PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could/Should game be changed to Monday Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly the people claiming the NFL is losing TV revenue don't understand how the TV contracts work.

Also, I asked whether you thought that the Sunday TV ratings were more important than Player/Employee safety. None of you bothered to actually address that. Good job.

No, you started a thread so you could disagree with what everyone says. Good job.

How do people get to and from the Stadium? They drive. The players are driven in busses.. Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but I've seen a tour bus do multiple 360s. It's a scary sight. And I was watching it from inside a gas station...

I am just saying that, in the interest of safety, should they change it??

This game would be postponed only if they shut down the trains. Maybe one of the Bears fans here could let us know the percentage of CHI fans that take the L to games.

Also, serious question: as much as people complain about the traffic on Route 1 and I95 before and after games/having to walk miles to Gillette or pay astronomical parking prices, etc., why don't more people (who don't use their cars for tailgating) take AMTRAK to Foxboro?

No, you started a thread so you could disagree with what everyone says. Good job.

No. I started a thread to find out what other people though in the event that the Blizzard conditions that hit Minnesota and Wisconsin would also hit the Chicago area..

But, clearly you know what I was thinking... Great job.. :rolleyes:

This game would be postponed only if they shut down the trains. Maybe one of the Bears fans here could let us know the percentage of CHI fans that take the L to games.

Also, serious question: as much as people complain about the traffic on Route 1 and I95 before and after games/having to walk miles to Gillette or pay astronomical parking prices, etc., why don't more people (who don't use their cars for tailgating) take AMTRAK to Foxboro?

I took the train into the Game back in 2004 to see the Pats/Ravens. It was cold and rainy that night.. Unless they've changed their Policy, the train leaves at a certain time. Not a certain time after the game is over.. And I can remember asking whether or not the train would leave at that time (I want to say 7:45 pm since it was a 4:15 game) if the game went into OT and I was told that, yes, the train left at that time regardless of the game..

Clearly the people claiming the NFL is losing TV revenue don't understand how the TV contracts work.

Also, I asked whether you thought that the Sunday TV ratings were more important than Player/Employee safety. None of you bothered to actually address that. Good job.

I never said anything about losing revenue; I said they were losing their main 1:00 Fox game. And no, I don't fully understand how TV contracts work, so if you can actually explain how nobody loses money with this move, that'd be great.

I also took your followup question as rhetorical/sarcastic, not one that needed an answer. Obviously safety is more important. But you're not asking about the safety of homeless and elderly and poor in this weather; you're asking about football fans who bought tickets for a game in December in Chicago They'll be fine.

The NFL has had one stadium put out of commission for at least the next week. Should it really risk the players of 2 more teams by having them play on Sunday afternoon when said blizzard will be moving through the Chicago area? Not to mention all the fans and stadium employees who will also be put at risk?

What are you scared? 30 points later you will chuckle "Hah, snow? Not a problem." I would expect this from a Dolphins fan, football is all about playing in 0 degree heavy snow with ice everywhere, it wouldn't be the same if they treated the players like little kiddies.

Last edited:
You do realize that the weather then was not considered to be a blizzard, yes??

Why do people insist on trying to compare two significantly different scenarios like they have any bearing on one another?

I had thought you made a good point, but I checked the National Weather Service Forecast for the Chicago area and they have a Winter Weather Advisory up, but not a blizzard warning. In fact they are forecasting "only" 1--3 inches of snow throughout the entire day and night. Tomorrow is forecast to be even colder with a high of 12. So, postponing one day probably won't help much. The winds are the differentiating factor today; high winds (25 mph) are forecast also for tomorrow, but not as bad.

I completely agree that these are bad conditions and would not be surprised if a decision was made that the chance of hypothermia among fans sitting in one place in the cold and winds is sufficient reason to postpone the game, but I doubt that they will. I'm used to New England winters, but I can't even imagine how you would have to dress to remain (a) safe and (b) comfortable with 40 MPH winds and eight degree temperatures.

Last edited:
What are you scared? 30 points later you will chuckle "Hah, snow? Not a problem."

Scared? No..

Worried about the players and such? Yes. when I started the thread. Especially in light of a partial collapse of the Metrodome and that both Minnesota and Wisconsin had closed roads and pulled their snow plows in. I also hadn't seen the updated weather reports that had downgraded the storm for the Chicago area.

Well the game is starting in 4 hours, I don't want to put down your thread so I will move on to discuss the game, that will indeed be played.

I think there's a good chance they postpone it. Lake effect snow will mean a lot more than 1-3 inches. 25-35 mph winds put a huge damper on passes over 10 yards...which turns it into 8 men in the box...which makes for a boring game. Not that they'd postpone it for boringness but it is dangerous out there with 50 mph gusts.

Tomorrow night is colder but much less windy. So tomorrow night it is.

Oh.. How the internet has ruined reading comprehension and spelling.. :rolleyes:

What is a FIDEL Position?? Did you mean FETAL position???

I assumed he meant Fidel position -- feet up, with a glass of aged rum and a cohiba.

Eh, never mind. Not worth my time.

Last edited:
I assumed he meant Fidel position -- feet up, with a glass of aged rum and a cohiba.

Cuban rum is rather good. At two or three of the brands are so smooth, it would be criminal to mix it.

And don't forget the cigar

images

Hey guys, Bear fan here.
The forecast I just saw has most of the Chicago area getting 3-5 inches, with slightly less snow in the northern areas. But the lake could get up to 8 inches from lake effect snow... and yes Soldier Field is right on the lake.

This is the same storm that hit Minneapolis, but we aren't getting hit anywhere near as hard as they were hit, according to the forecast. I wouldn't expect any cancellation or postponement.

Man I love watching snow games lol. I'm jacked for this game. The Bears haven't had as many as you might expect playing in Chicago. Just off the top of my head it seems like half the snow games you see on tv are at your place. Maybe it's memories from big Patriot games on national tv...I don't know.

Eh, never mind. Not worth my time.

I didn't "marginalize" people's opinions. I took what they said, weighed it against my post and subsequent posts, and responded in kind.

Again, you clearly made an assumption about why I started the thread and you were wrong. You just can't be bothered to admit that you opened your mouth without thinking first.

As for calling it like you see it, yep.. You do.. And you do it without thinking about it.. Leads to silliness.

Hey guys, Bear fan here.
The forecast I just saw has most of the Chicago area getting 3-5 inches, with slightly less snow in the northern areas. But the lake could get up to 8 inches from lake effect snow... and yes Soldier Field is right on the lake.

This is the same storm that hit Minneapolis, but we aren't getting hit anywhere near as hard as they were hit, according to the forecast. I wouldn't expect any cancellation or postponement.

Man I love watching snow games lol. I'm jacked for this game. The Bears haven't had as many as you might expect playing in Chicago. Just off the top of my head it seems like half the snow games you see on tv are at your place. Maybe it's memories from big Patriot games on national tv...I don't know.

Thanks for the update.. It's appreciated..

For the record, at worst I was expecting a postponement IF the weather had been as bad as it had been in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

If the game can be played free of obvious safety concerns, they should play it. People need to accept responsibility for their own actions. Just because the game is on doesn't mean a father has to pile his 10 year old son in the car and place him in possible harms way. I do admire your position on safety. One fatality caused by a weather related incident on the way to the game because roads weren't closed means responsibility for safety has failed on some front.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back