield to rub it in, similar to what they did with Moss on Revis last year. In the (unlikely) event the Jets blow out the Pats, I fully expect the same from the Jets. The border war has gone on for years. I actually thought it died down some after Mangini left....but it hasn't taken long to ramp up - which is a good thing to me.

Rex is one of those guys that you love him when he's on your side, and hate him when he's not. He speaks his mind and doesn't just throw out the usual cliches, which is refreshing.....to us. For Pats fans who are predisposed to hate the Jets as well as are used to the Bellichek "say nothing/grumpy" approach, its reasonable to hold this guy in contempt. After all, Bellichek is one of the best coaches in history and Ryan is the exact opposite of everything that Bellichek is, at least when it comes to the media. For Jet fans, considering we just came out of regime that tried (and failed) to emulate Bellichek's ways, you can imagine why we love this guy. Every coach needs to have their own persona. Rex is who he is and it comes out. Mangini, OTOH, basically only saw how Bellichek ran a team and tried to copy his persona, which ultimately was/is a disaster.

JMO, but all is talking won't really make that much of a difference come game time. The Jets love playing for Rex and embrace his bravado. The Pats love playing for BB and embrace his stoicism. I doubt Brady will play any harder, dive instead of slide, etc. solely on account of a perceived slight from Rex. He hates the Jets, regardless. If the Pats run away with this one, I fully expect Brady to take a shot downfield to rub it in, similar to what they did with Moss on Revis last year. In the (unlikely) event the Jets blow out the Pats, I fully expect the same from the Jets. The border war has gone on for years. I actually thought it died down some after Mangini left....but it hasn't taken long to ramp up - which is a good thing to me.
If I was a Jets fan -- :eek: -- all this talk would piss me off as I would worry that it would give the Pats even more motivation and eliminate any possibility that they'd be complacent.

If I was a Jets fan -- :eek: -- all this talk would piss me off as I would worry that it would give the Pats even more motivation and eliminate any possibility that they'd be complacent.

Actually I'd say Rex is a perfect fit for Jets fans - he talks a big game but can't back it up 90% of the time. ;)

If this Patriots team was complacent playing the Jets in the Divisional round of the playoffs, Bellichek isn't 1/10 of the coach he gets credit for.

Sure, it may cause them to throw an extra TD in the 4th qtr if they're blowing out them out, but at that point, who cares? No matter what the Jets said this week, BB would have found a way to motivate his team.

You are an a@@@@@@
Your mama is s@@@
F@@@ you

What if I say this and all my friends clap and enjoy?

This is the level of your coach and players. Looks like you and other CLASSY JETS fans love this kind of gutter. This is what you are saying.

Brady and BB are smarter than your loud mouth coach or abusive CB who even does not know how many kids he has. They will make sure to put the game away and try to embarrass your coach and classless players. Their goal is SB and not having vicarious pleasure by having verbal diarrhea.

C'mon guys. Everyone knows BB is Gandalf with his grey hoodie.

Bill.jpg

4354720632_ee397d20ea.jpg

And here he is with Danny Woodhead:

frodogandalf21.jpg

You didn't just think all those short guys were a coincidence, did you? Hobbit power. All in the plan....

And I think this makes Goodell Sauron and Rex the fat Balrog. Mostly because BB gets to yell, "You shall not PASS!"

138px-NasmithGandalfBalrog1.jpg
So Belichick will "die" sunday but come back for the AAFC wearing a white hoodie?

You are an a@@@@@@
Your mama is s@@@
F@@@ you

What if I say this and all my friends clap and enjoy?

This is the level of your coach and players. Looks like you and other CLASSY JETS fans love this kind of gutter. This is what you are saying.

Brady and BB are smarter than your loud mouth coach or abusive CB who even does not know how many kids he has. They will make sure to put the game away and try to embarrass your coach and classless players. Their goal is SB and not having vicarious pleasure by having verbal diarrhea.

So, do you really think the Pats will play harder now that they have been disrespected?

Someone should bring to game the unburied the 45-3 ball - hang it on a pole with a sign "Rex...I'm baaack"

My understanding is that there are plenty of Jets fans who think Rex is a **** head just like everyone else.

The only thing that matters is winning games. When Rex is winning, his personality is "awesome" and "takes the spotlight off the players" (whatever that means). When his team is losing, no one even wants to hear what he has to say, and the players get to deal with the embarrassment of being asked about all the pre-game bluster.

I don't see how it can possibly make the Jets a better team, but I understand that many Jets fans will feel forced to defend his antics, because the alternative is admitting their head coach has a decent defensive football mind, and a feeble one at just about everything else.

Last edited:
I love the perception that Rex is doing this as some sort of tactic! As if the fool can stop what comes out of his mouth. Rex, the team and the fans are all cut from the same cloth. They all belong on Gate D cheering for their sister.
Wait, was that an insult, or was it a stratagy.:rolleyes:

if i recall plaxico said something that brady took offense to, and it didn't come back to burn the giants in the sb

Your recollection is half-correct; Plexico predicted a Gints W, albeit a very low scoring game. When inquired about it in his (brady's) PC, Brady responded with a smile/smirk that he's ok with Plexico's prediction but wondered why such a low score and why not a high one.

don't think Brady took offense to it, which might be why it didn't burn the Gints in the SB. ;)

Although IMO, the Pats were never @ 100% and didn't execute properly in the game because the entire team - players and coaches - was throughly distracted by the nasty bomb hurled @ them by the Boston Herald and Mr. Tomase the previous evening that earned a media outcry and scorn against us that still continues.

Last edited:
personally i don't think it's a good idea to poke any team, because it's senseless

but with rex he obviously does it to take all spotlight off his players

i think that's worked out for them

Worked wonders on December 6th.

if i recall plaxico said something that brady took offense to, and it didn't come back to burn the giants in the sb

but this is different for NE, as the only team to even beat them at home in the playoffs, wasn't the jets

anyway, rex does that stuff to take the spotlight off his players and put it on himself

it's worked fairly well so far for him

it used to be alot stupider to feed NE bulletin board material, but that was in the sb days

Superbowl VS Giants is way different in comparisons. Giant's "D" was AWESOME & Relentless comin at Brady disrupting offense. Jets are NO WAY near them this year. And as I do recall Pats as bad as they were out played still had a lead which had to take a 2 Miracles for Giants to win and we all know that prayer was answered.

Last edited:
So, do you really think the Pats will play harder now that they have been disrespected?

I for one think that it will focus the Pats even more than they were. It will unify the team that much more and it gives the Pats the ability to play the "disrespect" card.

I'm not saying that they weren't already motivated to play a division rival in the AFC Divisional round, what I am saying is that this stuff just seems to get the team even more focused and any let down they may have had due to the week off was completely eliminated. Any let down by the young guys who may have gone into the game a little to confident after the 45-3 drubbing will be eliminated.

As Cowher said, you don't want to wake a sleeping giant. Something he has some experience with and say his team get destroyed in the playoffs by the Pats.

I'd call it a wash honestly. Well that's how I see it.

I love love love the Patriots, but Belichick did run up a ton of scores in 2007 when he didn't have to do it. I'd argue that was just as unprofessional in some ways as Rex Ryan's bluster.

I don't the football gods were merciful to Belichick for running up the scores and gunning for it on 4th down in obvious blowouts ( He lost Brady for what became essentially two seasons and lost the Superbowl) and I don't think they will be merciful for Rex Ryan ( pride comes before the fall)

Something to consider is Ryan's method and type of coaching allows him to sell the Jet's differently to Free Agents in the off season. There are players out there who legitimately want to play for Rex Ryan. That's no small thing. On the flip side, the media loves him now while he's winning, but will turn on him on a dime when it suits them. That's IMHO the difference between Belichick and Ryan, Bill knows the media will turn on him in an instant if that headline means more press for them, even if it's not true. I'm not sure Ryan realizes that yet, that the media is waiting at the the bit to drag Ryan down into the mud.

Phil Jackson and Bill Parcells know how to work the media and use them like hookers. They know how to get the media on their side and manipulate them. It's like a "Screw you" with a smile on your face. Belichick I believe knows how to work the media if he wanted to, he just doesn't care. He knows they will turn on him at some point no matter what.

Honestly, and I might be the only one who feels this way, I think much of the Jets success was from Mangini's legacy. He might have some serious limitations as a coach and as a people person, but he does know personnel and he can get his teams playing hard. It will be curious to see where Ryan and Tannenbaum are three years from now when it will be more their team versus a mix of what they did and what Mangini did.

In the NFL, you pay for your pride. Belichick, as much as I love him as a coach, had to in 2008/2009, I wager Ryan will too at some point soon.

but this is different for NE, as the only team to even beat them at home in the playoffs, wasn't the jets

anyway, rex does that stuff to take the spotlight off his players and put it on himself

it's worked fairly well so far for him

it used to be alot stupider to feed NE bulletin board material, but that was in the sb days

Weren't you one of the guys on the Chargers forum that called Brady "classless" for his response to Plaxico, by the way?

Uh guys, the whole Sauron thing might be a bad idea... you know, that part at the end of the movie and all?

Not worried (never saw the movies, but I digress). To paraphrase the old Prof:

"...the gameplans that Belichick, the mighty and accursed, Unuk Karlovac*, the Power of Terror and of Hate, shoved up the ***** of Jets and Steelers are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon they sprout anew, and will bear victories even unto the latest days..." :rocker:

*Google MisTranslate, don't fail me now! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST