Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What is the most ideal CB situation for the Pats in 2008?

• Sign Ty Law

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Trade (and pay) Lito Sheppard

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Sign Ty Law and trade for Lito Sheppard

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • Draft a 1st round corner to start opposite Hobbs

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Draft elsewhere in the first round and fill in with 2nd and 3rd round CBs

Votes: 32 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePats

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Here are some CB scenarios, please vote and discuss.

I think option 3 is the most ideal.

I doubt it is feasible, however.

Last edited:
OK the poll is up now.

Personally, I'd like to sign Ty Law and draft two corners in the first four rounds.

Also option 2 should read "Trade FOR Lito Sheppard" obviously.

Last edited:
For me personally i like the last option and heres why:

First: I would love to have Law back in any form. Although i prefer nickelback

Second: It lets us spend our first on a guy like Gholston

Third: Using the 2nd and 3rd rounder to draft talent at CB in which CB is very deep this year is an awesome way to restock the backfield.

Fourth: Let a few signed free agents and draftees battle it out for depth and playing time and theres your new CB's. AKA let Dom Capers really decide whos best where and when.

OK the poll is up now.

Personally, I'd like to sign Ty Law and draft two corners in the first four rounds.

I agree, however unless we have a Shamrock up our @$$ and Dallas sends both their first rounders for the right to draft McFadden i somewhat doubt we take a corner in the first round. Anyone think Cason or Mckelvin would be available past the 1st round?

Since I can only tick one, I'll add...

Sign Ty Law AND draft elsewhere in the first round and fill in with 2nd or 3rd round CBs.

Last edited:
A rookie starting opposite Hobbs gives me the shudders. If we can get someone like Lito AND Law, plus draft a promising prospect or two, I'd feel OK going into the season that way. But capable veteran help is mandatory.

Law for sure, make a trade if you can....

mark me down for Law & Lito

Don't know if the thread required a poll, but in any case, I can't see the Pats NOT drafting a corner.

IMO

The Pats should pursue Ty Law.

The Pats, if they acquire Law, don't need to overpay to acquire Lito, but they should put an offer on the table. Larry Fitz-Gerald sounds like he is staying in AZ and Philly lost one trading partner. Getting Lito Shepard would be great, but not a "make or break" move.

The way I look at it, if Lito's contract is up in a year, than I think the Pats offer a second round pick or their third and another late round pick. Then they can franchise Lito or allow him to leave and get a supplemental pick from the whole thing.

Neither Law or Lito would be long term solutions, so there is no doubt that the Pats pick a CB in the draft with one of their early round picks to groom. Unfortunately, if the Pats give up a third and a fifth for Lito, then use a second for a prospect, they have used up most of their draft to get two corner with the opportunity to only recover (at best) a supplemental pick from Lito leaving.

A rookie starting opposite Hobbs gives me the shudders. If we can get someone like Lito AND Law, plus draft a promising prospect or two, I'd feel OK going into the season that way. But capable veteran help is mandatory.
I tend to agree...although I doubt Law and Shepard would happen..but Law and or anbother vet AND draft help...two draftees..one early NON first..and..a later pick...

Signing Webster today will prove to be a good move if he stays healthy. He is capable of more than filling G@y's spot.

I would like to see Law brought back, as well as a corner picked in rd. 2. I think the 1st rd'er will be used on a pass rushing OLB.

Also, look for a RB in rd. 4-5, one of the bigger names that fall.

I voted for Lito & Law. Though I'd be fine with Law and then using the 2nd & 3rds on DBs. Either way, this draft really needs to be a homerun on the DB front.

I went for the Law n Lito option too, no matter how annoying that would make Berman's highlights when the Pats are being highlighted.

That's a lotta coin and a pretty nice draft pick you're talking about. Law will be a bandaid, because of age; I believe Lito's only 27, so he'd be a keeper.

That would put Hobbs and Webster in the nickel and dime rotation, and the backup spots. Hit-Stick would also probably see time at corner. Maybe take a flyer on a guy in the draft to have a developmental prospect, depending on whether better corners, safeties, or linebackers are available.

That's what I'd do. But I don't know how much either wants in terms of pay, and quite frankly, I'm a dumba s s fan. I doubt very seriously that "Let's get those guys that are obviously the pick of the current litter at every position!" is the theory the front office will be going by.

PFnV

AKA let Dom Capers really decide whos best where and when.

For the record -- BB is the expert on CBs. It's BB's pet position and has been for a long time. He'll be the one picking them and working with them throughout TC as will Capers of course. Capers is on board to upgrade the in game management of the secondary, along with the weekly gameplans. By no means will BB be hands off with any new CBs.

No offense Sean. :)

Draft corner in the first, and sign Law.

Law could serve as the veteran to speed up the growth of the rookie corner, and for that matter maybe he can give a few pointers to Hobbs.

I think if Gholston is there at 7 we should take him. If he isn't we should trade down and take a corner. Someone before asked if McKelvin or Cason would be available after the 1st round, and I'm thinking that Cason may fall to early 2nd. Taking Gholston ( if there ) at 7 and trading up for Cason in the 2nd would be so amazing I'd fall over dead.

I'd just use merriweather at this point.

OK the poll is up now.

i say sign Law and draft a CB in the first round...and another in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back