PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could/Should game be changed to Monday Night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The NFL has had one stadium put out of commission for at least the next week. Should it really risk the players of 2 more teams by having them play on Sunday afternoon when said blizzard will be moving through the Chicago area? Not to mention all the fans and stadium employees who will also be put at risk?

I've got 20 people coming to my house for the game. They durn well better play!!! In all seriousness, they won't cancel the game. It's outdoors, so the stadium won't collapse and the Pats arrived yesterday, so no problem with the traveling team. It's football, baby! The NFL network is hyping Pats/Bears in the snow.

I went to the Miami game years ago when there was a blizzard here. When we got to Foxboro the stadium lots weren't plowed and most of the seats were still under a foot of snow. Only about 1/2 the fans made it (it was the famous snow throwing game). The game went on as scheduled and the Pats won. That is the same outcome I am hoping for today!

Go Pats!!

Unless the Bears put a roof on their stadium I don't understand why it would be delayed

The NFL is already losing their main 1:00 Fox game. I'd be shocked if they did the same with their 4:15 CBS game.

How do people get to and from the Stadium? They drive. The players are driven in busses.. Not sure if anyone else has seen it, but I've seen a tour bus do multiple 360s. It's a scary sight. And I was watching it from inside a gas station...

I am just saying that, in the interest of safety, should they change it??

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the game is moved to Monday. Maybe to dangerous today for the fans and staff.

Last edited:
The NFL is already losing their main 1:00 Fox game. I'd be shocked if they did the same with their 4:15 CBS game.

The NFL changed that game to MNF as it was, so it wasn't losing it..

I wouldn't be shocked unless you think that Sunday TV ratings are more important than Player/Employee safety.

No, Chicago, like Minnesota, is used to bad weather. They will take this in stride and barely notice the severity.

I wouldn't be shocked unless you think that Sunday TV ratings are more important than Player/Employee safety.

This is the NFL. Of course ratings are more important than player and employee safety. Why do you think the league lagged so badly on concussion safety?

Almost no chance game will be cancelled. What is looking attractive is going under on the 38 point over/under line.

Sorry, the league only moves games in natural disaster type of situations. Blizzards rarely cause games to get postponed. If the Giants could have gotten into Minnesota yesterday and the dome didn't collapse, the Giants and Vikes might have still played the game today at 1PM.

Other than the swirling winds, this is real football. I love watching games where they gotta clear off the line markers every time there is a break. I am looking forward to this game other than the fact the winds might ground the passing game.

I was one of about 20,000 people who made the Dolphins blizzard game in 2003. I was at the Snow Bowl game vs. the Raiders. Both those games had horrible traveling conditions. Two of the best games I ever attended though.

Last edited:

I disagree. Since the game is only going to be shown in Minneapolis and NYC instead of that large swath of the nation that was planned, revenue is definitely being lost. Moving another marquee matchup and showing it only in Boston and Chicago would be another huge loss of revenue. Besides, the NFL has consistently shown that revenue does come before safety.

No, Chicago, like Minnesota, is used to bad weather. They will take this in stride and barely notice the severity.

You do realize that Minnesota shut down roads and pulled their plows in, yes?

Midwest Blizzard

Wisconsin, another state that is "used to bad weather" issued a no travel advisory Saturday.

The Monday night game (if played) can't be seen outside NY and MN unless you have Sunday Ticket. So they did lose a good chunk of national audience.

2010 week 14 - Everything you need to know about sports on television - the506.com

Also, Monday looks colder in Chitown.
It's currently 32 degrees, snowing and windy in Chicago. But I am glad we are playing today. Tomorrow's high is 10, low of 0 and windy.
New England Patriots (realpatriots) on Twitter

Clearly the people claiming the NFL is losing TV revenue don't understand how the TV contracts work.

Also, I asked whether you thought that the Sunday TV ratings were more important than Player/Employee safety. None of you bothered to actually address that. Good job.

I think as long as the teams are there, it is possible to be outdoors for a few hours in winter gear without getting hypothermia, there is no lightening (ha ha) in the area, the field is relatively clear and there are 50 yards of visibility at ground level, they will play.

What? You would have wanted them to postpone the Oakland Playoff Game in 2002?

Clearly the people claiming the NFL is losing TV revenue don't understand how the TV contracts work.

Also, I asked whether you thought that the Sunday TV ratings were more important than Player/Employee safety. None of you bothered to actually address that. Good job.
I don't care about the ratings but being from out of town (like you) I wouldn't be able to see the game if they moved it to tomorrow. Seeing the Patriots game live (on TV) is a big deal. As for safety, Chicagoans know how to drive in the snow, I would be surprised if there was anything more than normal fender benders.

I think as long as the teams are there, it is possible to be outdoors for a few hours in winter gear without getting hypothermia, there is no lightening (ha ha) in the area, the field is relatively clear and there are 50 yards of visibility at ground level, they will play.

What? You would have wanted them to postpone the Oakland Playoff Game in 2002?

You do realize that the weather then was not considered to be a blizzard, yes??

Why do people insist on trying to compare two significantly different scenarios like they have any bearing on one another?

The NFL has had one stadium put out of commission for at least the next week. Should it really risk the players of 2 more teams by having them play on Sunday afternoon when said blizzard will be moving through the Chicago area? Not to mention all the fans and stadium employees who will also be put at risk?

are you serious? this isnt ladies tennis

You do realize that Minnesota shut down roads and pulled their plows in, yes?

Midwest Blizzard

Wisconsin, another state that is "used to bad weather" issued a no travel advisory Saturday.

Yes, I believe it was me that posted that information here. I grew up in Minnesota. They do that during the snowfall but once the snowfall is over, everything and I mean everything comes back to life in a matter of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes