PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congrats to Stephen Gostowski on PAT record (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odds of 423 at 99.5% is nearly impossible to comprehend. So, 423 in a row at 92% is about as likely as, well... as nothing imaginable I guess.

Odds of making 423 consecutive at 99.5% is 11.9%...a little better than 1 in 9 chance.

Odds of making 423 consecutive at 92% is 0.000000000000048%... That's thirteen zeroes, folks.

Odds of making 423 consecutive at 99.5% is 11.9%...a little better than 1 in 9 chance.

Odds of making 423 consecutive at 92% is 0.000000000000048%... That's thirteen zeroes, folks.

So I probably shouldn't of rounded up the 98.9% - 99.2% (various averages quoted, with a too large boost to Gost to the top end of that) to 99.5%. :)

By setting a new record with 423 consecutive extra points, Gostowski is likely to hold this record forever, now that the ball is kicked 15 yards further back.

Beyond Gostowski, though, this is a tribute to the constant excellence of the Patriots coaching and special teams. This could have been broken with a block or bad snap at any point.
"...could have been broken with a bad snap..." An amazing feat given that Danny Aiken was the long snapper last year.

Not so sure NFL would ever make the distinction. NHL never did with OT losses (to the chagrin of goalies) for example. Maybe if the record were high profile enough, perhaps. So I'd say the NFL puts no such asterisk on the streak and therefore we won't see it fall. Also like you say, he already hold the 2yd record, so technically there is NO way the streak can be broken already, so Gost wins either way.

I agree, but sportswriters might take a different stance from the NFL.

You gotta love how BB has stockpiled surplus middle round draft picks in the years he's needed to secure a "special" special teamer. Always playing chess

PS....why was Gost short leggin some kickoffs today...Practice for the 10 sprinters on kickoffs???
He must have been tired. by my calculation, with PATs, FGA, and kickoffs, he kicked the ball 19 times yesterday............

It was 6 PATS so 2 (6+ 3 FG) +1 kickoff........

It was 6 PATS so 2 (6+ 3 FG) +1 kickoff........
Nice work. Imagine a kicker involved in 19 plays.
Still....Gost was short legging in the early quarters and I have to believe BB wanted kick off coverage to gain more experience than just sprinting 65 yards. BB looking forward...colder months.....climate affected kicks....coverage will be important.....need game tape of actual coverage work in order to assess. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST