Good news from around the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cowboys | Rob Ryan likes what he sees
Sat, 05 May 2012 05:38:21 -0700

Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan has high hopes for the 2012 season. "I just think we'll be better than I think we're gonna be," Ryan said

Read more: NFL News and Rumors - Hot off the Wire Fantasy Football News

A defensive coordinator with that kind of mental acuity should run for public office! He thinks they're going to be better than he thinks... so, that's good, right? Yeah? Right?

Jets | Quinton Coples thinks he knows most of playbook

New York Jets DL Quinton Coples said he felt like he already knew most of what he would need to know about the team's defensive playbook. "The defensive scheme, the majority of it is based off of what we got today," Coples said, "so I grasped the majority of the defensive playbook today."

Read more: Jets | Quinton Coples thinks he knows most of playbook - NFL Hot off the Wire

Good news, Jet's fans. You're first round bust has mastered the playbook in one day!

Bills | Would not have taken Luke Kuechly if available
Sat, 05 May 2012 08:24:56 -0700

Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix said the team would not have taken Carolina Panthers LB Luke Kuechly over CB Stephon Gilmore if both were available in the 2012 NFL Draft because it is harder to find cornerbacks than it is to find linebackers.

Bills fans must be so glad that the Panthers took Kuechly the pick just before the Bills selected Gilmore, so there was no temptation to take the LB instead. Isn't it great how everything works out so well, in the end? Nix managed to draft OLB Nigel Bradham in the 4th and ILB Tank Carder in the 5th. I'm sure they'll be more than adequate consolation for missing out on Kuechly.

Let me just submit this thread now... I'm sure there's more good news on the wire!

This is the time of year when optimism reigns eternal, when Rex Ryan adds another Lombardi trophy to his already full collection by fiat, and when the Pats just keep their mouths shut and start getting down to work. This team has never been in the business of winning spring championships.

Also, I vividly remember feeling euphoric when early rookie minicamp reports in 2006 were glowing over how amazing Chad Jackson looked. It means nothing, as you well know.

I'm sure everybody's real happy knowing that the Patriots got better, too.

God, I hate baseball season.

Ravens | Bryant McKinnie sets target weight
Sat, 05 May 2012 06:26:59 -0700

Baltimore Ravens OT Bryant McKinnie said he is hoping to get down to 350 pounds. At that weight, McKinnie feels he can return to a Pro Bowl level of play. McKinnie currently weighs 365 pounds. "That would be that perfect weight, because when you get too light people start pushing you around," McKinnie said. "That would take away my advantage."

Have to agree, it really would be a shame if McKinnie got too light... say 330 or 340 pounds where he would be almost feather light and way too easy to push around.

LOL... who knew KFFL could be this amusing. Whoever is editing for them missed their true calling.

Just the fact that Coples had the nerve the say something so asinine shows us a glimpse of his overall intelligence and attitude.

Hoping that he really is "V.Gholston 2.0."

What a complete tool.....

For all the hyperbole and brash comparisons being bandied about right now, here's how Tampa Bay hall of fame LB Derek Brooks views rookie LB Lavonte David, and how David responds:

"I know he's an undersized guy who makes plays," Brooks said of David, according to the Tampa Tribune. "They feel he can play well in spaces. He's a high character guy. I've heard he wants to mold his game after me. I can't wait to meet the young man."

David grew up in Miami and followed the Buccaneers during their 2002 Super Bowl season. Though the first-team All-American admired Brooks' play, he said he was not trying to live up to his predecessor's standard.

"I know a lot about Derrick Brooks," David said. "I watched him a lot at Florida State. He's a great football player, a great person as well. A lot of people are trying to compare my game with his, but you can't do that, that's one of the all-time greats. I'm just trying to make a name for myself."

David is competing to start at weakside linebacker, but he doesn't expect the spot to given to him. "You've got earn everything you get," David said. "That's how I was brought up, since I was playing Little League football, I had to earn everything I get. That put that mentality in my head. I had that respect for those guys at Nebraska and I'm going to have the same respect for the guys here."

Bucs' Lavonte David gets seal of approval from Derrick Brooks - NFL.com

David definitely would not have fit in with the Jets. But he would have made a great Patriot.

Bills believe Stephon Gilmore can cover Gronkowski and Hernandez

...If Gilmore can cover either Gronkowski or Hernandez, hopefully the Bills will have someone else to cover the guy that’s not being covered by him.

Kuechly is one of the best cover LBs to come along in a long while, and would have been a pretty legitimate solution to a spy on Gronkowski.

But, good news for the Bills: their 6'0 190lbs CB is going to do the job on 6'6 265lbs of Gronk just fine. And maybe match up with Hernandez too, which will be amazing to see.

I'm more and more convinced that Nix really didn't want 6'3 245lbs Kuechly on his roster. Why would he?

Last edited:
Everyone's happy but BB. According to him, let's wait and see what happens when they get out on the field in a Patriots uniform. They certainly won't know the playbook . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes