PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Chris Harris: Broncos Defense has No Weaknesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have about 500 more gifs I'm ready to unload on a ridiculous statement like that.

ok.gif

huh-what.gif

urbit.gif

Seattle had a better secondary, that's it. Next time, put some words into your post to explain your view.

This Broncos D is much better than Seattles.
Playing in New England, I'd give this game to NE... but in Denver, it's a different story. This scares me because if we lose, we will probably get the #2 seed and they will have the #1 seed. I think the home team will win in the playoffs, so this NE vs DEN game might as well be a must-win.

We've won the last two because we played in NE. In DEN, our chances are not as great. That D is playing much better than the Jets D as well, anyone who said the Jets have a better defense is fooling themselves.

If you think I'm wrong, place some bets!
Denvers D will be ranked higher than the Jets D in most categories.
Brady will have his worst performance of the season against Denver.

Hope the Pats pull out a win there but I'm not holding my breath.
Seattle's Defense carried their team to two Super Bowls successfully winning one and losing another. The Broncos D hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl and we're only into week 9 this season. Your comment is untrue.

I have about 500 more gifs I'm ready to unload on a ridiculous statement like that.

Seattle allowed 15.9 pts/game.
Denver is allowing 16.0 pts/game.
But it's a ridiculous comparison? Lol.

Well since you already addressed the obvious fact that Seattle's secondary is better.

Michael Bennett, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Malcolm Smith and Brandon Mebane are better than every player in the Broncos front seven. Bruce Irvine and Von Miller appear to be a wash this year.

I can't even believe we're seriously having this discussion right now.

Seattle's Defense carried their team to two Super Bowls successfully winning one and losing another. The Broncos D hasn't sniffed a Super Bowl and we're only into week 9 this season. Your comment is untrue.

getting to the super bowl does not make the defense better. and of course they haven't sniffed a super bowl, they're only in week 9...

the 2011 patriots D got to a super bowl. are you saying they're better than this denver D too?

what ridiculous logic.

getting to the super bowl does not make the defense better. and of course they haven't sniffed a super bowl, they're only in week 9...

the 2011 patriots D got to a super bowl. are you saying they're better than this denver D too?

what ridiculous logic.

I believe you missed the word "carried" in his post. Our 2011 defense certainly did not carry us to the Super Bowl.

Between this thread and the "Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)" thead, I have no reason to discuss anything football related with you anymore.

In before Interception says the Broncos defense is better than the 1985 Bears.

absolute worst thing Denver can do is lineup Talib on either Edelman or Amendola

I lay even money they steal a page out of BB's own book and try him on Gronk...

Unleash the Kraken sounds about right in that instance...

Well since you already addressed the obvious fact that Seattle's secondary is better.

Michael Bennett, Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, Malcolm Smith and Brandon Mebane are better than every player in the Broncos front seven. Bruce Irvine and Von Miller appear to be a wash this year.

I can't even believe we're seriously having this discussion right now.

Bennett finished with 7 sacks, 31 tackles, and 1 FF.
Ware, who you did not even mention, has 5.5 sacks, 13 tackles, and 1 FF, which puts him on pace for 11 sacks, 26 tackles, and 2 FF.

So...
Bennett: 7/31/1.
Ware: 11/26/2 (on pace for)
Miller: 8/22/2 (on pace for)
But Bennett > Ware and Miller, right?

Wagner: 2/83/0.
Marshall: 3/88/4. (on pace for)

But Wagner > Ware, Miller, Marshall, right?

But Bennett was better than anyone on the Broncos front seven, huh?

Wright is the only one statistically better in those categories, although even Marshall is doing better than he did.

Last edited:
I lay even money they steal a page out of BB's own book and try him on Gronk...

Unleash the Kraken sounds about right in that instance...

That would be the smartest thing they can do. The problem then becomes:

Chris Harris Jr. is on Edelman, who absolutely stole his lunch.
Bradley Roby is on LaFell, a matchup that really favors LaFell.
Dion Lewis gets a linebacker. But wait, you can't put a linebacker on Lewis.

ULHclikJ78DZe.gif

I believe you missed the word "carried" in his post. Our 2011 defense certainly did not carry us to the Super Bowl.

Between this thread and the "Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)" thead, I have no reason to discuss anything football related with you anymore.

Seahawks D: 15.9 pts/game, 267.1 yds/game.
Denvers D: 16.0 pts/game, 261.1 yds/game.

I have no reason to believe you know anything about football to begin with.

want more?

185.6 passing yards per game for Seahawks.
171.9 passing yards per game for Denver.

Maybe we should discuss specifics: their run D is better than 2 years ago, and our offensive line is worse than 2 years ago.

Their run D is third best right now, was 7th best in 2013.

Our rushing offense was 9th best in yards then, is 31st now.

No way we are going to run the ball in a big way on their D.

I'll be happy to come back here and eat crow if I'm wrong, but that seems a kooky prediction. Our plan has been to throw 800 times against much worse run defenses. Will be surprised to see any serious balance. Again, hope I'm wrong! Maybe with a healthy Deion Lewis we can get something out of it?

Realistically, if we win that game it will be on Brady's arm, not scripted running plays.

Anybody who would actually post "31st rushing" needs to be booted off the thread and sent to the practice squad.

Dumb comment.

In before Interception says the Broncos defense is better than the 1985 Bears.

inb4 vrabeljr starts to use his brain and look at the numbers instead of who he idolizes more.
your only football experience is from masterbating to your favorite players from your couch on sundays.

I know that teams are usually behind the Pats in games and the Pats are trying to run the clock, allowing longer clock killing drives. So, I understand that the points allowed does not always tell the whole story.

The Pats are also forcing teams to abandon a more balanced attack and try to be more agressive the keep pace with the Pats record offense. Obviously this is a big part of the first point above.

However, if the Pats had a regular, midpack offense, would they still have this elite D that wouldnt be in the position every game to protect leads and be in the same situations?

Yeah

Anybody who would actually post "31st rushing" needs to be booted off the thread and sent to the practice squad.

Dumb comment.

I said 31st in yards, which is a fact. we've been over how this isn't the final word on our rushing performance, because of how much they've thrown, yadda yadda. but to say our rushing is better, given the stats from 2013, seems questionable, at best, esp given our offensive line problems right now. Yards/game was better in 2013, and yards/carry was better in 2013. We had 4.4 yards/attempt in 2013, and less than 4 this year.

Not sure upon what basis people would want to say our running game is *better* other than subjunctive conditionals. That is, speculation about how good we could or should be if certain conditoins were met. If coulds and shoulds won us SB rings, every homer here would have 'em.

Incidentally, ad hominem is not an argument, it's just lazy.

Last edited:
The Patriots have conceded 133 points this season compared to the Broncos' 112. However, 49 of the points the Patriots have conceded have come after we've achieved a 99% probability of a win (i.e.. garbage time). On the other hand, the Broncos have only conceded 3 garbage time points.

So, excluding garbage time (99% probability of a win), the Patriots have only conceded 84 points compared to the Broncos' 109.

See the link for the full explanation.

Patriots Defense Playing Tremendously, but Garbage Time Skews the Stats
I think that this stats say much more about the teams offenses than defenses. Basically that the defense of the Broncos is what keeps them in the games, and the Pats defense, while very good, often find themself in situations with a good lead because they are playing well, and the offense is taking advantage of that.

I really like our D, and I think that it's better than last year if you look at it overall. This is just my complaint about "garbage time" stats as I think they can be missleading, should not really be used for defenses in a vacuum as they often are here, and that much of what is called garbage time is not garbage time.

Last edited:
No offense to Miller and Ware but they aren't playing like players that need to be double teamed

Ware & Miller combined- 9.5 sacks & 18 QB hits
Chandler Jones - 8.5 sacks & 12 QB hits

But apparently according to the media Ware and Miller are on pace to be a historic pass rushing duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe