PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Clete Blakeman Assigned to Referee Super Bowl 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

tatepatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Report: Clete Blakeman to call Super Bowl 50

Discuss. In my opinion, this is better than Tony Corrente, one of the other possibilities. But of course, Blakeman is well known for his role as the alternate ref who took some of the PSI measurements when we won the AFC Championship Game last year. He is also the referee who picked up the flag that nullified Luke Kuechley's hold/PI on Gronk in the game in Carolina a couple of years ago.

What is there to discuss? No one suggests he incorrectly measured the balls do they? So, what he made one bad call/no-call against the Pats? Couldn't that be said about every single referee???

People have strong opinions on referees, that's what there is to discuss. Like I said, he is better than Corrente. Of course, we have to win on Sunday for this to matter to us.

Report: Clete Blakeman to call Super Bowl 50

Discuss. In my opinion, this is better than Tony Corrente, one of the other possibilities. But of course, Blakeman is well known for his role as the alternate ref who took some of the PSI measurements when we won the AFC Championship Game last year. He is also the referee who picked up the flag that nullified Luke Kuechley's hold/PI on Gronk in the game in Carolina a couple of years ago.

And that's the reason. They are hedging their bets it's a Carolina/Pats Super Bowl. Not good.

In an easier to see description I offer this. Malcolm Butlers' interception the in the Super Bowl would have had some yellow on the field a second later. Key will be, if they get there, to not allow it to come down to that.

Makes me wonder if they first offered it to Ben Drieth (yes he is still alive, age 90 per Wikipedia, ready to "give someone the business" no doubt).

They usually let stuff go in the super bowl. NFL wants to make the game watchable for millions around the world. It really doesn't matter to be honest with you who is blowing the whistle.

Doesn't help that TB got in his face after the Carolina game a few years ago.

So, what he made one bad call/no-call against the Pats?

Also made a bizarre intentional grounding call against Brady at the end of the first half in Seattle four years ago. Brady threw the ball out of the end zone. Anyone ever see that called IG?

This cost the Patriots a field goal (penalty involved a 10 second runoff killing the clock) in a close loss to the Seahawks.

It's not that he made a bad call, it's that he made two very strange to the point of being incomprehensible calls.

I don't know that he's a bad referee but he has been a bad luck charm for the Patriots.

Can he throw a coin in the air and make it spin at the same time?

That seems to be the starting point for gauging refs' competency these days.

Not a huge fan of Blakeman but it could be worse.

Keep in mind, Blakeman, as the head ref, doesn't call most of the penalties anyway. That's up to the rest of his crew (which will be a bunch of guys he probably hasn't worked with all year). He has the authority to overturn them, which of course we've seen go terribly wrong before, but until it happens again I wouldn't be TOO worried.

Blakeman mostly watches for stuff like roughing the passer, QB fumbles, roughing/running into the kicker, but also has final say on replay reviews as well.

What is there to discuss? No one suggests he incorrectly measured the balls do they? So, what he made one bad call/no-call against the Pats? Couldn't that be said about every single referee???
Seriously! Whenever a ref for a game is announced, all people do is complain. I'm being serious: can someone name a ref that they believe is actually decent and would rather have out there?

The best spin I can put on this is that he's better than Corrente or Boger. But not by much, this is nearly worst case scenario. Of the four remaining teams, I think Denver and Carolina are feeling better about their prospects after hearing this news, and Arizona and the Pats are probably feeling a bit worse.

Seriously! Whenever a ref for a game is announced, all people do is complain. I'm being serious: can someone name a ref that they believe is actually decent and would rather have out there?

When Vinovich was announced last year, the response here was positive across the board. Which makes sense, since he's the league's best ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News