PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Leak, 3 other UDFA Gators Sign with teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

NE_PATS_FAN_54

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Chris Leak signed with Florida four years ago looking forward to the opportunity to work under and learn from veteran starting quarterback Rex Grossman.

After going unpicked in the NFL draft on Sunday, Leak is finally going to have the opportunity.

Less than an hour after receiving no love in the draft, Leak signed a free-agent contract with the Chicago Bears, making him one happy
quarterback at the end of long and disappointing weekend.

"I'm looking forward to learning from Rex and especially going to a Super Bowl team with a great coach like Lovie Smith," said Leak, who watched the draft at his parents' house in Charlotte, N.C. "So, that's a great situation.

"As far as being able to learn under a veteran quarterback and getting into a great system, you kind of think things happen for a reason. I really believe that."

Leak said going undrafted was a disappointing experience, but he's thankful he had a chance to find a team and a situation that's right for him.

"Every college athlete aspires to be drafted and drafted high," Leak said. "It's just extra motivation going into camp."

Leak's father Curtis said Chicago is a good fit for his son, the all-time leading passer in UF history and the most valuable player in January's national championship game victory over Ohio State.

"It's a perfect situation for him," Curtis said. "They want to bring him in and develop him. I really like that. I'm sold on it. It's a situation that you feel good about."

Three other undrafted Gators, fullback Billy Latsko, center Steve Rissler and defensive tackle Steven Harris, also signed free agent deals shortly after the draft, with the Carolina Panthers, Dallas Cowboys and Denver Broncos, respectively.

http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070429/GATORS01/70429009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe