PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cowboys and Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 25th ranked Dallas rushing attack is only slightly better than the Jets' - 86 yards/game (compared to New England's 129 yards/game - 6th best in the NFL).

This puts greater pressure on Tony "Oops!" Romo.
That's because the Cowboys are stupid enough to exclude one of their dynamic playmakers in Felix Jones favoring Tony Interception to lose the game for them.

8. Their special teams is much better than ours.

Could you explain this one?

I ask because this is what I see:

Pats: Kick offs: 66.6 YPK
Opponent returns: 24.6
Cowboys Kick Returns: 25 YPR

Cowboys: Kick-offs - 64.9 YPK
Opponent returns: 22.8
Pats Kick returns: 21.9 YPR

Cowboys Punting: 46.4 Average with a net of 36.8 ; Avg. Return Allowed: 8.6
Pats Punt Returns: 12.2 YPR

Pats Punting: 45.6 Avg with a net of 38.6; Avg. Return allowed: 8.375
Cowboys Punt Returns: 7.2 YPR

So, you'll have to forgive me when I say that the numbers don't bear out your claim. In fact, they are very even except for Punt returns where the Pats are clearly better.

Could you explain this one?

I ask because this is what I see:

Pats: Kick offs: 66.6 YPK
Opponent returns: 24.6
Cowboys Kick Returns: 25 YPR

Cowboys: Kick-offs - 64.9 YPK
Opponent returns: 22.8
Pats Kick returns: 21.9 YPR

Cowboys Punting: 46.4 Average with a net of 36.8 ; Avg. Return Allowed: 8.6
Pats Punt Returns: 12.2 YPR

Pats Punting: 45.6 Avg with a net of 38.6; Avg. Return allowed: 8.375
Cowboys Punt Returns: 7.2 YPR

So, you'll have to forgive me when I say that the numbers don't bear out your claim. In fact, they are very even except for Punt returns where the Pats are clearly better.

Excellent. One other stat on the Cowboys is that after 4 games they rank 31st in net opponents punt return yardage. They cough up field position in huge chunks in their punt and kickoff coverage. All good for Brady and the Pats.

In the olden days teams that were struggling could potentially accomplish a lot over the bye. Under the new CBA they get a mandatory week off. Romo probably spent more time on his golf swing than in film study... Not that that would even help him because he is what he is and that's a sandlot player. Under pressure (sometimes self inflicted like the desire to best Brady in his house) these guys revert to form. They can't think all the time, it gives them a headache. And their vaunted defense doesn't get to play against or practice against the level of competition and coaching that they face when they play outside their conference...

This could easily be the toughest offense the pats have faced so far .Not a good matchup vs our secondary.

This could easily be the toughest offense the pats have faced so far .Not a good matchup vs our secondary.

I'd take the Chargers offense over the Cowboys, but they'll drive on this defense too. Luckily, their secondary stinks, so if it comes down to a shootout we'll probably pull it off.

this is a game for Woodhead more than Green-ellis and his "ground and pound" with his screen pass ability/crafty cuts

im expecting a pass heavy offense for this game. as belichick isnt going to play into their strengh by running it alot...hopefully hernandez is farther along in his health and Ochocinco gets some more snaps to take the pressure off of welker/Branch

this will be a true test for our defense if they have truely turned a corner last week against the jets. get brady more possessions than romo and we win.

Last edited:
I'd take the Chargers offense over the Cowboys, but they'll drive on this defense too. Luckily, their secondary stinks, so if it comes down to a shootout we'll probably pull it off.

I disagree. Personally I think Romo is going to shred our secondary this week, especially coming off a bye with something to prove and getting Bryant at full health. Isn't Austin coming back as well?

Romo is quite possibly the biggest choke artist in the game and it sucks that my outlook on the next game is "Well I hope Romo throws a bunch of picks..." in order for us to win...

Almost. The toughest offense that the Patriots defense has faced this year is the Patriots offense. The Pats passing attack is #1 by a lot and the running game gains almost 50 yards/game more than the vaunted Cowboys.

Think of the Patriots' defense as Mel Gibson playing the mythical William Wallace in Braveheart as the English army is charging down the hill on their horses to destroy the Scottish clans and he starts yelling "Hold.....Hold....Hold....Hold..." At the last instant, the dopey English army charges their horses straight into the spears. Brilliant!

Somehow, you just know that if the defense sticks with their assignments and has patience that Tony "Oopsy" Romo will just flip it out there or fumble it for a couple of guys to strengthen their hold on a roster spot.

It would be thoughtful if "Oopsy" would just cough up the ball early so the rout could get underway and save us the drama.

The Cowboys are the Chargers without the talent, fundamentals, or discipline.

One would think that everyone would be aware that the elite pass rushing OLB works against dreg offenses.

Sanchize put up 350+ yards on them.

I disagree. Personally I think Romo is going to shred our secondary this week, especially coming off a bye with something to prove and getting Bryant at full health. Isn't Austin coming back as well?

Romo is quite possibly the biggest choke artist in the game and it sucks that my outlook on the next game is "Well I hope Romo throws a bunch of picks..." in order for us to win...

So how exactly do you disagree? I just said they'll likely drive on us and score points.

Excellent. One other stat on the Cowboys is that after 4 games they rank 31st in net opponents punt return yardage. They cough up field position in huge chunks in their punt and kickoff coverage. All good for Brady and the Pats.

Not to mention a perculiar liking to have their punts blocked and returned for TD's at critical times.

I suspect the Dallas Defense will look a lot like the Cleveland dfense did last year. And that Dallas will completely change up the defense at half time in order to throw Brady off.

New England should spread Dallas out and Brady should throw to the mismatch. however Brady has to know that Dallas will change up the presnap read.

If we go 2 TE 2 WR and a back, then the TE's should have a big day.

Offensively Dallas is going to go after the worst secondary in pro football. I expect us to play a lot of zone but ISO Chung on Whitten as much as possible.

At the end of the game the cleaner Brady's jersey, the better our chances to win.

I expect this to be a very tough game for the Patriots, who could well be upset.

Never undersetimate a Team that has its back to the Wall, and Dallas feels it does.:mad:

Never underestimate a Team that has had a bye week to prepare.:mad:

Never underestimate an opponent when you are coming off a game that you have spent a year getting ready to play. :mad:

I dreaded the Brady statement " I'm glad that this game is over" as he relaxed.:eek:

The only balancing argument for the Pats is that we are seeing the Cowboys in Gillette rather than in Dallas.:)

When the Pats are on offense:

1.I think this is a week to break out the no huddle. Not the hurry up no huddle, but the no huddle that allow the Pats to use their superior sideline coaching and shuffle in a lot of subs, and get the Dallas D either unable to substitute OR be hurrying in subs at the last minute trying to match up.

2. This week the pass/run ration should be more 60/40 in favor of the pass, especially in the beginning of the game. This game is most likely going to be a shoot out, and the team with the fresher D at the end of the game is more likely to win.

3. Ryan did a great job vs the Pats when he was at Cleveland. It should be noted that Cleveland was ALSO coming off a bye before a Pats game. I'm sure the Pats will be seeing that amoeba D that Rob used so effectively in that game. The Pats are now much better prepared to confront it with the run game than they were in Cleveland

4 I doubt Ryan will differ much from what his brother tried. Brady will see a lot of 5 and 6 DB looks, with Dallas rushing only 3 or 4, and/or the same kind of overload blitzes his brother loves. On the down side- rushing only 3 or 4 guys is more of a problem when one of those guys is D Ware. On the plus side- it will be an advantage that the Pats saw a similar D the past week.

When the Pats are on Defense:

1.This SHOULD be a week where we get more pressure on the QB. The Dallas OL isn't that good.

2. This will be a big game for the CBs and Dowling in particular. I am expecting that we will play most of the game with at least 5 DBs on the field regardless of down and distance. Jones is a quality RB, but he'll have to prove that the Cowboy run game is anything more than a diversion, before I'd come off the nickel. It also allows us to have one less LB on the field, and as of now, that's a good thing

3. I'm REALLY hoping that the D will at least start to look more complex that it has recently. I hate the fact that we are looking more like the Jags, and less like a team that game plans for every team differently. Clearly Romo and his receivers will make mistakes in their reads. so its to our advantage to disguise our defenses and post snap looks.

4. I doubt we will see much more than the 10% blitzes given the severity of the Cowboys' big play potential- If we are going to get the QB, it will have be from a 4 or 5 man rush.

Special Teams

This is a week were special teams can really play a big part. The Cowboys don't have a great special teams from what I've seen, and their cover teams can be exploited. I'm going to expect one big play from the special teams this week. In a shoot out, it can mean the difference.

General thoughts

1. I think too man fans are underestimating the Cowboys. They could/should be undefeated going into this game.

2. We cannot expect Romo to automatically turn the ball over to us. It could happen, but you can't game plan for it. Romo was good enough to build those big leads, in the 2 games he gave away. I will be surprised if we are lucky enough that he will do the same for us. We as fans, shouldn't count on it. That being said, I'd love to see us come out with a + on the TO ratio.

3. The Pats should be the healthiest they've been all year. Unfortunately, so should the Cowboys.

4. This should a real shoot out. There is no reason to doubt that the Pats run of 30+ points per game will continue. On the other hand, if the "over" for this game is under 60, Id jump on it

The Cowboys may be the least efficient rushing offense in the NFL. Witten still gets a ton of passes but seems much less effective when the ball comes his way. They aren't afraid to attack downfield...unlike the Jets who apparently didn't realize you are allowed to throw over a defender.

On defense, the Cowboys do a good job against the TE (not looking for a big Gronk day) but stink against RBs. The CBs are average but there is no depth beyond the top 3 (assuming Scandrick is healthy). Solid against the run, particularly between the tackles like the Raiders.

I expect the Pats to keep the Cowboys in the nickel. If Hernandez can go, the Cowboys will have to choose between bracketing him or Welker (can't do both) so one of them should have a big game. Should see a little more Ridley since the opportunities look better outside than they did against the Jets. Woodhead could have a huge game if he is healthy. If not, this is an ideal game for Vereen...but I'm done holding my breath.

I see a good game that comes down to 4th quarter play. If that is true, the advantage shifts dramatically to the Pats. More reliable QB, better special teams and a Dallas defense that tends to "ware" down late in games. The only worry for me is mental toughness based on what both teams were doing this past weekend. Good test for the Pats and I see them passing it...just not with the flying colors we are used to.

I expect this to be a very tough game for the Patriots, who could well be upset.

Never undersetimate a Team that has its back to the Wall, and Dallas feels it does.:mad:

Never underestimate a Team that has had a bye week to prepare.:mad:

Never underestimate an opponent when you are coming off a game that you have spent a year getting ready to play. :mad:

I dreaded the Brady statement " I'm glad that this game is over" as he relaxed.:eek:

The only balancing argument for the Pats is that we are seeing the Cowboys in Gillette rather than in Dallas.:)

No.....

Never undersestimate Tom Brady especially at home!

So how exactly do you disagree? I just said they'll likely drive on us and score points.

They'll likely drive on us and throw picks, thats what Romo does.

Listen, I bet you a million bucks this guy turns the ball over atleast twice.

I am actually more nervous for this game than i was for the Jets..and i am going to miss the entire game :mad::(

patstombstone.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back