Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the most ideal CB situation for the Pats in 2008?

• Sign Ty Law

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Trade (and pay) Lito Sheppard

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Sign Ty Law and trade for Lito Sheppard

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • Draft a 1st round corner to start opposite Hobbs

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Draft elsewhere in the first round and fill in with 2nd and 3rd round CBs

Votes: 32 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised option 5 is winning.

You guys are really comfortable with Hobbs, two non-first round picks, Mike Richardson, and Jason Webster?

That could be a lot of trouble.

Presume we don't trade down there is no cb worth #7 pick....Count me out for Law of Lito....They both want way too much money.....I really don't see all the hate on Hobbs....Look bro,he was hurt in SB...

I think if you have a pass rush this is almost moot. What has to happen is they have to be COACHABLE and get their game together by the time we play Peyton in the playoffs. I would be we bring in another JAG(which could be Law if he takes a paycut and passes a physical) and pick 2 and 4(I think they like the LSU corner as always). They have Richardson coming back, and he must have showed something otherwise he would have been cut with Lua. Competition in camp is important, depth is too as guys always get hurt. I wouldnt be surprised if they brought Scott back.

For the record -- BB is the expert on CBs. It's BB's pet position and has been for a long time. He'll be the one picking them and working with them throughout TC as will Capers of course. Capers is on board to upgrade the in game management of the secondary, along with the weekly gameplans. By no means will BB be hands off with any new CBs.

No offense Sean. :)

I understand what your saying and i dont disagree but what im focusing on is Bill tries to focus on the defense as a whole never really letting any area slip from him. But for more technical work with players one on one Dom Capers has to be the guy to really push these guys and try them.

signing Ty Law as a "bridge player" would be benficial, fill out the secondary with draft picks.. not sure of the quality of DB's this draft, but it seems that there are worthy candidates..

Ty could play safety, if necessary and move Meriweather to corner. .

Last edited:
i pick 1, and 5. im ok with law coming back, provided its not breaking the bank. the rest, fill in with draft picks. I think b.b. was thinking this all along, and that kinda explains the capers hiring.

Bring back Law and draft a CB early who has starter potential (not necessarily at #7).

No to Meriweather at CB -- he has better Safety skills.

If ever there was a year to draft cb's, this is it.
I believe a trade out of the #7 is of utmost importance, since there isn't a stud ILB available, and I don't think a cb is worth the #7, considering there's not a significant drop in talent across the top 5+ cb's available.

Unless something crazy happens like one of the Longs inexplicably make it to #7, I think they should move out of there. Plenty of cb talent available for less in the mid-late 1st and beyond.
If Ty's not coming cheap, and/or Lito thinks he's getting Asante money with a new contract, neither will be here next year.

The window with this core group is 3, maybe 4 years.

The more I think about it, the more I want to pickup Gholston with that #7 and try to pickup DRC at CB in another round.

Gholston is a beast, but I think DRC is a sleeper pick that's going to really impress.

The more I think about it, the more I want to pickup Gholston with that #7 and try to pickup DRC at CB in another round.

Gholston is a beast, but I think DRC is a sleeper pick that's going to really impress.

Only problem with that is that you and everyone else and their mother now feels that way about DRC. At this pace, he likely goes end of first.

Of course, if the Pats had the #31 pick in the draft ...

Only problem with that is that you and everyone else and their mother now feels that way about DRC. At this pace, he likely goes end of first.

Of course, if the Pats had the #31 pick in the draft ...

Losing that #31 really stinks.
As much as many of us are intrigued by DRC, there's still a good bit of talent around him.
But still, another reason why I think trading out of the #7 is the best option.
Get DRC in the 20's, and p/u a 2nd or 3rd rounder, whatever the points work out too.

I like option #5. Pick-up VG out of OSU with first pick and then draft CBs with the next few picks. Times have changed with how effective corners can be. with all the new pass interference rules. Seems like you can't touch the receiver anymore.

Losing that #31 really stinks.
As much as many of us are intrigued by DRC, there's still a good bit of talent around him.
But still, another reason why I think trading out of the #7 is the best option.
Get DRC in the 20's, and p/u a 2nd or 3rd rounder, whatever the points work out too.

Trading with Dallas would really make a lot of sense in this regard, as Pats would get #22 & #30 (I think?) plus probably another pick or two.

Most mocks currently have him going low 20s, but that could change as buzz builds pre-draft.

I'm surprised option 5 is winning.

You guys are really comfortable with Hobbs, two non-first round picks, Mike Richardson, and Jason Webster?

That could be a lot of trouble.

I think back to 2004 when Troy Brown was playing nickleback. Odd stuff has happened to the Patriot's secondary, especially at CB, and they seem to make it happen. My opinion is that CB gets a lot of attention from fans, but aren't the lynchpin to a successful Patriots defense.

I admit there's a good chance that you'll be right about not having enough playmaking and experience at CB when the season starts if the CB corps looks similar to what you have listed above.

Trading with Dallas would really make a lot of sense in this regard, as Pats would get #22 & #30 (I think?) plus probably another pick or two.

Most mocks currently have him going low 20s, but that could change as buzz builds pre-draft.
I question how much JJ really likes McFadden, but if he's willing to cough up those 2 picks for McChicken legs, then I'm sure BB will be glad to take them.

Btw, whose behind us that would really want him?
Would Al Davis go for him, considering the 'splash' it would make, despite Michael Bush being healthy this year?

Last edited:
option 3 would be the best case for us, we bring back an old loved figure into the locker-room with a good YOUNG cb,

i like option 4 because it means we draft DRC, but its unlikely, very unlikely, we might get groves or gholston, or even trade down

I'd say sign Law and trade for Lito.

Law is a nickelback at this point. He can't cover deep. In the Pats' system, though, he'd be the ideal nickel that presses his guy, then relies on deep help. That would be a welcome change from Gay who played well behind his WR, allowing everything in front of him to be caught.

Lito would step right in Samuel's spot.

Drafting a top CB in the first round would pay dividends down the road, but expecting a rookie to play as well as Samuel did last year is wishful thinking. Even Law was nowhere near the player he was in '96 when a rookie in '95. Remember Samuel getting torched by Proehl in SB38 as a rookie? Those things happen to rookies, even ones destined to sign $57M contracts a few years later.

With this amazing offense, I'd like to see the D reload rather than rebuild and take advantage of the title-contending window this team has. It's a tight window considering the Colts and Chargers are right there with them and Jacksonville and Pittsburgh are never too far behind. If the Pats go the "draft a CB" route, it may not pay off for a couple of years, but who knows what the DL and LB situation will be by then.

Regards,
Chris

I think back to 2004 when Troy Brown was playing nickleback. Odd stuff has happened to the Patriot's secondary, especially at CB, and they seem to make it happen. My opinion is that CB gets a lot of attention from fans, but aren't the lynchpin to a successful Patriots defense.

I admit there's a good chance that you'll be right about not having enough playmaking and experience at CB when the season starts if the CB corps looks similar to what you have listed above.

I agree with this thinking a lot. As the Giants just proved in the SB, a good pass rush can compensate for average corner plays. I was at the game, and I'm not sure if it showed on TV, but play after play, WRs were wide open, but Brady had no time to get the ball to them.

On most plays, the play of 4 to 6 defenders counts before you even get the play of the corners. If you can get top performance out of those 4-6 guys, you can get away with having average talent at the corners. (As Giants just proved this year and Pats did in 03-04.)

A rookie starting opposite Hobbs gives me the shudders. If we can get someone like Lito AND Law, plus draft a promising prospect or two, I'd feel OK going into the season that way. But capable veteran help is mandatory.

I would turn it around. Hobbs starting opposite a rookie scares the hell out of me. Hobbs starting scares the hell out of me.

Bring Law back and either trade, draft or sign a starter on the other side. Live for a year with Law and DB? and hope to sign another FA next year. Make Hobbs a nickle back who covers the third reciever. He is fast enough to use as in a blitz and it keeps him fresh for kick returns.

Shepard would be a perfect solution and is probably a better fit in our defense anyway. He hits people and doesn't mind bump and run coverage. Asante will be missed, but he is gone now. Maybe they will take Hobbs and a bag of balls for Sheppard.:singing:

With the seventh pick, if we don't trade out of the spot, we take Gholston. Seven is really a very good position to be drafting this year. There are 6 really good players in the top of the draft. If there is any surprise picks one of the top six falls to the Pats. If McFadden slips to 7, Dallas seems to have the hots for him. If we get really really lucky, we get Jake Long and move Light to RT.

One way or the other we need at least three more DBs on the roster when the season opens. They all have to have some skills because the Pats go 6 deep on their DB depth chart on game day. That position will be the one that gets the most competition this summer.

I didn't vote in the poll because we need multiple options.

I would sign at least one more vet CB (e.g.: Ty Law, or a reasonable affordable facsimile thereof), preferably two;

I would look to trade for a revenge-seeking, backstabbed-feeling Lito Sheppard, if...The Price is Right;

I would draft two tall, talented CBs with our four first-day draft picks;

And I would aggressively sign multiple UDFA CBs post-draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST