PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clowney: Overhyped or the next great thing?

I am willing to bet Pittsburgh's DT Aaron Donald, a big short man with excellent quickness, puts up better career numbers than the physical freak who can probably spell his name.

If I were Houston I'd trade down or draft a QB.

Clowney is no doubt a physical freak, an athletic marvel, but is he LaVarr Arrington 2.0? I'm thinking yes.

I am willing to bet Pittsburgh's DT Aaron Donald, a big short man with excellent quickness, puts up better career numbers than the physical freak who can probably spell his name.

If I were Houston I'd trade down or draft a QB.

I'd trade down and draft Donald!

I'd trade down and get a bevy of players including Aaron Donald, the most dominant practice player for the 2014 Senior Bowl and its most dominant defensive lineman.

But I guess the top ten players all are too glamorous to pass up on, even though the Patriots' record of trading down has paid such undeniable positive dividends, even with our poor defensive secondary drafting. If I were the Texans, I'd trade down or take the incredible OT from Auburn, Greg Robinson, who looks to be a top five pick, ahead of Girlfriend Lewan and Jake Matthews.

I'd trade down and get a bevy of players including Aaron Donald, the most dominant practice player for the 2014 Senior Bowl and its most dominant defensive lineman.

But I guess the top ten players all are too glamorous to pass up on, even though the Patriots' record of trading down has paid such undeniable positive dividends, even with our poor defensive secondary drafting. If I were the Texans, I'd trade down or take the incredible OT from Auburn, Greg Robinson, who looks to be a top five pick, ahead of Girlfriend Lewan and Jake Matthews.

When drafting in the top 10, which he's done only twice, BB's gotten Seymour and Mayo.

I can't think of any real reason why I'd rather have him trade down than take another guy like that.

I was listening to Rodney Harrison on the radio yesterday morning and he said he thought Clowney was a better athlete than football player and that his effort level wasn't what he would demand out of a teammate. Just one person's take but worth noting.

NFL Network had a nice feature on "top 10 draft busts" the other day. Some of those guys weren't bad players, but they were busts relative to the enormous expectations on them. In the case of Tony Mandarich, when he found out that he couldn't dominate people like he used to in college, he fell apart. He came back 4 years later and was a solid (if never dominant) lineman.

Clowney could end up in the HOF. Or he could take the money and run. Or he could struggle against better competition and crumble under the weight of the expectations. And that's not even factoring in potential injuries.

Or he could struggle in the lead up to the draft, drop significantly, not get the big payday of top 5, and then "get it" and use all of it as motivation and live up to his athletic potential and become a great player. I don't think anyone would pass on Clowney if he dropped into the high teens or twenties, where the biggest questions come into play are when using a top 5 pick on him and how he would respond to a big contract. It really comes down to what is in there head with so many of these prospects. You have a to be a really talented, really tough, really disciplined , and really motivated football player to become a great NFL player and it doesn't matter how great you measure out if you lack the other qualities. I really have no idea who Clowney is as a person or what he will be willing to turn himself into as a pro, but right now I wouldn't use one of the top picks on him because the questions are too significant imo.

As much as I appreciate Clowney's physical and playmaking abilities, the more he opens his mouth the more concerned I become with his mental make up. In the space of one season, I've gone from he's a must add to a I'm just not that fussed anymore.

I'm just going to keep quiet on this one for year. No use putting my foot in my mouth before he has ever played a down in the NFL.

I've heard about his work ethic and I've seen some of his games. He was dominating two years ago. Complete beast. Did he tank it this season because he didn't want to get injured? Only he knows that.

But when his motor is running he is a force to be reckoned with and all I know is I'd love to have him on this team. If he dropped to a position where the Pats could trade up I would hope they did their homework and if he checks out,pull the trigger. (Fat chance, I know)

Clowney has the tools, but work ethic is an issue. His bench press today wasn't that good for someone his size.

Clowney has the tools, but work ethic is an issue. His bench press today wasn't that good for someone his size.

Clowney has 34 1/2" arms. His bench press result (21 reps) compared reasonably well with other long-armed DEs such as Chandler Jones (22 reps, 35 1/2" arms), Jason Pierre-Paul (19 reps, 34 3/4" arms) and Aldon Smith (20 reps, 34 3/8" arms).

Clowney's work ethic may in fact be an issue, but you can't draw any inference about it based on his bench press results.

When drafting in the top 10, which he's done only twice, BB's gotten Seymour and Mayo.

I can't think of any real reason why I'd rather have him trade down than take another guy like that.

I love his top ten picks. I just worry about how you get there.

Dee Ford on Clowney, FWIW:

"People are just looking at the fact that he's a physical specimen. Honestly if you watch the film, he plays like a blind dog in a meat market, basically. ... There are a lot of intangibles that you need to have to be a great player. You can't just look at the fact that he's a physical specimen. I think the NFL should have learned that by now."

Dee Ford says he's better than Jadeveon Clowney - NFL.com

:boink:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News