PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Simon to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say that it was a great day?? I was just providing some facts. Spin them any way you want. But please do not put words in my mouth. Gee, the Colts made a mistake with Simon. A mistake that was so critical that it cost them a Super Bowl. Oops, the Colts did win the Super Bowl.

Everything does not count against the cap.

Benefits such as injury protection do not.

See Article 24, Section 1 (b)of the CBA.
'Benefits. “Benefits” and “Player Benefit Costs” mean the aggregate for a League Year of all sums
paid (or to be paid on a proper accrual basis for a League Year) by the NFL and all NFL Teams for, to, or on
behalf of present or former NFL players, but only for:
(i) Pension funding, including the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan (as described in
Article XLVII) and the Second Career Savings Plan (as described in Article XLVIII);
(ii) Group insurance programs, including, life, medical, and dental coverage (as described in Article
XLIX or as required by law), and the Supplemental Disability Plan (as described in Article LI);
(iii) Injury protection (as described in Article XII);
(iv) Workers’ compensation, payroll, unemployment compensation, social security taxes, and
contributions to the fund described in Article LIV, Section 4 below;
(v) Preseason per diem amounts (as described in Sections 3 and 4 of Article XXXVII) and regular season
meal allowances (as described in Article XXXIX);
(vi) Expenses for travel, board and lodging for a player participating in an off-season workout program in
accordance with Section 7(e)(iv)(3) below;
(vii) Payments or reimbursements made to players participating in a Club’s Rookie Orientation Program
(as described in Section 4(n) of Article XVII);
(viii) Moving and travel expenses (as described in Sections 2, 3, and 4 of Article XLI, and Section 8 of
Article XXXVII);
(ix) Postseason pay (as described in Article XLII and Article XLIII); and salary paid to practice squad
players pursuant to a practice squad contract during the postseason, unless the practice squad player contract is
December 6, 2006 DRAFT
ARTICLE XXIV
GUARANTEED LEAGUE WIDE SALARY
SALARY CAP & MINIMUM TEAM SALARY (CONT.)
executed or renegotiated after December 1 for more than the minimum practice squad salary, in which case all salary paid to such a practice squad player during the postseason will be counted as Salary.
(x) Player medical costs (i.e., fees to doctors, hospitals, and other health care providers, and the drugs and other medical cost of supplies, for the treatment of player injuries), but not including salaries of trainers or other
Team personnel, or the cost of Team medical or training equipment (in addition, the amount of player medical costs included in Benefits may not increase by more than ten percent (10%) each League Year). Subject to the
foregoing, Player medical costs shall include one-third of each Club’s expenses for tape used on players and one-third of each Club’s player physical examination costs for signed players (player physical examination
costs relating to the Combine or for Free Agents whom the Club does not sign are not included in Player Benefit
Costs);
(xi) Severance pay (as described in Article L);
(xii) The Player Annuity Program (as described in Article XLVIII-A);
(xiii) The Minimum Salary Benefit (as described in Article XXXVIII-A);
(xiv) The Performance Based Pool (as described in Article XXXVIII-B);
(xv) The Tuition Assistance Plan (as described in Article XLVIII-B);
(xvi) The NFL Players Health Reimbursement Account (as described in Article ____);
(xvii) The “88 Benefit” for former players suffering from dementia (as described in Article ____); and
(xviii) The NFL Player Benefits Committee (as described in Article ____).Without limitation on any other provision of this Agreement, Benefits will not include (1) salary reduction
contributions elected by a player to the Second Career Savings Plan described in Article XLVIII; (2) any tax imposed on the NFL or NFL Clubs pursuant to section 4972 of the Internal Revenue Code for the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan, and (3) attorneys’ fees, costs, or other legal expenses incurred by Clubs in connection with workers’ compensation claims of players. Benefits for a League Year will be determined by adding together all payments made and amounts properly accrued by or on behalf of the NFL and all NFL Clubs for the above purposes during that League Year, except that Benefits for pension funding and the Second Career Savings Plan will be deemed to be made in a League Year for purposes of this Article if made in the Plan Year beginning in the same calendar year as the beginning of such League Year

An injury settlement is NOT injury protection. Injury protection is insurance. Also, I am fairly certain that the Pats had money hit their cap after the injury settlement with Michael McGrew.

Sorry Miguel, but that $4 million or so DID hurt the Pats in 2004. They had a lot of injuries and couldn't afford to bring in anyone at anything other than the minimum. Just like they had in 2003.

The 2004 Patriots won the Super Bowl. I'm sure that the Colts would love to be hurt in the same way.

An injury settlement is NOT injury protection.

When MLR said "injury settlement", I took it as the circumstances as listed in Article 12 which describes injury protection since I do not see how the Colts would agree to an injury settlement in which Simon gets paid for a couple weeks of salary in 2007.

I should have been clearer in my response.

Sorry Miguel, but that $4 million or so DID hurt the Pats in 2004. They had a lot of injuries and couldn't afford to bring in anyone at anything other than the minimum. Just like they had in 2003.

If the Pats were so cap-strapped during the 2004 regular season, why did they reach an extension with Light in October, 2004 and Rodney Bailey in December, 2004?? Those moves took up cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News