PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cornerbacks class of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinFaulk-33

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I read everywher that this year we have a very interesting class of cornerbacks, not only the top tier player, but a lot of first/second rounder that can fit perfectly our system. I think we are going to pick a defensive back, and since the safeties class is weaker than the cb's i would like to pick another CB in the second/third round.

McCourty is going to be our #1 CB next year, and hopefully Dowling can seize that #2 spot. The slot position is a battle between Moore and Arrington but I'd like to see a rookie in there to compete and in a year or two take the starter role. Don't forget that McCourty, Spikes, Gronk and Hernandez could be free agents in the same year so we don't know if we can retain all four of them.

So which CB do you like, which is perfect for our system? Do you think that Belichick will pick another tall one or he is going back to the short but quick one? What about Gilmore?

I hope that you understood what I wrote, I'm still learning english!

I have to wonder why Morris Claiborn has not slid after his slow times at the the Combine. I wonder if he would be in range of the Patriots.

Brandon Boykin would be nice in the slot and is a good returner. Janoris Jenkins would be the type of mantoman, lockdown corner the patriots have not had in decades. Can he keep his nose clean? That's the only question.

Asa Jackson, Cal-Poly...Solid measurables and definitely looked like he belonged at the Senior Bowl. Would like to see him take the slot CB role and push Arrington to a depth CB / ST ace where he belongs.

The guy I would love to see in a Patriots uniform is Josh Norman. He has that one important talent that Ty Law and Assante Samuel both had; great hands. He had 8 picks in 2009 before teams threw away from him. If we must play in a pass-happy league...it would be nice to make opposing teams pay dearly for a poorly-thrown ball.

The best CB in this draft outside the first round is Jamell Fleming. Has the potential to be a shut down corner in the NFL. My only concern is that he's not really a slot guy but someone you play on the outside which means he would be in competition with Dowling/McCourty and I just wonder whether a second round pick (that's what we'll need) is the right value.

The best CB in this draft outside the first round is Jamell Fleming. Has the potential to be a shut down corner in the NFL. My only concern is that he's not really a slot guy but someone you play on the outside which means he would be in competition with Dowling/McCourty and I just wonder whether a second round pick (that's what we'll need) is the right value.

Of course it is. Arrington is pretty solid in the slot. Solid enough to say that's definitely not a need, in my opinion.

An outside corner (or two) is what we want to target for a couple reasons. McCourty could go right back to being horrible. There's a fairly high chance McCourty will be our best option at left safety. While Dowling looked good, it was over a small sample size.

Of course it is. Arrington is pretty solid in the slot. Solid enough to say that's definitely not a need, in my opinion.

An outside corner (or two) is what we want to target for a couple reasons. McCourty could go right back to being horrible. There's a fairly high chance McCourty will be our best option at left safety. While Dowling looked good, it was over a small sample size.

You know me, I'll be doing cartwheels if we draft him - just trying to look at things through BB's eyes.

I think this is a very weak class of CB's. As a whole, they are very slow. The one CB that interests me is Josh Robinson of Central Florida. He seems to have the athleticism and size to play CB. Right now he is ranked as a 3-4 rounder but I expect that he has jumped into 2nd round cinsideration after his performance at the combine. His numbers are better than McCourty's at the combine. His college numbers (coming out as a Jr) for a three year starter are good not great. I feel the opponents have decided not to throw to his side of the field. I like the fact he is bigger than Boykin (coming off a broken leg from the senior bowl).

This WAS an interesting class of cornerbacks....until the combine. They bombed. Very disappointing as a whole.

My man Casey Heyward is getting no respect. I think he goes in the second round and will be a good player. Then again, every other CB rated above him might slide a bit so if he's available at 63 (or whatever number it will be) the Pats should pounce.

He ran 4.53 at the Combine. At that speed he will be seeing a lot of taillights receding into the sunset but he might be good as a zone CB. He will need to be protected with a safety over the top but that is true of most CBs these days.

Last edited:
He ran 4.53 at the Combine. At that speed he will be seeing a lot of taillights receding into the sunset but he might be good as a zone CB. He will need to be protected with a safety over the top but that is true of most CBs these days.

4.43 unofficial. And, that's incredibly irrelevant. Fleming is able to get in and out of breaks with outstanding alacrity. His short shuttle, long shuttle, and 3-cone were all exceptional. In fact, I believe he set the record for the long shuttle. With his physicality and anticipation, he can stick with anyone in the league. I would gladly draft him with our first 2nd round pick.

This WAS an interesting class of cornerbacks....until the combine. They bombed. Very disappointing as a whole.

My man Casey Heyward is getting no respect. I think he goes in the second round and will be a good player. Then again, every other CB rated above him might slide a bit so if he's available at 63 (or whatever number it will be) the Pats should pounce.

If he was really your man you would know how to spell his name.

You sure care about 40 times a lot. :rolleyes:

I have to wonder why Morris Claiborn has not slid after his slow times at the the Combine. I wonder if he would be in range of the Patriots.

No way he'll be in range of the Pats. He should go top 10.

I do wonder why there hasn't been much talk about him running a slower 40 though (at least that I've seen).

One guy to watch is Stephan "Happy" Gilmore. He has good size and ran 4.40. However I suspect he will go in the teens or low twenties. He is a guy that the Patriots could play at CB or free safety if he falls to 27.

My binky Josh Norman ran a very pedestrian 4.66 so he will be a late/mid rounder. The thing I like about him are his hands; they are like glue. Seems like he is a good tackler also; can he play FS? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj1RwYJwinc but of course in this video it looks like he is playing against a High School team.

Josh Robinson is a smaller guy but ran 4.33 and appears to have good hands.

Last edited:
I read everywher that this year we have a very interesting class of cornerbacks, not only the top tier player, but a lot of first/second rounder that can fit perfectly our system. I think we are going to pick a defensive back, and since the safeties class is weaker than the cb's i would like to pick another CB in the second/third round.

McCourty is going to be our #1 CB next year, and hopefully Dowling can seize that #2 spot. The slot position is a battle between Moore and Arrington but I'd like to see a rookie in there to compete and in a year or two take the starter role. Don't forget that McCourty, Spikes, Gronk and Hernandez could be free agents in the same year so we don't know if we can retain all four of them.

So which CB do you like, which is perfect for our system? Do you think that Belichick will pick another tall one or he is going back to the short but quick one? What about Gilmore?

I hope that you understood what I wrote, I'm still learning english!
I agree that McCourty and Dowling will be #1 and #2. I HOPE Dowling stays healthy because he has the talent to be a real solid starting cb for the Pats. One player who may be available late in the 3rd round is cb Leonard Johnson from Iowa State. A quote explains him the best...OSU WR Justin Blackmon said Johnson was “the most physical corner I’ve faced this season”. The Pats need that type of player.

Last edited:
I agree that McCourty and Dowling will be #1 and #2. I HOPE Dowling stays healthy because he has the talent to be a real solid starting cb for the Pats. One player who may be available late in the 3rd round is cb Leonard Johnson from Iowa State. A quote explains him the best...OSU WR Justin Blackmon said Johnson was “the most physical corner I’ve faced this season”. The Pats need that type of player.

A feisty and fearless corner such as Leonard Johnson would be good but I expect he will fall further than the 3d since he ran 4.71 at the Combine and is only 5-10. He could be great at bump & run as long as he has help over the top. Not great hands but he could disrupt routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes