PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coin Toss: Kick or receive? (AFC Championship Game)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Patriots win the coin toss, you want them to....

• Kick

Votes: 42 57.5%
  • Recieve

Votes: 31 42.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pessimistic Pete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Patriots win the coin toss on Sunday, what do you want them to do?

As far as most recent history road AFC Championship Game history:

2013 Denver: Received First (Punted after 3-and-out) [Lost Toss]
2015 Denver: Received First (Punted after 5 plays) [Won Toss]

I think you’ve got to receive. If you kick and KC scores first, it may be tough to come back from that. Better to try and set the tone for the game and help to take the crowd out.

If I have a choice I want the ball. Forget trying to be cute by hopefully scoring right before the half and getting the ball to open the second half. I want to score first, I want to go on the offense and put the other team in a frame of mind of being behind and having to catch up. We might get in their heads thinking of their last loss to the Pats and the whipping we put on the Chargers.Mahomes might feel pressure to counter our score and throw a dumb interception. Brady said once in an interview he prefers to get the ball first and score and said it affects the other teams play calling when they get the ball.

Last edited:
I thought it was a nod to @captain stone. Like a groupie or maybe even a copycat killer. I only know Captain America and Captain Kangaroo. My world is small.

I wont go too off topic but there were a lot of these agrarian rebels during this period of Irish history- Captain Moonlight, Molly Maguires (These were in America also) Whiteboys, Whitefeet ,Blackfeet, Ribbon men .... Think Dead Rabbits in Gangs of New York.

Let Mahomes have the ball first, go 3 and out, and see how he handles it.

I say kick. Make KC come out and execute on the first series if they can while there may still be some jitters. Also it makes the fans who are in a frenzy wait a little bit until the Pats offense takes the field. The longer the cold has to zap the will from them to be loud the better.

Kick this time.

KC will be so amped up and try to score a TD in a couple of plays. First play is usually a run that goes no where just to get warmed up. Basically you need to defend 2 KC plays and force a punt. Next NE needs a long scoring drive chewing up time that hopefully ends in 7, but if not, you have still used up most of the quarter. Around 5 minutes should be remaining.

The goal is to limit the number of KC drives and give yourself an option if things go wrong, to adjust at the half and come out and put up points on the opening drive of the 2nd half.

> Defer
> Get a stop or a turnover on defense to set the tone
> Score a TD on offense

If they can pull off this sequence the game will be like butter. I say go for this strategy.

vs LAC scenario worked pretty well in the cold . touchbacks are not a given . makes sense to give first chance for some early momentum to CP and not Hill..

Receive and test the run. Get as many 3/4yd gains, using as many downs you can per set. Drain the clock as much as possible, have an 7 minute opening drive. Let the cold settle in the bones of KC's offense.

Keep it out of the hands of Mahomes, and you keep it out of the hands of his weapons.

Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore