Welcome to PatsFans.com

Colts won’t rest starters against Texans

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by JohnVM, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnVM

JohnVM Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Colts won’t rest starters against Texans | ProFootballTalk

this bodes well for our HFA/bye hopes
  2. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Like I said in the other thread, they are saying all the right things so far. I'll believe it when I see it though
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,822 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Good for us. The Colts will come out fired up for Pagano.

Bad for them, though, if a catastrophic injury occurs with nothing to gain.
  4. Shockt327

Shockt327 Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -2

Good for them. I'll be rooting for them in that match-up; based on their own interests as well as NE's.
  5. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,822 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Even if the Pats had nothing to gain out of it, I'd be rooting for them purely for Pagano.
  6. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

lol... "not in our DNA"

He doesn't know his current franchise very well, does he?

Not in his DNA, sure, but that organization is run at the top by cowardly quitting tankers. Curtis Painter will probably get a nice Christmas bonus for life for his essential role in delivering Andrew Luck, even though (pathetically) he was actually trying hard!
  7. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,339 / 13 / -5

It is a misnomer that every team rests starters when they have nothing to lose. Even the Pats have played all their starters and gone full out in meaningless games at the end of the season in the past.

Besides, recent history has shown that teams that are playing for real all the way through the regular season even without a bye still can win the Super Bowl. The Giants went all out against the Pats in 2007 with nothing to play for except pride and won the Super Bowl. Five of the last seven Super Bowl winners played in the Wild Card round and I don't think any of them rested starters in week 17 (although many of them were playing for something).
  8. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +763 / 21 / -26

But its not nothing to gain. There is a lot to gain in keeping the team in competitive mode, in having momentum, in accomplishing a victory against the current #1 seed.
    There may be more to gain that the difference between a 5th and 6 or 4th and 5th seed in the big picture.
  9. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,822 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

There's no exact science to keeping a team competitive. In the end, good coaching should ensure a team stays competitive no matter what happens. Teams have rested starters in Week 17 and have won the Super Bowl and teams have played starters and won the Super Bowl. Teams have played starters with no further seeding to gain and have come away with no injuries. Teams have played starters with no further seeding to gain and have come away with absolutely catastrophic injuries.

If it were my team, I'd rather play it on the safe side. Give the guys an extra bye week to rest their bones and field the healthiest team possible for the Wild Card round.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  10. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +244 / 30 / -16

#12 Jersey

Weird rooting for the colts, no?
  11. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +1,822 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Very weird. But the guy has recovered from Leukemia and it's a great story. Add to that the fact that Manning is no longer there, and it gets easier. Their fans still suck, though.
  12. Get it shawtaay

Get it shawtaay Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

This a thousand times.

The margin for error is so slim in the playoffs that a single "rust-attributable" error might mean golfing. That's as big if not worse of a risk as risking injury or a worse seed.
  13. 102 Pat

102 Pat Rookie

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -2

#85 Jersey

Maybe the mayans were nine days off in their prediction? :D
  14. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I can't say for sure but perhaps he said that with a purpose, and a change in the overall demeanor of the team is in store? Even though the resting strategy didn't hurt them in '09, I know their fans were extremely pissed about quitting and moreso not going for the undefeated season. Last year the team may not have lost on purpose, but it sure as heck look like they packed it in somewhere in the 2nd quarter of the season. One can only hope for our sake this Sunday that he is serious about this.
  15. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Agreed with this word for word. There's no stat or actual evidence I know of that can prove the theory that either approach helps or hurts their team. It basically boils down to what you want to believe.
  16. BananaRepublican

BananaRepublican Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pride supercharged by how famous they would be for busting an undefeated season.
  17. pdangle

pdangle Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0

It'll be an interesting case study set of games. I've seen it espoused a few times that there's little actual proof that extra motivation for home field or byes exist once teams are already in the playoffs. Teams will either, 1) fight all out to get in the playoffs or, 2) they're in and they don't. In other words, BOTH teams will be de-motivated. It seems many fans are automatically assuming the Texans (and the Broncos for that matter) will be playing with true urgency for the bye. But human nature, and, I guess whichever games were used to test this theory, might suggest otherwise; it's more likely lip service and not an actual thing seen on the field. We will see.
  18. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 3 / -1

You have a lot of company in that sentiment, for sure! I hope he fires them up to kick Houston's butt.
  19. Brady=Dilf

Brady=Dilf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't hate the Colts anymore. Most of the obnoxious fans have jumped ship and boarded the Broncos bandwagon now. Luck is a very humble kid and having one hell of a season. Hard not to root for him. I'm also rooting for Chuck. I obviously don't want them to beat the Pats but I'm pulling for them to beat not only Houston but whoever they face in the wild card round.

I can't stand the Broncos or the new wave of Manning-fans. So ******* annoying. All I hear is, "wait for the rematch in our house." ******* losers didn't learn the last 10 times Manning blew a playoff game and they still won't learn.
  20. JMarr

JMarr Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0

Exactly how I feel. I know several former hard-core Colts fans (who of course hate the Patriots), who turned into Broncos fans overnight after Peytie got there. Sickening really.

That's why I really don't want the Pats going to Denver in the playoffs. I have a really bad feeling about that scenario and don't know how I'd handle it Peyton beat us playing for the Doinks. On the other hand, to beat them in Mile High and stun their idiotic fans would be beyond sweet. :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.