PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Collinsworth on D&C this morning re: Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh. I've heard that before. Personally, I can take guys that know next to nothing about football. That's why I can stomach guys like Dennis Miller and Tony Kornhole. If Gumbel had been lively, I could have at least been able to stomach him as well. As it stands, he's just absolutely boring which is why I hated him. His complete lack of football knowledge only shown through that much more BECAUSE he was so boring.

So, you're a style-over-substance kinda guy?

So, you're a style-over-substance kinda guy?

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a thinly veiled personal attack and I can't, for the life of me, understand why. However, just in case my suspucions are off... no. When I say that I can listen to guys like Dennis Miller and Tony Kornhole, I mean just that. They are listenable not awesome. John Madden was awesome. Ron Jaworski is pretty good. I can tolerate Joe Theismann just because he knows a good bit about the game, though he is a douche.

Another guy that I find listenable even though he isn't a library of football knowledge is Mike Tirico. I like him only because of his booming "IN FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!!" voice everytime a team scores. For evidence of this, see our game vs. the Ravens back in 2007 when Gaffney sealed the game with a touchdown catch in the back of the endzone.

Last edited:
I have a sneaking suspicion that this is a thinly veiled personal attack and I can't, for the life of me, understand why. However, just in case my suspucions are off... no. When I say that I can listen to guys like Dennis Miller and Tony Kornhole, I mean just that. They are listenable not awesome. John Madden was awesome. Ron Jaworski is pretty good. I can tolerate Joe Theismann just because he knows a good bit about the game, though he is a douche.

Another guy that I find listenable even though he isn't a library of football knowledge is Mike Tirico. I like him only because of his booming "IN FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!!" voice everytime a team scores. For evidence of this, see our game vs. the Ravens back in 2007 when Gaffney sealed the game with a touchdown catch in the back of the endzone.

Honestly, not personal at all.

It was based solely on your words "Personally, I can take guys that know next to nothing about football. That's why I can stomach guys like Dennis Miller and Tony Kornhole. If Gumbel had been lively, I could have at least been able to stomach him as well. As it stands, he's just absolutely boring which is why I hated him. His complete lack of football knowledge only shown through that much more BECAUSE he was so boring."

That paragraph is a fully parsed definition for "I'm OK with ignorance on a subject as long as it is said loudly and with verve".

That's fine, in fact, most Americans (judging by viewing and musical tastes) agree with that - - it's why everyone knows who Britney Spears is but haven't ever heard of Brandi Carlile.

I bet everyone liked him when at the begining of the 2007 season (week 3 I think) he said that they were the greatest team he has ever saw.

I bet everyone liked him when at the begining of the 2007 season (week 3 I think) he said that they were the greatest team he has ever saw.

Hee, hee. I clearly remember that Sunday night on NBC. I can still see it now. Costas did one of the all time greatest double-takes. The guy yelped "Whaaattttt?????!!!" and his eyes bulged out of their sockets for a second.

Honestly, not personal at all.

It was based solely on your words "Personally, I can take guys that know next to nothing about football. That's why I can stomach guys like Dennis Miller and Tony Kornhole. If Gumbel had been lively, I could have at least been able to stomach him as well. As it stands, he's just absolutely boring which is why I hated him. His complete lack of football knowledge only shown through that much more BECAUSE he was so boring."

That paragraph is a fully parsed definition for "I'm OK with ignorance on a subject as long as it is said loudly and with verve".

That's fine, in fact, most Americans (judging by viewing and musical tastes) agree with that - - it's why everyone knows who Britney Spears is but haven't ever heard of Brandi Carlile.

Alrighty then. :) For me, guys like Tirico and Miller are basically like an ugly girl. They're not easy on the eyes and you wouldn't date them if someone paid you to but if they have a good enough personality than you can bear to hang out with them from time to time.

And everyone knows who Britney Spears is because she used to look like this: http://www.talkingmakeup.com/pics/news/bb701.jpg and hadn't dated Kevin Federline yet.

EDIT: WARNING: Britney Spears pic is potentially NSFW.

Last edited:
Alrighty then. :)
And everyone knows who Britney Spears is because she used to look like this: http://www.talkingmakeup.com/pics/news/bb701.jpg and hadn't dated Kevin Federline yet.

EDIT: WARNING: Britney Spears pic is potentially NSFW.

Great, but why would you have to suffer through her MUSIC?

Same thing with Dennis Miller or Tony K. I'll happily listen to their stand-up schtick, just not during a freaking football game!!!!!!!!

Word to the wise: Substance and Quality always wins out over Superficial Flash.

Don't ever choose your stockbroker or CPA based on his/her looks or witty jokes.

Bob Kraft learned that when he originally bypassed Belichick in 1997 for Pete Carroll.

Last edited:
Did anyone catch Collinsworth on D&C this morning? When asked about the Patriot offense, he literally wouldn't say one positive thing and instead focused on Carson Palmer and how he "never was the same" the year following the ACL injury.

For any normal QB the psychological aftershocks of an injury are a very legitimate question... even Brady lamented that he would have welcomed taking a hit during the game (just to get past that hurdle too) so Brady himself acknolwedges the psychological impact.

I did a "Joe Theisman" myself and it took me 5 years to stop second guessing my rebuilt knee.

Thus far we haven't seen the slightest indication that Brady is "human" in that respect. He might have such an intense football mind that he won't let injury flashbacks alter his approach.

Even having some firsthand experience with the psychological trauma of such an injury, I'm feeling pretty confident that Brady will return to form.

If I am watching a game with him on; I go Mute.
Can't stand him.

Great, but why would you have to suffer through her MUSIC?

Same thing with Dennis Miller or Tony K. I'll happily listen to their stand-up schtick, just not during a freaking football game!!!!!!!!

Word to the wise: Substance and Quality always wins out over Superficial Flash.

Don't ever choose your stockbroker or CPA based on his/her looks or witty jokes.

Bob Kraft learned that when he originally bypassed Belichick in 1997 for Pete Carroll.

The only time I listen to her music is when I watch her videos, and it isn't for her music. :cool:

Honestly, I'm one of those "wierd" people that loves the game of football so much that I could listen to it without commentators altogether. Having someone on there that can either give me insight into the game or can be entertaining is just a plus for me. Just my opinion...

Folks like Collinsworth are going to beat the "Is he really the same Tom Brady?" drum until the cows come home or at least until Tommy definitively shuts them up; we have to live with that.

I can live with that. :cool:

Collinsworth is a dope. Comparing Palmer's recovery to Brady's assumes both players have the same level of mental toughness and the same ability. Brady is superior in both departments and has proven it for quite awhile now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes