PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 top QBs in the NFL right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Before this year if i had to make a list it go in order probably Brady Rodgers Ben Brees Newton (he had a great year but not established enough to go higher), E manning, Rivers, Wilson, Luck (injured in 2015 but still up there), Safford.

Now we have had time to see some young QBs a bit longer and see if people really bounce back or can be consistent. Last year was such an odd year for a number of reasons. So as things stand now...

#1 Brady - Simply the best! Better than all the rest. It is insane a 39 year old QB is still the best in the NFL. However clearly he has not lost anything.

#2 Rodgers - For a while I was considering dropping him but he has come on strong again and showed he is still the 2nd best. He has question marks but almost every QB does. His play this year and consistency in past years keep him rightfully here.

#3 Brees - This guy and Ben are very different players and at this point I have to say I have seen enough to say the following. Ben seems to get hurt too often but Brees doesn't. Games played is one of the most underrated stats in the NFL. I give Brees the edge due to it. Also can we get this guy a defense or anything close to it.

#4 Ben - Like him or hate him Ben Roethlisberger has been one of the best QBs for years. When 100% healthy he is arguably better than anyone not named Brady.

#5 Eli Manning - The first change on this list. Not only will Newton not be on but entirely dropped. Last year seemed to be a lightning in the bottle year and now is back with being a good but not great QB just out of the top 10. Eli has had some good statistical years and average ones lately. This year with the worst running game in the NFL and an often pissed off diva WR he has suffered a bit offensively. But every team in the NFL would be a lot happier without the Giants in the playoffs. They have good reason to be. Eli somehow or another just seems to have things work out for him in the playoffs and it is not all luck.

#6 Wilson - He has been pretty good his whole career but i have not seen him struggle like this for a while. However he seems to be healthy and turning it on again. I will give him the benefit of a doubt he has earned.

#7 Carr - The new addition to the list. No longer a 2nd year wonder. Carr can not be ignored. He clearly has what it takes to be elite. However if he wants to climb higher he must do what everyone else her has done and win a playoff game and soon a championship. This will not be his year though.

#8 Luck - Luck has shown more but shows to be inconsistent too often. This year has been up and down for him. He puts up a ton of numbers but has arguably one of the worst supporting cast 52 in the NFL. I want to see what he can do with a better team. I think it is a little of both. Some of it is him trying to do things he shouldn't and some is everyone else around him letting him down.

#9 Rivers - I have never seen a QB suffer more from STs than Rivers. However to say Rivers is not at all to blame for his failings would be highly incorrect. This year though he has the bad luck of being stuck in a very tough division but can never seem to break though to elite status and carry his team to a championship. I have seen him fail too many times when he had realistic chances not to. A QB heading towards the "Hall of Very Good" but never will he sniff the HOF.

#10 Stafford/Ryan - I put Stafford first for a reason. Right now he is barely ahead of Ryan. Seeing what he has done last year and this year without a WR like Julio Jones is very impressive. It feels like being without Calvin Johjson has allowed him to grow into a better player on the whole. Ryan on the other hand is having a great season but has too often had not great seasons for no reason really. This year he has done very well even when passing to guys not named Julio Jones. This I want to see play out more as the year goes on as Ryan has to face some harder defenses.

1. Brady
2. Wilson
3. Brees
4. Rodgers
5. Roethlisberger
6. Ryan
7. Rivers
8. Luck
9. Newton
10. Carr

*When healthy, Romo would be somewhere near 7-8

Top 10 at times (rotating in-and-out): Stafford, Dalton, Manning, Palmer

Top 10 breakout fairly likely: Mariota, Prescott

Right now as of today based on this seasons play...
1. Brady, not even close.
2. Philip Rivers, injuries, bad coaching, bad defense at the end of games.... Doesn't matter this guy is having one of his best years ever.
3. Drew Bree's, not for him and the Saints would be winless.
4. Derek Carr, when Brady is gone he has game to be #1
5. Russell Wilson, never been a big fan but he has carried the Seahags this year which I didn't believe he was capable of. I was wrrrrrrong.
6. Ben R, before the injury had him at #2
7. Matt Ryan, although the season early and if history is any indication of what's to come he could easily drop out of the top ten.
8/9 Flacco/Eli, good streaky QB's that lack consistency. Both tend to throw a bunch of picks it when hot they are pretty good.
10. Newton, Luck? This year meh... Based on results and ability my choice is Alex Smith.

My list is not taking in consideration only this year but more or less an average of the past 5

1-Brady
2-Ben
3-Rodgers
4-Wilson
5-Brees
6-Rivers
7-Luck
8-Romo
9-Newton
10-Eli

Before this year if i had to make a list it go in order probably Brady Rodgers Ben Brees Newton (he had a great year but not established enough to go higher), E manning, Rivers, Wilson, Luck (injured in 2015 but still up there), Safford.

Now we have had time to see some young QBs a bit longer and see if people really bounce back or can be consistent. Last year was such an odd year for a number of reasons. So as things stand now...

#1 Brady - Simply the best! Better than all the rest. It is insane a 39 year old QB is still the best in the NFL. However clearly he has not lost anything.

#2 Rodgers - For a while I was considering dropping him but he has come on strong again and showed he is still the 2nd best. He has question marks but almost every QB does. His play this year and consistency in past years keep him rightfully here.

#3 Brees - This guy and Ben are very different players and at this point I have to say I have seen enough to say the following. Ben seems to get hurt too often but Brees doesn't. Games played is one of the most underrated stats in the NFL. I give Brees the edge due to it. Also can we get this guy a defense or anything close to it.

#4 Ben - Like him or hate him Ben Roethlisberger has been one of the best QBs for years. When 100% healthy he is arguably better than anyone not named Brady.

#5 Eli Manning - The first change on this list. Not only will Newton not be on but entirely dropped. Last year seemed to be a lightning in the bottle year and now is back with being a good but not great QB just out of the top 10. Eli has had some good statistical years and average ones lately. This year with the worst running game in the NFL and an often pissed off diva WR he has suffered a bit offensively. But every team in the NFL would be a lot happier without the Giants in the playoffs. They have good reason to be. Eli somehow or another just seems to have things work out for him in the playoffs and it is not all luck.

#6 Wilson - He has been pretty good his whole career but i have not seen him struggle like this for a while. However he seems to be healthy and turning it on again. I will give him the benefit of a doubt he has earned.

#7 Carr - The new addition to the list. No longer a 2nd year wonder. Carr can not be ignored. He clearly has what it takes to be elite. However if he wants to climb higher he must do what everyone else her has done and win a playoff game and soon a championship. This will not be his year though.

#8 Luck - Luck has shown more but shows to be inconsistent too often. This year has been up and down for him. He puts up a ton of numbers but has arguably one of the worst supporting cast 52 in the NFL. I want to see what he can do with a better team. I think it is a little of both. Some of it is him trying to do things he shouldn't and some is everyone else around him letting him down.

#9 Rivers - I have never seen a QB suffer more from STs than Rivers. However to say Rivers is not at all to blame for his failings would be highly incorrect. This year though he has the bad luck of being stuck in a very tough division but can never seem to break though to elite status and carry his team to a championship. I have seen him fail too many times when he had realistic chances not to. A QB heading towards the "Hall of Very Good" but never will he sniff the HOF.

#10 Stafford/Ryan - I put Stafford first for a reason. Right now he is barely ahead of Ryan. Seeing what he has done last year and this year without a WR like Julio Jones is very impressive. It feels like being without Calvin Johjson has allowed him to grow into a better player on the whole. Ryan on the other hand is having a great season but has too often had not great seasons for no reason really. This year he has done very well even when passing to guys not named Julio Jones. This I want to see play out more as the year goes on as Ryan has to face some harder defenses.

Putting Ryan 10th let alone behind Stafford is just silly. Ryan is on pace for 41 TDs, 7 picks and 5300 yds.

Stafford is on pace for 32 TDs, 9 and 4200 yds. Ryan is top 4 in the league this year.

Putting Ryan 10th let alone behind Stafford is just silly. Ryan is on pace for 41 TDs, 7 picks and 5300 yds.

Stafford is on pace for 32 TDs, 9 and 4200 yds. Ryan is top 4 in the league this year.

It is not just about this year. I took past years into consideration. Ryan is playing great this year but he has been too inconsistent in the past for me to put him higher. Also it is not just about stats but stats are nice of course :p

1) Brady
2) Brady (he's so good he deserves to be on it twice)
3) Jimmy G
4) Kyle "Air" Orton
5) Ryan Fitzgibbons

It is not just about this year. I took past years into consideration. Ryan is playing great this year but he has been too inconsistent in the past for me to put him higher. Also it is not just about stats but stats are nice of course :p
And Stafford hasn't been?

And Stafford hasn't been?

Both have been which is why it is very close. However seeing what Stafford has done this year without a great cast is very encouraging. Like i said very close.

Maybe a bit too unrelated to the original topic but I gotta say that I am impressed with Dak so far. I thought that other teams would have had figured him out by now like it happens to so many new QBs once there is a reasonable amount of game tape. But so far he has kept it together.. pretty encouraging sign..

Just my opinion, but I've never felt that Eli was a top 10 QB.

He is not a very impressive QB. But he got it done in the playoffs twice.... bubble gum on the helmet or not.
He did make a great throw to Manningham in the 2nd SB though and a great catch.

2016 best QB's thus far:

1.)Brady
2.)Carr
3.)Ryan

I am to lazy to go top 10.

Maybe a bit too unrelated to the original topic but I gotta say that I am impressed with Dak so far. I thought that other teams would have had figured him out by now like it happens to so many new QBs once there is a reasonable amount of game tape. But so far he has kept it together.. pretty encouraging sign..

His O line and running game is right up there with the best in the NFL. From what I have seen so far he hasn't been asked to carry a team.

He still would not make this list anyway, but I will point out that I do not miss Peyton. At all.

He was a very good QB, but the way it all hashed out he'll go down as one of the most overrated, along with Elway.

I'm going on 2016 form, not who I believe are the best over their careers.

01. Brady
02. Brees
03. Ryan
04. Stafford
05. Rodgers
06. Carr
07. Rivers
08. Wilson
09. Luck
10. Roethlisberger

His O line and running game is right up there with the best in the NFL. From what I have seen so far he hasn't been asked to carry a team.

I never said he is a top 10 quarterback right now but in contrast to a ****ton of rookies in the past 10 years, defenses have not figured him out within the first 3-5 games which puts him into a pretty respectable group of QBs. If this is not a mirage made possible by his OL (as you suggest) then he might be the most intriguing young QB since Wilson and Luck.

I am also very impressed with Karson Wentz. The NFL* manged to add two good looking young QBs this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST