PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Wesseling's list of Top 10 Satellite Backs in the NFL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go take a look at how bad some of Polian's drafts were, yet the Colts stayed on top as long as Manning was there. Note the struggles of Denver in the years preceding Manning's arrival, compared to the team's success since. There is no greater 'GM' in football than a truly elite QB.
I agree completely about there being no greater GM than an elite quarterback (TB has given the Pats an unprecented advantage IMHO). And, I think the Colts in the Manning years are an excellent example of how TB might have fared in an average organization: one ring, one SB loss, one 6-10 season, and of course the 2-14 season that led to a number one draft pick. I actually think that TB would have done better (maybe two rings?) but not come close to achieving the sustained excellence that he achieved with the Patriots. I think we are in agreement, just saying it differently, perhaps.

Last edited:
There is no greater 'GM' in football than a truly elite QB.
I heard a great line (not sure who it was from):

"There's a lot of luck in football. It's really unlucky to have a bad quarterback."

I agree completely about there being no greater GM than an elite quarterback (TB has given the Pats an unprecented advantage IMHO). And, I think the Colts in the Manning years are an excellent example of how TB might have fared in an average organization: one ring, one SB loss, one 6-10 season, and of course the 2-14 season that led to a number one draft pick. I actually think that TB would have done better (maybe two rings?) but not the sustained excellence that he achieved with the Patriots. I think we are in agreement, just saying it differently, perhaps.

There is also the point that both BB and Polian had to deal with full year QB injuries with wildly disparate results. Yes, NE had a much better roster when Brady went down than Indy did, but isn't that the point? That Bill's non-Brady roster decisions are still quite good?

There is also the point that both BB and Polian had to deal with full year QB injuries with wildly disparate results. Yes, NE had a much better roster when Brady went down than Indy did, but isn't that the point? That Bill's non-Brady roster decisions are still quite good?

BB's non-Brady roster decisions are aided by Brady being there, because just Brady being there makes them look better. 2011 is a perfect example. Take Brady away from that team, and you're probably not even sniffing the playoffs, never mind making the Super Bowl. And then, to top if off, you're also dealing with the impact of Belichick, the game's best coach, on Belichick the GM.

Using 2008 radically skews the argument, because you're talking about arguably the greatest team ever assembled (yes, major hat tip BB) in 2007 going from 16-0 to missing the playoffs the next year, but it's masked by the gaudy looking record that was a product of a very weak schedule (only 1-3 against a non-division opponent with a .500 record or better).

It doesn't mean that BB doesn't do a good job overall. It just means that it skews things in BB the GM's favor on multiple counts.

UnLucky - The condition of being an NFL* team who tanks the season when there is no franchise QB available in the draft.

What BB does so good is making sure that this team does not live or die by one player. Not even the QB. Where as that Indy team really lived by Manning. The offense was fully designed around him, with no thought about what to do if he went down. And the defense was designed to play an offense that needed to play catch up with Indys offense. When the opponents offense could control the game, Indy struggled.

BB's non-Brady roster decisions are aided by Brady being there, because just Brady being there makes them look better. 2011 is a perfect example. Take Brady away from that team, and you're probably not even sniffing the playoffs, never mind making the Super Bowl. And then, to top if off, you're also dealing with the impact of Belichick, the game's best coach, on Belichick the GM.

Using 2008 radically skews the argument, because you're talking about arguably the greatest team ever assembled (yes, major hat tip BB) in 2007 going from 16-0 to missing the playoffs the next year, but it's masked by the gaudy looking record that was a product of a very weak schedule (only 1-3 against a non-division opponent with a .500 record or better).

It doesn't mean that BB doesn't do a good job overall. It just means that it skews things in BB the GM's favor on multiple counts.

While your tactical football knowledge is vastly superior than my own, you've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders -the most famous of which is: never trust that your ego is smarter than Bill Belichick.

Last edited:
UnLucky - The condition of being an NFL* team who tanks the season when there is no franchise QB available in the draft.

Imagine being a fan of the Chiefs over the past 10 years:

2008 - Draft 5th Miss out on Ryan at #3, pass on Flacco
2009 - Draft 3rd, miss out on Stafford at #1, Sanchez is draft's #2 QB
2010 - Draft 5th, Bradford goes #1, Tebow is draft's #2 QB
2013 - Draft 1st, E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith are draft's top 2 QBs

What BB does so good is making sure that this team does not live or die by one player. Not even the QB. Where as that Indy team really lived by Manning. The offense was fully designed around him, with no thought about what to do if he went down. And the defense was designed to play an offense that needed to play catch up with Indys offense. When the opponents offense could control the game, Indy struggled.

Ehh... Polian screwed up with Painter, but BB couldn't get a 16-0 team into the playoffs the next year once Brady went down.

The drop from the truly elite to the backups is a huge one, save in rare cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back