PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Collinsworth: "Uh Oh!! Don't Let Tom Brady Have a SECOND TE Who Can Play!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
??? He's only been on since 2009, we've been winners during that entire time.

Collinsworth has been calling games since the 90s.

Collinsworth has been calling games since the 90s.
Talking about SNF, but I wasn't thinking about that I guess though. I do remember him from his time on fox, I guess I just didn't think of him as much then.

What makes Collinsworth so good (apart from pointing out stuff in regards to plays a lot of people miss and explaining it clearly) is when he just gets all fed up of the refs making bad calls and pointing them out on replay.
I like that he isn't scared to get into some X's and O's of the game, and doesn't speak as if everyone is an idiot that just wants to see more touchdown catches. He was great on Sunday's game against the Bengals, though I've always liked him.

Little off topic, but Collinsworth is really growing on me as my favorite TV color guy in the league. I didn't like him as much his first few years, but he's gotten better in time.

As for Al Michaels, other than Summerall he may be the great of all time. It'll be sad when he retires from the booth.

I've always been a fan of Collinsworth as a color commentator, I have no idea why he gets so much hate.

Comlinsworth is always Insightful accurate and he doesn't show bias torwards one team or another.
Collinsworth, Eisen, Sanders, Mayock, Aikman are my favorite commentators.
For whatever reason my Father in law who is nicest most understanding brilliant men hates Collinsworth and I have no idea why.

I think they will. Worked out great the other night and i think they see this now

It is EXACTLY what Belichick expected. You have to "Give" to "Get". Belichick traded a great, but aging, Guard for a young future APerp clone.

It is EXACTLY what Belichick expected. You have to "Give" to "Get". Belichick traded a great, but aging, Guard for a young future APerp clone.

I always enjoy your optimistic viewpoint, AZ--but I think that was much more geared towards clearing out the contract of Logan Mankins than it was anything (at all) about a soft blocking TE who had been getting his looks this summer as a slot wide receiver.

The 4th round draft pick came in #2, and the acquisition of Tim Wright was 3rd.

I have to admit that some of the whining here gets to be a little much. It reminds me of a guy I knew who would come into the soup kitchen where I volunteer and complain about a free meal. :rolleyes:
At least the person in the soup kitchen is likely having a rough go. This is more like Kraft complaining about not winning the lottery.

No

im cautiously optimistic about that trade going forward.....BB knows when its ok to cut loose of someone

I agree that they aren't clones (Hopefully not off the field, that's for sure), but I think their production will mimic each other over time. Just in different ways.

I think Wright is a threat down the field much more so than AH was, but I don't see Wright having the ability to gain the YAC that AH gained, he was something different with the ball in his hand for a big guy.

I kind of like the idea of Wright drawing guys away from the (short) middle though, even if he's a decoy, him and Gronk will create room for Edelman, who should begin being used in a much larger roll underneath again instead of having him running down the field, even if he can actually do that roll quite well more often than not.

I always enjoy your optimistic viewpoint, AZ--but I think that was much more geared towards clearing out the contract of Logan Mankins than it was anything (at all) about a soft blocking TE who had been getting his looks this summer as a slot wide receiver.

supafly,

You might be right, but I thought that the Pats F.O. was planning on keeping Mankins until next year, to ease the Offensive line disruption that they planned, while they drafted for replacements for Center and RG, where aging and expensive Connolly was playing.

Trading Mankins now, had a high cost in both disruption, and in un-amortized CAP. The traded player carries his contracted SALARY to his new team; but the old Team faces an acceleration of his non-salary compensation onto their immediate CAP. Miquel can answer that question much better than I.

Trading Mankins was a next year objective, but acquiring and filling the TE "hole", with a young, and proven, Hernandez clone took precedence, I think. The opportunity occured late in Training Camp, and Belichick faced with the dilemma, thought about it, stepped up and made the deal, fully recognizing the consequences, IMHO.

You have to be pretty ignorant to NOT UNDERSTAND what Belichick was doing . The O-line had failed him in the past three season ending title games. Other more important issues having been resolved, it was clear that BB was planning on interior line changes from Draft Day forward.

That is why I regard the "professional sports commentators and analysts" in Boston so poorly. Casual Pats fans might not expect the O-line surgery happening, but these ignoramuses get paid to analyze and think. And they can't, and didn't!

Instead they filled the airways with irrelevancies. Such as, Has Brady lost it; the team is in disruption; the Coach has lost it; the Team has no talent; Kraft is a cheap, bad owner, Yadda, yadda, yadda, ad nauseum.

Anyone with half a brain knew this O-line surgery would take 4-8 weeks to resolve. In week five BB had to get a hiatus as Flemming got hurt. Resorting to the veterans demonstrated the nonsense of much of the blather, that the receivers can't catch, the runners can't run, the QB can't quarterback any more. You just can't build Rome in a Day.

Last edited:
supafly,

I checked Miquel's pages and the Dead money for trading Mankins in 2014, is either $4,255,600 or $8,255,600. I am somewhat confused in understanding what Miquel has posted. He shows no salary for 2014,except the bonuses, and there is a equal 2105 number of $4,000,000, but I don't know if some of that was future salary, but I think not.

So BB ate $8,255,600 to NOT have Mankins play for him in 2014, and subsequently. That is a pretty stiff charge.

I think it swings the decision in favor of trading FOR Wright, rather than trading Mankins for Cap relief.

supafly,

I checked Miquel's pages and the Dead money for trading Mankins in 2014, is either $4,255,600 or $8,255,600. I am somewhat confused in understanding what Miquel has posted. He shows no salary for 2014,except the bonuses, and there is a equal 2105 number of $4,000,000, but I don't know if some of that was future salary, but I think not.

So BB ate $8,255,600 to NOT have Mankins play for him in 2014, and subsequently. That is a pretty stiff charge.

I think it swings the decision in favor of trading FOR Wright, rather than trading Mankins for Cap relief.

I'm not sure how Miguel has worded it, but I do know that we saved over 6 million dollars against the salary cap by trading Mankins. It is possible that you mis-read or do not understand the ins/outs of it. Unfortunately, you went to a salary cap idiot (me) for an explanation, and sadly I cannot help too much.

You may be right that it was done with an eye on Tim Wright. I certainly don't know for sure, I'm just giving my opinion. Even if he was thrown in as a bit of an add-on along with the 4th round draft choice, he still has the obvious potential to work out through hard work and practice, so let's hope for the best.

I still believe that the idea was to free up cap space and get something halfway valuable for him in return, draft choice-wise. It is possible that I am incorrect, however.

The question wasn't ever if he was good. We already knew that, and he had already shown it in a Patriots uniform. The worry was he wasn't good enough to justify a 2 second pocket.

Last night was shades of 2012 though, which was my favorite offense New England has ever ran. Two TE's and no huddle rushing. It didn't look as fast as 2012 (one play every 27 seconds?)... but if the offensive line is going to repeat that performance, it could be.

If that's where this offense can get by November, with our defensive additions since 2012, the Patriots will be incredibly difficult to stop. Our 2012 O was the terror of the NFL, we just couldn't stop a nose bleed against the pass and Gronk was out with injury in the AFCCG.

This team could be terrifying by November with AH's loss finally addressed.

That is what BB has been aiming at doing. He accepted the disruption and the trade of Logan Mankins to re-establish the dynamic duo TE Offense.

Wendell has proved himself against most DT, but Kyle and Dareus are the gargantuan types that give him fits.

We are ahead of schedule at 3-2. I predicted 12-4 in the preseason and that included a loss to Cinncinati.

So the Pats are +1 on my schedule even now.

And the O-line is stabiliizing already, but with only one, of 3, but the most important one change, at Center, already accomplished.

I agree that they aren't clones (Hopefully not off the field, that's for sure), but I think their production will mimic each other over time. Just in different ways.

I think Wright is a threat down the field much more so than AH was, but I don't see Wright having the ability to gain the YAC that AH gained, he was something different with the ball in his hand for a big guy.

I kind of like the idea of Wright drawing guys away from the (short) middle though, even if he's a decoy, him and Gronk will create room for Edelman, who should begin being used in a much larger roll underneath again instead of having him running down the field, even if he can actually do that roll quite well more often than not.

AHern was far shiftier and a better runner after the catch.

Wright is taller (6'4 vs Ahern's 6'1) has longer arms and a larger catch radius.

I think you've got that exactly right, Sup. If BB had a choice of Wright or Mankins for THIS year at similar money, it'd be no contest: Mankins. His decline is overrated, and he's the toughest SOB I ever watched. Love the attitude and grit he brought 9and that talent ain't bad, either). I'm guessing that trade stung BB's sensibilities as much as McGinnest.

If BB had to pick one going forward, it gets trickier, because he has to like what he's seeing from the kid, and Mankins really only has couple of years left, and will be very expensive for every one of them.

The thing I like best from Wright is the way he catches the ball - in his hands and snapped in tight immediately. Very secure with the catch, which is more than a little bit important since he's running routes where he can get lit up as he brings the ball in. He may turn out to be quite a find.

So with Wright, Dobson and LaFell, we have quickly and quietly de-smurfisized the receiving corps.

Last edited:
In this weeks EEI interview, BB offers some good insight on the TE position and what it takes to be on the same page as TB. It is worth a listen.

What surprised me most about Wright was how competitive he was blocking as an in-line blocker.

Hopefully they keep working him in the gameplan. He's a mismatch for LBs.

Unless your trade partner is incompetent. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft